Kit Review: Four-oared Yawl-Scale 1:72 Master Korabel

Jimsky

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

"The yawl boat - a small four-oared boat carried over the main hatch -was missing, suggesting that at least some of the missing people could have left the Mary Celeste in it"

Russian  Tsar and his familyin Yal-4.jpg
Russian Tsar and his family retreat in a "Yal-4" (4 oars)

Yal (from Dutch: jol to Russian: ял) – Russian and Soviet Naval transom stern lightweight rowing-boat with one removable mast and set with the sail. A small yal is sometimes called a yalik, the diminutive form of yal. Yals were used as life-boats, mooring boats, boat for kedge operations, supply boats, boat for works alongside the ship (painting, e.t.c.), boat for communication with the shore and for personnel transportation, small fishing boats since the 19th century. Yals are popular for sport and tourism purposes also.

This is rather mini-kit, however with the quality of timber and detailed assembly instruction makes it a pleasure to build. As many Russian manufacture kits, it comes with Ste-by-Step colored photo instruction and an English text explanation accompanying it. The kit doesn't provide recommendations as to who this kit is suitable for, but from my own experience, I would not recommend for the beginner, mainly due to small size.

The Kit: ART. MK0103
Make: Master Korabel (Milaniya, Russia)
Scale 1:72
Model size: 68mm length, 25mm wide, 12mm height

IMG_0932.JPEG

IMG_0927.JPEG

Unboxing

Simple plastic box 180x120x19mm

IMG_0906.JPEG

3 timber frets and brass wire pieces wrapped with plastic, and hold by folded manual and specification.

IMG_0907.JPEG

IMG_0908.JPEG

This is all parts 'a-la-carte' provided with this kit: 2 frets with laser cat Pearwood and 1 plywood containing bulkheads (formers) as well as building the jig.

IMG_0909.JPEG

Close view of each.

IMG_0910.JPEG
IMG_0911.JPEG

IMG_0913.JPEG

IMG_0914.JPEG

IMG_0915.JPEG

The instruction and Text"

IMG_0917.JPEG

IMG_0918.JPEG

IMG_0919.JPEG

IMG_0920.JPEG

IMG_0922.JPEG

Conclusion: Personally, I have enjoyed assembling this mini-kit, as it spotted very nice details. Hence I really pleased with the end results. The instruction is very intuitive and the Pearwood timber is high grade. Anyone who builds in the 1:72 scale can add it as a ship's boat. It made a really nice model of itself. The only drawback - it is really small. I made photos with a pencil so you can compare the size. But...who said it will be easy? I did not! ;)

amazing amount of detail for a wee boat. I see there's a 95mm one by the same company - better for my failing eyesight. I'm tempted

Back