Uwek

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

HMS Terror

History

mentioned by Occre:

In 1845, under the command of Sir John A. Franklin, the ships Terror and Erebus set off on an expedition to navigate the famous Northwest Passage. They were the first ships to be fitted out with auxiliary steam engines and were also reinforced with iron plating, fore and aft, to increase their resistance to pack ice. They were stocked with sufficient supplies for 3 years at sea.
The last sighting of the two ships was off Greenland was as they entered Baffin Bay, gateway to the frozen Arctic labyrinth.

With the collaboration of an Inuit hunter from the Arctic hamlet of Gjoa Haven, on 26th September 2016 the wreck of H.M.S. Terror, 168 years after her disappearance, was finally discovered. The Terror was in excellent condition. Images have been obtained of her deck and interior, showing perfectly preserved objects and parts of the ship that remained intact.

The mystery of the Franklin’s tragic expedition continues to this day, although it is hoped that an archaeological study of the wreck will help shed some light on what happened.

** Model based on the plans of Matthew Betts.
Take a look at the very interesting page: http://buildingterror.blogspot.ca/

HMSTerrorThrownUpByIce.jpg

and on Wikipedia:
HMS Terror
was a specialized warship and a newly developed Vesuvius-class bomb vessel constructed for the Royal Navy in 1813. She participated in several battles of the War of 1812, including the Battle of Baltimore with the bombardment of Fort McHenry. She was converted into a polar exploration ship two decades later, and participated in George Back's Arctic expedition of 1836–1837, the Ross expedition of 1839 to 1843, and Sir John Franklin's ill-fated attempt to force the Northwest Passage in 1845, during which she was lost with all hands along with HMS Erebus.

On 12 September 2016, the Arctic Research Foundation announced that the wreck of Terror had been found in Nunavut's Terror Bay, off the southwest coast of King William Island. The wreck was discovered 92 km (57 mi) south of the location where the ship was reported abandoned, and some 50 km (31 mi) from the wreck of HMS Erebus, discovered in 2014.

Arctic Ghost Ship | HMS Terror and Erebus | Franklin Expedition (Nova Ghost Documentary)

The finished model from Occre:
terrorweb-002YS6JwFXjOistq.jpg

The Model KIT from Occre:

Specifications:
  • Length: 676mm.
  • Height: 504mm.
  • Width: 195mm.
  • Scale: 1:75
  • Occre Ref: 12004
very often the model scale is mentioned with 1:65, which is a wrong scale information.
The correct scale of this model is 1:75

The kit is available directly from Occre for a very reasonable price of 119,95 Euro

The same model "out of the box" without colors or other paintings
terrorweb-015.jpg

terrorweb-003.jpg terrorweb-013.jpg terrorweb-018.jpg
terrorweb-019.jpg terrorweb-011.jpg terrorweb-016.jpg

In order to get a overall impression, take also a look at the model shown in an Occre-video:

In the following posts we will show you the kit more in detail......

The box and general information about the content:

I received the models of the HMS Terror and also of the Whaling ship Essex directly from Occre, every single kit secured packed in an outer box for safe transport

IMG_4799.JPG

IMG_4800.JPG

Both boxes have a cutaway area to see the box / tray with the small fittings - nice idea to see the quality of these important parts
IMG_4801.JPG

So have a closer look to the HMS Terror
IMG_4804.JPG

The correct scale is in the meantime also mentioned on the side of the box
IMG_4805.JPG

IMG_4803.JPG

Unboxing:
IMG_4806.JPG

we can see on the right the fitting tray, on the top the bundles with the timber strips, on the left the rigging material, the sails, bulkheads and the manuals.
Everything well packed, separated and organized - With this organization inside the box, the possibility of transport damages is limited to a minimum - well done Occre!
IMG_4807.JPG

IMG_4808.JPG

the small fittings safely separated in a special box
IMG_4809.JPG

and here a complete overview of all construction parts (without manuals)
IMG_4902.JPG

and a similar photo from Occre
unnamed.jpg.630709b643a9f0c19031f015db5c0385.jpg

Kit Content - TIMBER - Strips for planking etc

IMG_4921.JPG

IMG_4925.JPG

The models hull has a double planking

For the first planking level the kit offers Ramin strips of 2mm * 5mm * 600mmIMG_4922.JPG

The second planking is Sapelli with dimension 0,6mm * 5mm * 600mm
IMG_4924.JPG

also the other timber strips and spar / dowels have very good quality and are straight
IMG_4923.JPG

The quality of the timber (all strips) is excellent with good, clean edges and no splintered wood, no wrong dimensions or defaults like knotholes etc.
Also the strips have overall the same color and have a good a relatively small grain - Very Good

Kit Content - TIMBER - Other wooden parts like Bulkheads etc.

The rest of the timber is packed and sealed separately in a plastic blister to avoid moisture
IMG_4926.JPG

all parts shown in an overview
IMG_4927.JPG

the bulkheads and some other parts - clean laser cut Plywood
IMG_4933.JPG

IMG_4931.JPG

No warp - good quality plywood is used by Occre
IMG_4928.JPG

The false keel and the false deck are also made out of plywood - the same high quality - already ready to use, so no removing from a sheet necessary
IMG_4932.JPG

IMG_4934.JPG

some other sheets - here plywood of a higher grade used for smaller components, such as the mast tops etc.
IMG_4935.JPG

IMG_4936.JPG

IMG_4938.JPG

a walnut-stained piece of plywood, that contains the parts for the keel and rudder
IMG_4937.JPG

final timber parts for the bulwarks, made from thinner plywood
IMG_4939.JPG

Overall good quality timber - Well done Occre

Kit Content - SAILS

the sails are also packed in a separate bag to avoid moisture and protect them from humidity
IMG_4940.JPG

The overview showing all of the ten sewn sails - already slightly "weathered"
IMG_4941.JPG

IMG_4942.JPG

IMG_4943.JPG

Kit Content - Brass photo etched

IMG_4945.JPG

Kit Content - Rigging cord

IMG_4946.JPG

IMG_4948.JPG

IMG_4950.JPG

IMG_4951.JPG

IMG_4952.JPG

The quality of the cord is good - and I guess it is enough material to rig the ship completely

Kit Content - Sheet plating for the bow

HMS Terror was plated at the bow with iron to protect the ships hull against pack ice. This kit provides zinc plates which can be formed around the bow to represent the large plate sheathing
IMG_4949.JPG

and additional there are some small bags with some brass nails (also good quality)
IMG_4973.JPG

Kit Content - Fittings etc.

The fittings are separately boxed - clever idea, so you can open and close when ever you need one of these fittings
IMG_4947.JPG

IMG_4953.JPG

IMG_4954.JPG

IMG_4955.JPG

IMG_4958.JPG

IMG_4969.JPG

The anchors
IMG_4959.JPG

IMG_4963.JPG

IMG_4960.JPG

IMG_4964.JPG

IMG_4961.JPG

IMG_4965.JPG

IMG_4956.JPG

IMG_4966.JPG

IMG_4957.JPG

IMG_4967.JPG

IMG_4962.JPG

IMG_4970.JPG

IMG_4971.JPG

IMG_4972.JPG

all over good quality fittings - for this price level of kit - very good Occre

Attachments

• IMG_4973.JPG
    IMG_4973.JPG
    179.8 KB · Views: 7
Kit Content - Manuals and Drawings

I will show the manuals given in the kit in Thumbnail size, for a better overview
Two sets of paper manuals are encluded in the kit, printed on DIN A3 paper.
The black and white sheets contain the vessel history, parts inventory, deck layout for parts placement, and some masts and yard drawings.

IMG_4903.JPG IMG_4904.JPG

IMG_4905.JPG IMG_4906.JPG
IMG_4907.JPG IMG_4908.JPG

The color package shows the construction of model as a photographic experience, with simple and clear annotation.
Some Illustrations for masting and rigging are also available, plus the parts overview that you will need for marking the various laser-cut parts
IMG_4909.JPG IMG_4910.JPG

IMG_4911.JPG IMG_4912.JPG

IMG_4913.JPG IMG_4914.JPG

IMG_4915.JPG IMG_4916.JPG

IMG_4917.JPG IMG_4918.JPG

IMG_4919.JPG IMG_4920.JPG

Important additional info: VIDEOS

Occre posted on their youtube channel a session of videos with the step-by-step building process of the model.
There are all together 111 videos, each 1 to 2 minutes long!
I guess that will be very helpful for beginners, but also interesting for everybody building this model.

etc....

Overall this kit represents a very good cost / performance ratio - good quality material, well presented and with a good parts fitting - Highly recommended
I hope to see soon a building log of this model here on SOS......

Great review Uwe.Going by your pictures,this kit offers exceptional value for money.

Kind Regards
Kit Content - Manuals and Drawings

I will show the manuals given in the kit in Thumbnail size, for a better overview
Two sets of paper manuals are encluded in the kit, printed on DIN A3 paper.
The black and white sheets contain the vessel history, parts inventory, deck layout for parts placement, and some masts and yard drawings.

View attachment 128400 View attachment 128401

View attachment 128402 View attachment 128403
View attachment 128404 View attachment 128405

The color package shows the construction of model as a photographic experience, with simple and clear annotation.
Some Illustrations for masting and rigging are also available, plus the parts overview that you will need for marking the various laser-cut parts
View attachment 128406 View attachment 128407

View attachment 128408 View attachment 128409

View attachment 128410 View attachment 128411

View attachment 128412 View attachment 128413

View attachment 128414 View attachment 128415

View attachment 128416 View attachment 128417

Important additional info: VIDEOS

Occre posted on their youtube channel a session of videos with the step-by-step building process of the model.
There are all together 111 videos, each 1 to 2 minutes long!
I guess that will be very helpful for beginners, but also interesting for everybody building this model.

etc....

Overall this kit represents a very good cost / performance ratio - good quality material, well presented and with a good parts fitting - Highly recommended
I hope to see soon a building log of this model here on SOS......

Nigel

Hi, An excellent review thanks for posting it. I have just finished a book by Michael Palin, Erebus, the story of a ship. A very good, interesting read. It brings to life the story of Erabus and her sister Terror on their four year Antarctic scientific expedition, an amazing story. It goes on to include the fateful NW. Passage expedition, a can’t put down book.

Ken

To funny I am waiting for this from Cornwall Model Boats and here you are reviewing it. Great review Uwe, I couldn't be happier now knowing what I will be receiving with the package. Great pictures with your review thank you! A lot of information now exists on this ship and the story behind it, but now that they have found it's resting place lots more will be coming light over the next few years. Occre were very smart when with the help of Matthew Betts they brought this out now. It should be a lot of fun for very little money. I also do hope that they go with a larger scale version some time in the future, as I think there would be a market for that as well.
I plan on renting the AMC series to watch while building it. Cheers ~

To funny I am waiting for this from Cornwall Model Boats and here you are reviewing it. Great review Uwe, I couldn't be happier now knowing what I will be receiving with the package. Great pictures with your review thank you! A lot of information now exists on this ship and the story behind it, but now that they have found it's resting place lots more will be coming light over the next few years. Occre were very smart when with the help of Matthew Betts they brought this out now. It should be a lot of fun for very little money. I also do hope that they go with a larger scale version some time in the future, as I think there would be a market for that as well.
I plan on renting the AMC series to watch while building it. Cheers ~
I am looking forward you to terrorize us ;)

Very nice kit. I imagine there will now be a lot of interest in this kit since the extraordinary well preserved wreck was discovered. There also maybe scope for a high end version to be developed highlighting the ships unique build and internal features in the future.

Last edited:
Back