John Smith's Shallop

Beautiful - Lifelike - very good photography as well. Very well done.

I tried to order this kit but can not figure out how to pay for it so will try to cancel order.

The finish looks great! What did you use? And it looks like you blackened all the brass. Is that blackened or paint?

Hello "Kramer"

The wood is painted with Clou Repair Glaze Macher and varnished with Clear Lacquer Silk Gloss. The brass is finished with Birchwood Casey Black Brass.

Greetings
Ruediger

Hi Lucius

A real beauty, I'm interested in how you get your ropes to have such a natural position? Or maybe Captain John Smith does it :) !!

A real beauty, I'm interested in how you get your ropes to have such a natural position? Or maybe Captain John Smith does it
I make the ropes myself and they are then somewhat stiff and can be put into position by me. Then they are coated with superglue (Loctite 401). This glue has the property not to discolor the material.

Greetings
Ruediger

Thank you Lucius. I was afraid that's what you did. The sails were so realistic. I've downloaded all the You Tube and SOS information I could find and will start trying to learn to hand stitch the sail edges. It's really the only way to do it correctly.

Thank you Lucius. I was afraid that's what you did. The sails were so realistic. I've downloaded all the You Tube and SOS information I could find and will start trying to learn to hand stitch the sail edges. It's really the only way to do it correctly.
Hello Rand,

maybe this picture will help you too. It is from Wolfram zu Mondfeld's book "Historical Ship Models" (unfortunately only in German)

Greeting
Rüdiger
Bildschirm­foto 2023-01-10 um 10.49.02.png

Back