international forums

Dave Stevens (Lumberyard)

Sponsor: dlumberyard
Staff member
Sponsor

i was thinking about the idea of creating a topic of links to international forums. We ourselves are an international forum with members from all over the world that can add to the topic. There is a lot of modeling information on different forums so just ship modeling can be expanded to radio control models, model planes, and any type of modeling.
It is one of those things if you do not know it exists you don't look for it.
I look at it as networking and stitching the hobby together.
there is Facebook that is true but there still can be a network of forums.
What is nice is Google translate you can go to any forum and click translate and explore the forum.
another advantage is having one main depot of forums rather than searching hit and miss. Ships of Scale can be the gateway to world wide forums.

so what do you all think a good idea or not?

for example here is one

forums.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
i am not sure how things work internationally but to find forums around the world you need search engines in other countries.
Here in the US google will not show forums in Russia or Japan or other countries. This is where the international membership comes in handy there are many search engines being used here that can locate forums around the world.

if i type in Google ship modeling forums Russia or China nothing comes up
but if someone in Russia or China serches ship modeling forums they may get hits

i would think if the search engine in Russia finds forums we can link to them.

i am not sure how things work internationally but to find forums around the world you need search engines in other countries.
Here in the US google will not show forums in Russia or Japan or other countries. This is where the international membership comes in handy there are many search engines being used here that can locate forums around the world.

if i type in Google ship modeling forums Russia or China nothing comes up
but if someone in Russia or China serches ship modeling forums they may get hits

i would think if the search engine in Russia finds forums we can link to them.
Dave, I can attach two links to forums in Russia if the moderators don't mind.

Zoltan and I are looking into this, please wait on posting any links at this time. If we decide to do this, the links will be posted on the right side of the forum where the AD's are. This would require Admin to perform this computer coding. If you have some links or ideas, perhaps they can be sent via to PM to both Zoltan and myself.

How about just giving the name of the site rather than a link?

i think that will not work because search engines will not be able to find it

there are different search engines in different counties that do not use the same algorithms or users need to activate a VPN whatever that is.
these are some of the most used search engines

UK and France: Bing
Russia: Yandex
Czech Republic: Seznam
Germany and Spain: Conduit
The Netherlands: Vinden.nl
China Baidu, Sogou, Shenma, Haosou

There is a site that has been around for a long time called the mother of all maritime links which is a library of all things nautical, this is a one stop web location to search for stuff. It is common to find on many sites helpful and useful links to forums, clubs and businesses etc. What has not been done is any site offering links to international forums on model ship building.

i think that will not work because search engines will not be able to find it

there are different search engines in different counties that do not use the same algorithms or users need to activate a VPN whatever that is.
these are some of the most used search engines

UK and France: Bing
Russia: Yandex
Czech Republic: Seznam
Germany and Spain: Conduit
The Netherlands: Vinden.nl
China Baidu, Sogou, Shenma, Haosou

There is a site that has been around for a long time called the mother of all maritime links which is a library of all things nautical, this is a one stop web location to search for stuff. It is common to find on many sites helpful and useful links to forums, clubs and businesses etc. What has not been done is any site offering links to international forums on model ship building.
that's all i got. i tried. Cheers!

I would think that naming the site and typing the name in the native language would likely suffice.
My logic and experience tell me that If you can write and can convert your keyboard to type in any language, you would have an easier time finding what you are looking for. If you are looking for something specific from Mars, you need to type your search in Martian not translated Martian: regardless of what search engine you use.

G

All you need is an ip link or a web address. These can be uploaded as a 'hot' link by someone with that information. Shouldn't need to bugger about using a VPN.
That is the normal rout to anything on the net.

All you need is an ip link or a web address. These can be uploaded as a 'hot' link by someone with that information. Shouldn't need to bugger about using a VPN.
That is the normal rout to anything on the net.

your correct with a hot link directly to any other forum you can go right to it, the problem is finding that forum in the first place.

I would think that naming the site and typing the name in the native language would likely suffice.

same problem here how to find a ship modeling forum in say Poland? if you type in google model ship forums in Poland nothing comes up

Bryan Strome, Bachelor of Arts: Geography - Webmaster of Search Engine Colossus
Search Engine Colossus originates from Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada.

now COLOSSUS does list all search engines in every country around the world but if you do not have that search engine on your computer you can not search in another country

colossus.JPG

if you have a forum like this one with members scattered all over the world using many different search engines as a group you can collect an impressive data base of forums and information.
The big question is it it worth the effort? what can sos members actually get out of it? do we have better thing to do here on sos than collect other forums?

There are many participants in this forum from different countries of the world. In his country, the modeler knows his forum. Linking to the home page is enough for others. Then, using the same google translator, you can read the forum in another country. I also read this forum from Russia.

Now and then, when searching, I do come across 'foreign' sites, usually when someone provides a link. Many of these sites are of considerable interest, often with themes not encountered with what we are familiar and therefore quite refreshing with alternative points of view.
If this database becomes established, I for one would welcome it.
Sometimes the foreign sites give language options, yet there are others which defy all attempts at translation. Photography requires no language.

Now and then, when searching, I do come across 'foreign' sites, usually when someone provides a link. Many of these sites are of considerable interest, often with themes not encountered with what we are familiar and therefore quite refreshing with alternative points of view.
If this database becomes established, I for one would welcome it.
Sometimes the foreign sites give language options, yet there are others which defy all attempts at translation. Photography requires no language.

in order to create such a data base i suggest you follow Donnie's suggestion and send them a link to other forums. If enough links are sent in by members they will look into the possibilty of setting it up. Keep in mind this is just a data base and not a discussion about other forums. Let the admin decide what forums to link to. Some may not want to be linked to.

This may be a benefit to sos as the data base grows ship modelers will talk about "hey did you see that international data base over at Ship of Scale, you got to check it out" sos can make it a service to members only thus you have to be a member to access the data base

Zoltan and I are looking into this, please wait on posting any links at this time. If we decide to do this, the links will be posted on the right side of the forum where the AD's are. This would require Admin to perform this computer coding. If you have some links or ideas, perhaps they can be sent via to PM to both Zoltan and myself. Sorry, I meant to include Uwe and Jim.

Back