King of Mississippi

Good afternoon, everyone.
I am building the Occre Albatross. I have gotten to the point to where I start rigging. It became apparent really quick I must stop until I get a cataract removed from my good eye. I have had a lazy eye since birth, so no way am I capable to rig this ship until after the surgery. My first Drs. appointment is June 1st
I decided to do the AR kit King of Mississippi. I will be doing a log on this steamboat It ought to keep me busy until I am able to finish the Albatross.
I am planning on painting this boat white with walnut trimming. After deciding to do this I really got to wondering how in the heck do I keep this clean from handling the assembly? The only thing I can think of is to use gloves and spray a clear mat finish, but that won't help much I would assume.
It's supposed to be delivered Saturday so my first blog will be Sunday or Monday.
TIA

Good afternoon, everyone.
I am building the Occre Albatross. I have gotten to the point to where I start rigging. It became apparent really quick I must stop until I get a cataract removed from my good eye. I have had a lazy eye since birth, so no way am I capable to rig this ship until after the surgery. My first Drs. appointment is June 1st
I decided to do the AR kit King of Mississippi. I will be doing a log on this steamboat It ought to keep me busy until I am able to finish the Albatross.
I am planning on painting this boat white with walnut trimming. After deciding to do this I really got to wondering how in the heck do I keep this clean from handling the assembly? The only thing I can think of is to use gloves and spray a clear mat finish, but that won't help much I would assume.
It's supposed to be delivered Saturday so my first blog will be Sunday or Monday.
TIA
Hi Steven.
I hope the surgery will help you.
Always nice to see the build of a new Paddle Steamer. Looking forward to see your posts.
Regards, Peter

Hello Steven,. Good luck with your surgery. Can't was to see the paddle wheel build. I'm not sure if you are aware but there is a new practicum on this kit done by Lauckstreet shipyard. Just thought I would let you know. Be safe.

One thing I do is coat parts with matte polyurethane as I progress with a build. In your case, apply a coat of the matte poly to the white parts as they are constructed…

Well Folks I just found out using an iPad with a Microsoft computer don't work. I can't seem to be able to upload the pictures of me starting the KIng of the Mississippi build so I guess I start with planking the first deck. I didn't do the hull in pretty sapelli because a riverboat usually operates in very nasty waters, so I did a nasty job of staining the hull with dark walnut. I think it looks pretty cool. I will send some more pictures in the next day or two.
I did have a picture of the albatross after I snapped a mast. I'll deal with that after my cataract issue is solved.
Folks this is my first log so, please bear with me.

DSC_0006.JPG

DSC_0003.JPG

As promised a few new pictures
This Kit is funny, its laser cut beautifully. Everything is square and it cuts out very nicely.
But the doors don't fit as they should, I have worked on 6 now and none of them fit correctly as the doors are too wide after installing the opening of the door with trim pieces they say to use.
Guess it goes with the kit, but there is about a gazillion more to do.
any way here are a couple more pictures of my build.
I have yet to sand the bottom of the cabins until they are all done for that deck. And here is the finished hull. minus rudders
All and all I am having a good time doing this boat.
Thanks for looking

DSC_0011.JPG

DSC_0010.JPG

DSC_0008.JPG

DSC_0007.JPG

Finally finished the first deck. It went pretty smoothly but the spiral staircase was heck to build because the metal grating on the side kept collapsing on me. I finally got it done well enough to stop messing with it because I was too afraid, I would break the metal and that would be A bummer. Another problem I had (my fault} was I glued the housing for the paddlewheel assembly to the deck. Hopefully I can remove it, I am just glad that I used wood glue and not super glue.DSC_0016c.jpgDSC_0019cc.jpgDSC_0020c.jpgDSC_0021c.jpg

Back