Is this rigging correct?

Take a look at the photos I made on the Hermione - you will find some photos showing this or parts of this rigging detail

for example
IMG_0503.JPG

IMG_0504.JPG

IMG_0568.JPG

Uwek this seems to be a heart... am not sure... I have the same pictures. Why did AL has a block there? I am confused.

My opinion on this subject the ship model kits and even replicas of the original ship not historically accurate.
I think the kit is wrong, the replic of the Hermione have hearts.
This is also shown on the rigging book by Petterson

IMG_19451.jpg

Thank you. How do you verify this? Was it the practice in the French Navy at that time?
I guess so - and I hope that @G. DELACROIX will confirm or explain more in detail.
I advice usually to buy, or take a closer look, if possible, to the detailed monographies.......

Here is the related page in Jean Claude Lemineur monograph of the Hermione, which would help you very much .

IMG_31001.jpg IMG_31011.jpg IMG_31021.jpg

There are manuscripts and treatises that describe rigging at all times. For L'Hermione, the information is present in "L'Art de la Mature" 1778, Nicolas Romme.

Edit : @Uwek, I never use contemporary documentation, always period documents. To limit the risk of errors.
Hallo Gerard, hope so, that you use the original documentations - and you have a direct access and knowledge of them / and you speak fluently french.
Modelers like me, and purchaser of the monographs from ancre, Delacroix etc. , trust in your work, when you make the huge research for your monographs.
We trust in you......... and check only sometimes.......
I would be so happy, if I could speak french - unfortunately I had in school Latin as second foreign language

I would be so happy, if I could speak french - unfortunately I had in school Latin as second foreign language
Hm....Latin, is very interesting to know. Like the fact, many countries, Democratic society in the Soviet Union (SSSR) period learned the Russian language as a second in schools. Here are some of them: Germany, Polish, Hungary...

IF THE LOVE OF MY LIFE WERE STILL WITH US, I WOULD HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH THE FRENCH, AS SHE WAS FRENCH CANADIAN, SPOKE EXCELLENT FRENCH AND AT ONE TIME A FRENCH TUTOR, unfortunatly i have enough trouble with English. Don

@Uwek @G. DELACROIX
Thank you both so much. Very informative knowledge which I have ignored. It seems that my kit cares more about beeing not so expensive, than beeing naval or historical accurate.

Please @G. DELACROIX if you are so kind, does L'Art de la Mature says that all other tension pairs on the stays (except the two heart pairs of the lower stays, mizzen stay and main preventer) were bull's eyes (thats what AL says in the kits instructions), or those were (main stay,fore stay and fore preventer) also hearts?

@Uwek Sorry but my english isnt good enough to comprehend the copys you have send me.

Last edited:
Take a look at the photos I made on the Hermione - you will find some photos showing this or parts of this rigging detail

for example
View attachment 105981

View attachment 105982

View attachment 105983
Hi Uwe,

Great pictures, interesting to see that on Hermione next to the stays also the shrouds are cable laid instead of hawser? Do you have more detailed pictures of the rigging? As far as I know stays were always cable laid but shrouds were different from yard to yard or country to country.

Hi Uwe,

Great pictures, interesting to see that on Hermione next to the stays also the shrouds are cable laid instead of hawser? Do you have more detailed pictures of the rigging? As far as I know stays were always cable laid but shrouds were different from yard to yard or country to country.
Hallo Maarten, did you use the link to my Hermione visit? These are all photos i made

Back