Kit Recommendations Wanted

Hello. I am retired and have recently started building ship models. I have completed the Model Shipways beginner models, but was very disappointed with the instructions. Since these kits are marketed for beginners, I really expected a lot more detail. They were mostly written instructions, often ambiguous, with photographs. I had to guess at quite a few things From this forum, it seems poor instructions are a common complaint.

So which kit makers have the best instructions? I am looking for something in the advanced beginner to intermediate range. Not looking to build museum quality, just something nice to put in display in my home.

Thanks to you all.
Hallo @WmJW
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Hello. I am retired and have recently started building ship models. I have completed the Model Shipways beginner models, but was very disappointed with the instructions. Since these kits are marketed for beginners, I really expected a lot more detail. They were mostly written instructions, often ambiguous, with photographs. I had to guess at quite a few things From this forum, it seems poor instructions are a common complaint.

So which kit makers have the best instructions? I am looking for something in the advanced beginner to intermediate range. Not looking to build museum quality, just something nice to put in display in my home.

Thanks to you all.

I first find a ship I want to build. Then I do a You Tube search for video on building that ship if available.This suppliments the instructions.

Thanks to you all.
Like you I started building modle ships shortly after I retired, simply becasue having developed heart problenms a week into tretirement I could no longer build my model trains and needed a modeling hobby that was light in weight, hence model ships.
I bagan with a Jotika-Caldercraft kit or HMBark Endeavour, quite an involved model but with clear drawing of where everthing gos and instructions that clearly reference all parts and materials and the order of assembly. The parts precut form sheet materials were excellent and the fitting together was straightforward and very precise. Building the hull and detsiling it was straight forwrd and the most complex part was the rigging, byt even her it is broken down into stages and each stage has a clear drawing that identifies each part and thread to be used, and the method of securing or tying eavery thread.
I have now commenced on the same maker's Mary Rose which is just as well made and clear on instructions.
So I would recommend Jotika-Caldercraft and then have some simpler but accurate models in the Nelson's Navy series if you wish to start on a smaller model that would be quicker to build. Then go for the larger and more elaborate kits as you develop your skills and knowledge.
I have gained sufficient knowledge of building and by acquisition of excellent books on historial ships ot be drawing out a 60 gun ship f the line to build form scratch. So I reccomend start small form a good kit, learn and develop your shills and you have hobby for life that could take you to pastures new.
Good Luck and welcome to a great hobby.

I feel you pain mate! Between the "assumed" knowledge of the poor instructions and different poorly translated languages, it can be a challenge. Perhaps sticking with models that have documented historical plans and a ton of online research will help at first. It sure did with the USS Constitution for me. It does get easier once ypu figgure out there are commonalities in naval designs as form follows function. And this site has lotsa folks willing to help.

Good Luck!

Hi WM, I understand your frustration with poor or insufficient information from the plans. What I might suggest is what I did and purchase a Practium from Bob Hunt at Lauck Street Shipyard as they take you step by step through the building process. I am using one of them for the Bounty I am building now an it is a big help. It is also a Caldercraft kit so I can attest to the quality of their kits As you progress thru the hobby you will purchase other specialty books and build a library of reference materials that will fill in a lot of the information you are now seeking..

For reasons of my liking for English history I choase as my first ship model the kit of HM Bark Endeavour by Jotica/Caldercraft, a UK made kit.
I was not a ship modeller nor di I know much about sailing ship terminology before I began. Firstly the Caldercraft drawings are excellent, and the instruction booklet illustrates and lists all of the parts, so that you know what you have. Then they take you through the order of assembly in the same order as the drawings are numbered. As a model engineer, you can see what I usually make in my picture, I found the kit drawings to be self explanatory and logical.
The only other aids I had were a good and comprhensive set of tools as listed in the Instructions, and an additional book that I purchased was on the subject of Warship Rigging which proved helpful in understanding the functio nof each rope, but not essential to completing the model as the drawings really did suffice.
Thus in my judgement a Caldercraft Kit would be a good start and their kits run form a small two masted vessel to larger and more complex models with three or even four masts. I would recommend begining with a simpler and smaller model, since it will be completed quickly and raise your enthusiasm. Starting with a larger vessel is fine but keeping the constuction going, especially the masts, yards and rigging is a lengthy process and one's enthusiasm could droop a little with a large vessel. Good luck in you choice and use the help of members on this forum if you need, just ask.
You are joining a lovely hobby, particularly suited to the long winter evenings. Best wishes Derek Payne.
Hallo @Derek Payne
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back