Just arrived - Book "Wooden Warship Construction: A History in Ship Models" by B. Lavery - Interested in a Book Review ?

Uwek

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

Hallo,
In this thread or topic, I will, when ever I get a new book for my library, show you the new copy I received,
and if there is some interest for a "Book Look Inside" or even more detailed a "Book Review" answer with a post here in this topic.
Or give a "like" if you do not want to post.......
After some time I will be able to follow such a request and make here in an additional new Thread such a Book Review.

So if it is for some interest, just post it

Important Info:
This Thread is sticked to the top - and will be as needed actualized with an additional post, when ever I get a new book. So please scroll every time to the actual last posts.
When the review of one book, which introduced here, is finished and posted, I will add every time the link to this review also here in the introduction......

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today I received a copy of

The Sailing Frigate: A History in Ship Models
by Robert GARDINER

IMG_20631.jpg IMG_20651.jpg

• Paperback: 128 pages
  • Publisher: Naval Institute Press; Reprint edition (March 15, 2016)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 184832295X
  • ISBN-13: 978-1848322950
  • Product Dimensions: 7.2 x 0.5 x 9.8 inches
  • Shipping Weight: 14.1 ounces

Post edited by Uwe at 23.rd April 2018:
The detailed book Reviwe with Look Inside photos you can find at this two posts:

https://www.shipsofscale.com/sosfor...story-in-ship-models-by-robert-gardiner.1924/

Last edited:
BTW:
As more request posts and/or likes are coming......as faster will be the release of a book review

Last edited:
A new book arrived and I want to ask you, if there is interest for a Book Review?
So please answer with a post or with a Like.......

Ship Decoration 1630-1780
by Andy Peters

IMG_20921.jpg IMG_20931.jpg

Synopsis:

This book is a detailed comparative study of the decorative work - figurehead, topside ornamentation and stern gallery design - carried by the ships of the major maritime states of Europe in the zenith of the sailing era. It covers both warships and the most prestigious merchant ships, the East Indiamen of the great chartered companies. The work began life in the year 2000 when the author was commissioned to carry out research for an ambitious project to build a full-size replica of a Swedish East Indiaman, which produced a corpus of information whose relevance stretched way beyond the immediate requirements of accurately decorating the replica. In tracking the artistic influences on European ship decoration, it became clear that this was essentially the story of the baroque style, its dissemination from France, and its gradual transformation into distinct national variations in Britain, the Netherlands, Denmark and Sweden. It is an inherently visual subject and the book illustrates developments with numerous photographs of contemporary ship models, paintings and plans, as well as the author's own interpretive illustrations of details. As the first major work on the topic for nearly a century, it will be of obvious appeal to ship modellers and historians, but with comparative examples drawn from architecture and sculpture, it also makes a broader contribution to the history of the applied arts.

• Hardcover: 320 pages
  • Publisher: Seaforth Publishing; First Edition edition (15 Aug. 2013)
  • ISBN-10: 1848321767
  • ISBN-13: 978-1848321762
  • Product Dimensions: 22.2 x 2.5 x 28.6 cm

Edited 23.April 2018: The Book Review / Look Inside was done. You can find it here:
https://www.shipsofscale.com/sosfor...p-decoration-1630-1780-by-andrew-peters.1923/

Last edited:
Yes indeed. It is realy worth the money. I can recommend the book, if you are interested in this period and in this special decorations of the ships from this time. Also more in detail explained are the East Indian.

A new book arrived and I want to ask you, if there is interest for a Book Review / Look Inside?
So please answer or give your opinion with a post or Like this post.......

Wooden Warship Construction: A History in Ship Models
by Brian Lavery

IMG_20901.jpg IMG_20911.jpg

Synopsis:

The National Maritime Museum in Greenwich houses the largest collection of scale ship models in the world, many of which are official, contemporary artifacts made by the craftsmen of the Royal Navy or by the shipbuilders themselves. They range from the mid-seventeenth-century to the present day and represent a three-dimensional archive of unique importance and authority. Treated as historical evidence, these models offer more detail than even the most detailed plans, and demonstrate exactly what the ships looked like in a way that the finest marine painter could not.
This book takes a selection of the best models from the beginning of the eighteenth century to the end of wooden shipbuilding to describe and demonstrate the development of warship construction in all its complexity. For this purpose, it reproduces a large number of photos, all in full color, and includes many close-up and detail views. These are captioned in depth, but many are also annotated to focus attention on interesting or unusual features. Although pictorial in emphasis, the book weaves the illustrations into an authoritative text, producing an unusual and attractive form of technical history.

• Hardcover: 128 pages
  • Publisher: Naval Institute Press; annotated edition edition (April 15, 2017)
  • ISBN-10: 1473894808
  • ISBN-13: 978-1473894808
  • Product Dimensions: 7.2 x 0.6 x 9.9 inches
  • Shipping Weight: 1.9 pounds

A new book arrived and I want to ask you, if there is interest for a Book Review / Look Inside?
So please answer or give your opinion with a post or Like this post.......

The Ship of the Line: A History in Ship Models
by Brian Lavery

597339.jpg 597340.jpg
  • Hardcover: 128 pages
  • Publisher: Seaforth Publishing (24 April 2017)
  • ISBN-10: 1473894808
  • ISBN-13: 978-1473894808
  • Product Dimensions: 18.3 x 1.5 x 25.1 cm
Synopsis:

The National Maritime Museum in Greenwich houses the largest collection of scale ship models in the world, many of which are official, contemporary artefacts made by the craftsmen of the navy or the shipbuilders themselves, and ranging from the mid seventeenth century to the present day. As such they represent a three-dimensional archive of unique importance and authority. Treated as historical evidence, they offer more detail than even the best plans, and demonstrate exactly what the ships looked like in a way that even the finest marine painter could not achieve.
The Ship of the Line is the second of a new series that takes selections of the best models to tell the story of specific ship types - in this case, the evolution of the ship of the line, the capital ship of its day, and the epitome of British seapower during its heyday from 1650-1850. This period too coincided with the golden age of ship modelling. Each volume depicts a wide range of models, all shown in full colour, including many close-up and detail views. These are captioned in depth, but many are also annotated to focus attention on interesting or unusual features, and the book weaves the pictures into an authoritative text, producing a unique form of technical history. The series is of particular interest to ship modellers, but all those with an enthusiasm for the ship design and development in the sailing era will attracted to the in-depth analysis of these beautifully presented books.

Back