James Caird model kit

I assume, that it is ok, when we show us here also the two photos presented on their web-page

IMG_2985-1-1024x768.jpg

IMG_2981-1-1024x768.jpg

Scale 1:20 L: 345mm W:110mm H:250mm

The model is expertly designed by John Staib, Master Model Builder and comes with highly detailed English building instructions with color photos showing every step of building the model.

and - it seems to be, that during her voyage there was no ships name painted on the hull. I could not find any contemporary photo showing a name

This does appear to be true. I have researched this with obsession.. especially the James Caird, a rather unique "double-ender" or double-bow. I plan on modeling the Caird as it was leaving Elephant Island, to be part of the display of my Endurance.
I have also looked through the written record - Harry (Henry) McNish's diary and diary entry's of several other crew members.. There is no mention of James Caird's name being physically applied to the vessel.
McNish does write that he was unable to retrieve pitch, putty or ship's paint from the Endurance. What little paint he had to work with was some artist oils of which was used to seal the seams of the James Caird.

Of interest perhaps, in Caroline Alexander’s book The Endurance, on page 140 there is a photograph of “The landing on Elephant Island” on which the name Stancomb Wills is clearly seen.
Whilst that certainly does not prove that J Caird was painted on the other boat, it would seem strange to have painted one name but not the others on the respective boats.
Looking forward to the release of this kit.

To confirm the name of Shackleton’s boat, I contacted an archivist at Dulwich College, with whom I had corresponded while building my own James Caird model. He replied that, yes, there were names painted on the sides of the three boats, and that the name on the Caird was actually “J Caird”. The attached photo, supplied by him from the Dulwich College archives, shows the launch and the name is visible at the bow.

james
Maine

96D82CBC-972B-4AC7-A779-C20AB092CA7D.jpeg

And the James Caird model is now available to order via the website.
It works out at £170 plus £40 shipping if you reside in the UK.
The building instructions are available to download from the Modelerscentral website.

Looks like a nice kit for Shackleton fans but a whole lot of money.

During my own communications with the producers of this kit, particularly about the “J Caird” versus “James Caird” issue, I received an email containing the following statements:

We however will be keeping with the full name "James Caird" as this is what is shown on the boat on display at Dulwich College, South London, UK.”

”Our model is based on the best information available about the boat, its fit-out and equipment etc - we have applied sensible and pragmatic model building decisions for a commercially available model kit. Like with all model ship kits - the model builder is free to make their own interpretations and changes.”

I think that these are reasonable statements. I have built my own model of the James Caird and tried my best to make it match Hurley’s photographs and descriptions in the diaries and writings of those who were there. Some of the kit details - number and spacing of the ribs, shape of the rudder, the name at the bow, total number of strakes - differ from what I was able to find. But, as the kit developers said themselves, model builders can make whatever changes they wish.

I am looking forward to seeing a James Caird build log in the “models built from kits” section of this forum!

James
Maine

Up to the manufacturer if they wish to keep the full name "James Caird" as it presently appears at Dulwich College.
It just won't be accurate as the boat was when it sailed to South Georgia from Elephant Island.
Easily corrected by the model builder of course although the actual script looked smaller on the boat.
Still a lot of money to spend on a kit though.

In my research, this model would not make for a very accurate diorama. I would build it as a closed hull for many reasons. The rib spacing is incorrect and too thick with the plywood edge showing. If I was younger and had all of my power tools back again I would replace them all.

IMG_3262 (1).JPG

IMG_3263 (1).JPG

IMG_3264 (1).JPG

IMG_3265 (1).JPG

IMG_3266 (1).JPG

IMG_3267 (1).JPG

IMG_3268.JPG

IMG_3269 (1).JPG

IMG_3270 (1).JPG

IMG_3271 (1).JPG

IMG_3272 (1).JPG

I think that these would make a much better model or model diorama. I will do mine all wood and no paint.

Back