Ironing Plans?

NMBROOK

Staff member
Forum Moderator

Hi all

In the course of my Saint-Philipe build I am going to need to have various copies of my plans from the monograph copied.This isn't a problem in that I will use a professional printing firm I have used before.The issue is that the plans are folded to fit into the monographs binder.The creases will cause issues and inaccuracies when they are scanned.Is it simply a case of carefully ironing the plans?Has anyone done this before and did they have an issue with the heat shrinking the drawings?These sheets are huge so I am concerned of any variations that may incur.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Exciting to hear what answer you get, I've seen pictures of how the monographs are delivered,
very well packed with many folds on the floor plans.
I think you want to have the drawings intact and work out from scanned drawings,
It is nice to be able to have all the things from your package intact until you finish the project.
Greeting-

Thanks Zolly,Guess I am going to need a LARGE flat area LOL.I will give it a try when we have moved.Possibly lay them on a sheet of hardboard one sheet at a time on the garage floor with another sheet of hardboard on top and then place books on top.When flat I can then roll them up and place in a cardboard tube to take to the print shop.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Last edited:
it simply a case of carefully ironing the plans?Has anyone done this before and did they have an issue with the heat shrinking the drawings?These sheets are huge so I am concerned of any variations that may incur.
I have done this with my plans, it does not shrink with the heat, just use a mild hit. Then I just rolled them up in a tube.

In cases like this I will “reverse” fold the crease if I can. But that might make it worse.
However,
Next thought is just an idea. Maybe a very slight mist of water to soften the crease, then use very mild heat of an iron. I think I would try that. Maybe on a scrap piece of paper first.

In cases like this I will “reverse” fold the crease if I can. But that might make it worse.
However,
Next thought is just an idea. Maybe a very slight mist of water to soften the crease, then use very mild heat of an iron. I think I would try that. Maybe on a scrap piece of paper first.
Moisture is a big nono

Go to FedEx or Kinkos and make large copies. I always use the copies for building and the originals get stored. Making copies also get rid of the folds! :) The Original Corel plans never get unfolded more than a few times, but the copies are so nice you could frame them.

No Fedex or Kinkos in UK.I have somewhere that can copy the AO plans fullsize.The issue is that there are many folds being so large,I need to get rid of the creases to guarantee no distortion from feeding the originals through the rollers of the scanner.

Kind Regards

Nigel

As a follow up.I managed to gently iron my plans just focusing on the crease that runs length ways.This was the worst as multiple layers had been folded.I left the light creases that run across as it was obvious too much heat and the plans were starting to crinkle.These creases shouldn't create an issue as the plans are fed through the rollers of the scanner lengthways,so the rollers should flatten the plan as it runs through.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Once you have your copies made, check them for accuracy. I had copies of a French frigate made on a professional engineering machine and they still turned out off. I ended up having to re-draw the copies I needed onto milar by hand, better accuracy, but very time consuming. Once flattened out for a while, the creases didn't become a problem.

Bob

Hi Bob
Thanks,yes I intend to do just that.I am aware errors may creep in.The plan sheets are some 1.8m long:eek:Fortunately the framing cross sections are only around 400mm wide so any percentage error I hope will be much smaller.Unfortuneately the cross sections are too big to get in an A3 copier:mad:

Kind Regards

Nigel

Back