I've never used an airbrush before

Been modeling since the 50's and always used a brush. I taught myself how to paint without leaving any brush strokes. I've watched many videos about airbrushing and noticed that the airbrush keeps clogging. I've been considering buying one now that they are only about $40 or so and that's with a pump/compressor but the clogging bothers me.
Any comments or suggestions, ideas are welcomed.

Hi thegrindre, I do not use air brush myself. I, as you, prefer a regular brush. Why? My scale is 1:90. I will ruin my wood work with using an air brush. Air brush spreads paint all over the model. One has to protect model areas from air brushing. My belief is the work one has to do protecting the model from contamination associated with air brushing is much bigger compared to just using a regular brush. I use as small regular brushes as sizes 3/0, 5/0, 10/0, 20/0. How can minute items I paint with these be painted with an air brush? I cannot imagine.

This is all just my opinion and you'll no doubt get a lot of different answers about airbrushes.

I would expect to have problems with an airbrush that was bought for $40 with an included compressor. Can't imagine it's more than a single action air valve with no paint volume control.

That aside, most of the time when an airbrush clogs, assuming it's been properly cleaned, it's because the paint isn't thinned properly, or there are chunks in the paint.

Mediocre airbrushes are at least dual action which allows you to control how much paint is applied by moving the trigger back as you push it down. The type of airbrush also makes a big difference. In particular if the cup is attached to the bottom and sucks the paint up from below it's more for painting large surfaces, and needs higher air pressure so shoots more paint. Gravity feed brushes with the cup on the top are typically more for detail and more appropriate for model building type applications. It does take some practice to learn to use one for more than just painting something a solid color.

I don't want to start the whole Iwata argument, but the higher end airbrushes like the Iwata HPCS are a joy to use, and have good control for detail, Worth every penny IMO, but like most, I painted with Badgers for years before I finally broke down and got the Iwata.

For wood ship modeling I use a brush for most things. Airbrushes are great for plastic, and needed for a lot of good weathering techniques, but if you just want to paint a rail black a brush is just as easy and you can do it even after it's attached to the model.

Basically what I would say is if you don't get at least a descent airbrush like Paasche or Badger it's probably just a waste of money.

I won't say it can't be done but I couldn't have done this without an airbrush, but I used a regular brush as well. They are just different tools.

IMG_4457%20%281280x794%29-M.jpg

@MystRacing I cannot paint at all! :( But reading your post I kinda agree with you. With airbrushes is like with any other tools: everyone has it preferable brand and happy. What I think, it would be really nice if you make a set of basic tutorials for our members (including myself). We can start with airbrushes available and what their cons and pross. At least we will avoid buying cheap crap. Basic airbrushing, brushing... How does this sound to you?

... Basically what I would say is if you don't get at least a descent airbrush like Paasche or Badger it's probably just a waste of money.

I won't say it can't be done but I couldn't have done this without an airbrush, but I used a regular brush as well. They are just different tools.

IMG_4457%20%281280x794%29-M.jpg
Not to be showing off or bragging but I could have done that and have with a brush only. :)
That is a fantastic job, my friend.
Thank you for your opinion.

I guess that wraps it up for me. I'm not building plastic models any longer so I'm not going to buy an airbrush.

Thanks again, all.

I've watched many videos about airbrushing and noticed that the airbrush keeps clogging. .
You can add a few drops of Flow Improver or Medium retarder to the paint/thinners mix.
This will help with the flow and slow the drying time in the airbrush considerably.
This Youtube channel is very helpful for beginners:

Last edited:
Making sure you have properly thinned and strained paint to prevent clogs is most important.

As stated you get what you pay for!

Low cost starter sets provide cheaper results!

The better quality of brush and air supply the better the paint job!

And yes prep time and clean up is more with an airbrush than paint and hand brushing!

Back