Karl Heinz Marquardt - his web-page "The life work of Karl Heinz Marquardt" with all articles he wrote

Uwek

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

Karl Heinz Marquardt
His name is well known, especially if you ever built a model of the Old Ironside USS Constitution, the Captain´s Cook Endeavour or the HMS Beagle,
it is the best to have a copy of his well known books of the "Anatomy of Ships" series.
Or also his book Eighteenth Century Rigs and Rigging ..... very well known and often in the hands of modelers.

Since some years he has his own web-page
The life work of Karl Heinz Marquardt
(click to open the page)

The start-page of his web-page:

Karl Heinz Marquardt, probably the second-half 20th century’s most significant German marine artist, model maker and author of many books as well as of shorter articles, cherished for a long time the thought of opening his work to a wider readership. In a time when the printed word is increasingly declining; when publishing houses are less disposed of providing books to the public that are not to be seen as ‘entertaining bestsellers’, but handbooks of a more specialized nature, appealing to the not too large group of people interested in historic ships, plays the Internet more and more an important role in filling this gap. Therefore it became a logical step for Karl to get accustomed to work in this medium and open up his work.

It is my pleasure to submit to this desire; in creating this website I would like to show my gratitude to Karl Heinz Marquardt’s life-work. This website shall also stimulate one’s own thoughts in regard to history of shipbuilding. Quite a few new observations were introduced during the last few decades to this important branch of human history and Karl Heinz Marquardt with his extensive work deserves our thanks for being in the forefront of it.

On the page you can find complete prints of a huge number of english and german articles for reading, but also a virtual walk through "his museum"

If you want to read more about Marquardt take a look here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Heinz_Marquardt

On his above mentioned web site he published a huge number of articles he wrote, so please check this out.....I made a listing of the available information
Please be aware, that Downloads and copies of these pages are only permitted for private, non-commercial use.

english language articles:
Do we really know the ENDEAVOUR?
The origin of Schooners
Schooner for Port Jackson – again.
H.M. Bark ENDEAVOUR, what do we really know about the Ship?
H.M.S. BEAGLE revisited
ZACHARY AND ELIZABETH 1745 – 1759 - A First Rate of the Imperial Russian Navy
The Schooner Enterprise 1830 - 1847
H.M. Brig SUPPLY
BAGHLA, a vanishing Type of Arab Trader
H.M. Armed Schooner BERBICE 1789
The Fore and Aft Rigged Warship
Rigs and Rigging
Is it WAPEN VON HAMBURG III, 1722 - 1737?
The Royals, a Historical Review

german language articles:
- Wapen von Hamburg III - Ja oder Nein?
- Wapen von Hamburg III - Ja oder Nein? Fortsetzung
- Preußen - Vollendung und Niedergang der Segelschiffahrt
- Tanksegler Andromeda
- Der Supertanker und sein Modell T/T Esso Berlin
- Wapen von Hamburg III - Das Modell und seine Identität
- 7 * 10 Jahre
- Niederländische Bombardierfregatte um 1751
- Auswandererschiff Bark „Theone“ 1863/1864
- Katten oder Katt-Schiffe - Randbemerkungen der Schiffahrtsgeschichte
- Der Endeavour Nachbau - Die Geschichte einer Idee und die Eindrücke eines „unvoreingenommenen“ Besuchers
- ZACHARIAS UND ELISABETH 1747 – 1758 - Das russische Linienschiff im Schloß Eutin
- Etwas über die Entwicklung des Stampfstocks
- Das erste Jahrhundert der Schonerentwicklung und deren Auswirkung auf den Schiffbau des Ostseeraumes
- Die Blinde, aber nicht das Segel!
- Das Oberbram- oder Royalsegel, ein historischer Rückblick
- Die Takelung einer Bermuda-Schlup um 1750, eine Hypothese
- Butlufs, wann und wo sie gebraucht wurden
- Breitfock und deren Takelung
- Projekt: H.M.S. BEAGLE, ein Modell für das Deutsche Schiffahrtsmuseum in Bremerhaven
- H.M.S. CHALLENGER 1872 -1876, ein Forschungsschiff machte Geschichte
- WAPEN VON HAMBURG III ?
- Die DUYFKEN Replik, ein paar zusätzliche Worte zu diesem Thema
- Schoner ENTERPRIZE 1830 – 1847, Nachbau eines historischen Fahrzeuges auf dem fünften Kontinent
- Seiner Majestät bewaffneter Schoner BERBICE von 1789 / 96
- U.S. Packetschiff DRAPER 1830, ein Amerikaner in Bremerhaven
- Mehr über die DRAPER
- Von Koggen & Dschunken, Kähnen & Schoonern, ein Kaleidoskop von Schiffsmodellen
- Restaurieren – eine Sache für sich
- ROYAL TRANSPORT oder TRANSPORT ROYAL? Gedanken über den ersten Schoner und sein Modell
- Eine Schiffbaugeschichte aus dem Baukasten
- „Sky scraper“, doppelte „Dolphin striker“ und andere Sonderheiten
- Rostocher Barkschiff, eine kurze Ergänzung maritimer Fachbegriffe
- Zaharias & Elisabeth oder Peter I & II?
- Ein Sampan des oberen Min-Kiang
- V.O.C. Jacht Duyfken, eine echte Replik?
- Schiffes des Orients, ein Kaleidoskop von Schiffsmodellen
- “Old Ironsides” Die vielen Gesichter der USS Constitution
- Der Sprietmast und wann wurde er eingeführt
- Von der Länge, Breite und Tiefe !

Great stuff, Uwe, thanks!
Marquardt's name is also involved in the bitter dispute with Nick Burningham (the English marine architect) regarding the Duyfken replica. For one, I stand on Burningham's side on this. As far as I know the dispute is open still today and the two represent quite different ideas about Duyfken's structure.
Janos

Yes, I know that Marquardt´s opnion written in his article in the Logbuch was not the niciest one......In my opinion nothing is only black or white.......but this discussion was already 18 years ago.
By himself Marquardt is every time saying, that all his research works, related articles or books and plans have to be seen based on the knowledge of the time of publications. Some things are in the meantime better known, some subjects better or more in detail clarified. Take a look at these discussions about the Santa Maria, f.e. it is known now, that Mondfeld drawings are definitely incorrect, but at this time it was the best information available.....

BTW: here is the link to the Duyfken replica web-page
http://www.duyfken.com/original-duyfken

For the paper card modelers.......or the kids......there you can find a paper model of the Duyfken for download

Mr Marquardt lives in my home city of Melbourne but I have been told by a mutual ship modelling friend that he is in poor health these days.

Mr Marquardt lives in my home city of Melbourne but I have been told by a mutual ship modelling friend that he is in poor health these days.
I have also this information....in (I think) June he will celebrate his 90.th birthday.....

Hello everybody,
I built the homepage at that time. Karl Heinz Marquardt wanted to make his articles available to anyone interested in them.

Incidentally, Karl's birthday is on the 9th of November and will be 91 years old this year. His health is not the best, but Karl fights.

Regards Kay

Hello everybody,
I built the homepage at that time. Karl Heinz Marquardt wanted to make his articles available to anyone interested in them.

Incidentally, Karl's birthday is on the 9th of November and will be 91 years old this year. His health is not the best, but Karl fights.

Regards Kay
So I was wrong with his birthday - send him from all of us all the best wishes
- there are a lot of modelers all around the world who owe him so much ......
and also many thanks for your work with organizing Karl´s web-page with all these available data and information.
In addition I cross all fingers with the preparation of the book and the preparations of the drawings (I know, that you received recently a lot of original drawings from him - good luck with this project.
Send him our Regards

Hello,
I was informed today by the family of Karl Heinz Marquardt that he died yesterday. This message fills me with deep sadness. We're losing a great naval historian, artist and a wonderful human. The family asked me to continue working on and publishing a collection of 22 plans he had made on his last book. I'll do that, I owe him.

In deep sadness

https://www.facebook.com/The-Millenium-of-Sailing-Ship-by-Karl-Heinz-Marquardt-309414339645071/?

Hallo Kay,
Many thanks for the information as I know, that you were over a long time in close contact with him.
So sad news - Please send my condolences to the family.
I am sure, that he wanted, that you finalize the work with his plans and drawings
Sad news

Hello,
I was informed today by the family of Karl Heinz Marquardt that he died yesterday. This message fills me with deep sadness. We're losing a great naval historian, artist and a wonderful human. The family asked me to continue working on and publishing a collection of 22 plans he had made on his last book. I'll do that, I owe him.

In deep sadness

https://www.facebook.com/The-Millenium-of-Sailing-Ship-by-Karl-Heinz-Marquardt-309414339645071/?
Hello Kay ,send my condolences also please to his family!!

Back