Keeping dust out of your model

Hi all

This post can sound funny, but i have always been dealing with this issue and would like to know what others do.

We can't always have our model within a case. On those cases, I have tried to clean the dust with a soft brush or blowing it with aire. But hasn't been always very effective.

Beside those 2 methods (soft brush/air) have you tried something different ?

If you blow air to the model what do you use ?

If you brush your model, what brush are you using ?

Thanks and have a great day and stay safe !!
Daniel

All my model (for the last 20y) are now in display case what ever it is a ship, a plane, a tank, or a figurine. I was in the obligation to throw away almost 40y of modelling work (+-200 kit of plane, military vehicle and other) because of model ruin by dust, children 10 fingers eyes or animal (my cat jump at a fly once on a shelve where some model where place). It is easier for my moral to replace a case ruin then replace a model where I have spend lots of time and love to build.

My 5cent

A couple of my thoughts on this topic.

- Even in a case, unless it is hermetically sealed, a model will still collect dust.
- Use a soft camel hair style brush to remove dust very carefully. They will even work on rigging.
- Use a pressurized can of air like used to clean computer equipment - but be very, very careful with how much you squeeze the trigger.
- Use an airbrush, without paint, to blow off the model. This way you can regulate the pressure down to a very finite amount.
- Never use a vaccuum or you might lose parts (been there done that).
- Use one of those squeeze ball things with a camel hair brush like used to clean camera equipment
- Try a "tack cloth" on flat surfaces to gently pick up dust particles
- Avoid the traditional method of using beeswax on rigging lines as this only attracts more dust in the long run
- Never store models close to the ground. The closer to the ground, the more dust that will be collected, even in a box.

It is indeed possible to clean models. Museum curators do it all the time. It just takes care and patience.

Sail on.

Great answers and a lot of info and good tips.

Thank you guys !!!!!!!!

Daniel
Ps: I love the cat comment. Makes me laugh remembering one day when my mini Schnauzer was 1 year old. I was using the computer on my lap seating at the coach. When sudenly this guy came running and jumped exactly to land over the computer. Fortunatly I was able to catch him in the air just a few centimeters before a disaster. We always Remeber that moment with my wife. She was beside me watching TV. The eyes of the puppy soo happy for what he has accomplished and myself also happy for been able to save the laptop. :)

A word of caution about the spray cans of air for dusting. If the can is tilted too much (ie. upside down), the spray turns liquid and can be at temperatures about -50 degrees F. This can be very hazardous to the flesh and terribly uncomfortable.

THANK YOU !!!

TeXt from the above site

Invertible – Because of how the valving of aerosol dusters are designed, they generally can only be sprayed right-side-up or, at most, a 45º angle. Under high pressure, the propellant is mostly liquid, with the empty part of the call filled with vapor. When you spray an aerosol duster, the vapors of the propellant are expelled. As you rotate the can, the liquid starts to spray out and at a very low temperature (as low as -60ºF / -51.5ºC). Techspray® offers Vortex 360, which is specifically designed to spray only gas as you rotate the can. As a side note, this also explains why it is a bad idea to shake up a can of duster before use, as is the habit of using spray paint. If you shake duster, the liquid propellant will more likely sputter out as you start spraying

Back