Kit Review: "H.M. Armed Cutter Alert 1777 (Second Edition) - Plank On Bulkhead", Scale 1:64 - Vanguard Models

Jimsky

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

The model kit of the Alert is depicted after her refit with twelve six-pounder guns and a full complement of twelve half-pounder swivel guns, giving an ordnance total of twenty-four guns. We have many pages about the history of Alert here at SOS, I will rather concentrate on the kits itself.

Scale: 1:64
Length overall - 637mm/25.078"
Width overall - 256mm/10.078"
Height overall - 517mm/20.354

There are two versions of the kit to choose from - Standard and Premium. The version differences are:
Standard * Basswood laser-cut wood parts (including sub desk),
* Cast metal cannons

Premium (Limited to 10 kits on initial release)
* Pearwood laser cut wood parts
* Sub desk laser cut using 0.8.mm plywood
* All 24 cannons (12 x 6-pounder and 12 x half-pounder swivel) cast resin in black

The Model.
Once the model has been built, it should look like the model shown in the below photos (courtesy of Vanguard Models, Chris Watton)

Alert-fully-complete-1zz-1024x836.jpg

AlertC.jpg

Alertd.jpg

Alertf.jpg

I have purchased a premium version of the kit, so the review will be based on this kit.

Last edited:
The Kit
The kit was delivered really fast (less than a week, from England to the US). Kit designed as a double plank on bulkheads, all parts are high-grade quality including cast resin cannons and 3 sheets of photo-etched parts in different thicknesses. The Kit parts inside a reasonably large box, well packed with bubble-wraps and all parts where sealed in plastic bags. Once the box opened, you will see a spiral-bound A3-size instruction manual.

IMG_1062.JPEG

IMG_1064.JPEG

600_0188.jpg

600_0189.jpg

All packed well in a bubble-wrap

600_0190.jpg

The base kit contents

600_0192.jpg

600_0193.jpg

Content of the kit\Timber and Timber strips

A few words about the timber\timber strips. The kit of Alert contains boxwood for the deck planking and pearwood for the final hull planking. All timber strips sealed in thick plastic sleeves to avoid incoming moisture. They are properly labeled and matched with the inventory sheet. The timber strips are nicely cut from the same billet and match the color.

Limewood strips for first planking

IMG_1083.JPEG

IMG_1084.JPEG

Boxwood for deck planking

IMG_1085.JPEG
IMG_1088.JPEG

Pearwood for final hull planking

IMG_1103.JPEG

IMG_1104.JPEG

to be continued...

The Fittings

A really tidy way to store all the fitting in one place, this kit presents the spick and span 'Fitting pack' box. Keeping all 'under the hood' make it easy to find, and reference the number from the inventory

600_0207.jpg

Opening the box reveals a number of labeled plastic bags with various fittings. Let's take a look at each of them. Please note a cast resin (grey color) large winch. In my opinion, it looks great just needs a little cleanup. The anchors are white metal. The photo speaks itself!

600_0228.jpg

IMG_1074.JPEG

IMG_1075.JPEG

A special wording about the cast resin cannons. They are already black in color and doesn't require paint (IMHO). Very hight cast with small details such royal emblem. Cannonballs a bit oversized (If you will try to insert) :)

600_0229.jpg

details and close up

IMG_1076.JPEG

IMG_1077.JPEG

Half-pounder swivel guns. They come with the PE fret (handles)

IMG_1079.JPEG

to be continue...

Attachments

• IMG_1078.JPEG
    IMG_1078.JPEG
    215.6 KB · Views: 2
Blocks, deadeyes

The next packets will contain deadeyes and blocks. They are single and double blocks of different sizes on average quality. IMHO, I wish the 'premium kit' contains premium blocks made from pear or boxwood. Master Korabel makes very nice blocks, and it would be a nice fit for such a kit.

600_0230.jpg

Deadeyes, however, really good quality and doesn't require sanding (ready to use). Look at the drill holes-they are even on all pieces.

IMG_1081.JPEG

The last packets contain parrel beads and also the mainstay ‘mouse’.

600_0231.jpg

We will discuss the Photo-Etched parts next...

Photo-Etched parts

The kit contained three frets in 0.2mm, 0.4mm and 0,6mm made from brass. All the parts will intricate many of the components including the stern decoration, eyebolt rings, gudgeon\pintle for the rudder and many others to compete for metalwork. One of the frets included mast hops and deadeye's strops (nicely made)! It does have a nameplate so you can use it on the stand.

IMG_1093.JPEG

IMG_1094.JPEG

IMG_1095.JPEG

IMG_1091.JPEG

IMG_1096.JPEG

IMG_1097.JPEG

IMG_1098.JPEG

rigging is next...

The Rigging

All riggings come in a zip-lock bag. There where 6 flat spools of various rigging thread in black and natural colors. In a separate packet, you will find a cable work thread, looks like the anchor cable - extremely realistic. All spools are labeled for future use and identification.

600_0227.jpg

IMG_1069.JPEG

IMG_1071.JPEG

IMG_1073.JPEG

The next we will discuss timber wood

Structural sheet and other wood timber use in the kit

All sheet material is laser-cut and comes in a single thick clear plastic sleeve. The structural parts come in 3mm and 2mm MDF board. They contained: Falsekeel, bulkheads, bulkheads securing parts, inner\outer bow parts. I know, that some of us prefer to have plywood instead of MDF. Personally, I don't mind MDF as it always comes warp-free, and in this kit, both boards is no exception!

3.0mm MDF
600_0210.jpg

600_0213.jpg

2.0mm MDF
600_0216.jpg

For the false deck and poop, the kit introduced 0.8mm ply (warp-free)

600_0217.jpg

a close look at the false deck

600_0218.jpg

The rest of the parts are laser-cut from actual pearwood timber. Those are a combination of different thicknesses 3.0mm, 1.5mm, and 1.0mm boards. These are contained parts for everything else (timber-related). From hatch coamings, transom\cap rails, stem\sternpost to gun carriages and carriages parts. One part is, however, puzzled me quite a bit. The gun carriages axle part is square??!!! You would think you should round them...think twice, the weels hole is also square. Not sure why...

1.5mm board: hatch coamings, gun carriages
600_0224.jpg

large.jpg

Keel, stem, and sternpost, Windlass and rudder parts (3.0mm)
600_0222.jpg

cap and transom rails 1.0mm
600_0225.jpg

600_0226.jpg

One word of caution: All the MDF and wood timber parts are not numbered. I strongly suggest labeling the parts according to the master sheet (before removing parts from boards)

The next, we will discuss the manual

Instruction manual (spiral-bound book)

Before we move to the manual, it worth to mention another few parts: A sail clothes and something rather unusual for wooden kits - a clear acrylic display base. Should you decide to rig Alert with the sails, there a plenty of material provided, and the instruction manual contains templates in scale 1:64 (just transfer sail template into the cloth!

600_0232.jpg

Clear plastic base, assembled really easy but require a special glue. CA will work but may clog the surface

600_0206.jpg

clearBase.jpg

The kit doesn't provide plans (the way you can build it from scratch), however, the rather large (A3 size) manual will definitely complement and help build the model the right way! The manual printed in full color on glossy, thick paper (56 pages total). As I mentioned before - spiral bound. A step-by-step guide, real intuitive, containing photos along with text explanations.

The first few pages introduce with upper and side elevation drawings following by building tips and recommended tools and 2,5 pages of the inventory list.

IMG_1110.JPEG

Inventory pages

IMG_1111.JPEG

IMG_1112.JPEG

IMG_1113.JPEG

The next few pages show parts and their corresponding numbers. As mentioned before, and this is critical to transfer all the parts number into the actual timber boars before cutting the sheets.

IMG_1114.JPEG

IMG_1115.JPEG

IMG_1116.JPEG

The next pages will show construction stages in photographs and annotations to them. Those photographs very intuitive, clearly showing the given task at hand.

2.jpg.c2da71e735a75ab887a2ed25795c1ccb.jpg

13.jpg.16d62c49fa7064a155191c7c7994aa71.jpg

29.jpg.52381e69eac55d23a0b9c28be55568c3.jpg

Obviously, there are pages dedicated to Masting and Riggins. Those provided as drawings in scale 1:64 with accompanying dimensions and diameters. Also, very detailed rigging plans supplied showing seizing and ratlines clearly.

IMG_1125.JPEG

IMG_1126.JPEG

IMG_1127.JPEG

38.jpg.4905298ca708efcfa8358ef5fc946816.jpg

40.jpg.f95f9690fe4943fa545f837ccce1972d.jpg

Conclusion

This is a great kit supplied with high-end timber and fittings. The construction can captivate for many hours at the bench. A gorgeous model can, and most importantly, should be build without 'bashing' ...but in the end, it is your call.

I hope this is somewhat informative and will help to know the kit better. :)

Happy New Year everyone!!

Last edited:
Content of the kit\Timber and Timber strips

A few words about the timber\timber strips. The kit of Alert contains boxwood for the deck planking and pearwood for the final hull planking. All timber strips sealed in thick plastic sleeves to avoid incoming moisture. They are properly labeled and matched with the inventory sheet. The timber strips are nicely cut from the same billet and match the color.

Limewood strips for first planking

View attachment 125835

View attachment 125836

Boxwood for deck planking

View attachment 125837
View attachment 125838

Pearwood for final hull planking

View attachment 125839

View attachment 125843

to be continued...
Boy, quality of kits definitely improved over the years. Boxwood, pear - almost unheard of only a few years ago.

Boy, quality of kits definitely improved over the years. Boxwood, pear - almost unheard of only a few years ago.
yea...the timber in this kit - first class! Very unusual for the kits manufacturers. If I remember, only Master Korabel supply Perwood Timber in their kits.

Fantastic kit and review, for me the only setback is the scale.
I agree with you Zoly, I wish it could be the scale 1:48, but... in scale as this kit is the length overall - 637mm and height overall - 517mm. At scale 1:48, it will be huge and required more space for display (unless you build it as a gift, then who cares... :p )

I agree with you Zoly, I wish it could be the scale 1:48, but... in scale as this kit is the length overall - 637mm and height overall - 517mm. At scale 1:48, it will be huge and required more space for display (unless you build it as a gift, then who cares... :p )
The Trident Alert is 1:48 scale

Chris Watton’s kits are always first rate. I’m looking forward to the Trident version of Alert. I wonder if it will have photo etched versions of the painted decorations like this kit has.

Back