Kitamae Brune Japanese model ship

Has any of our members ever built a Kitamae Brune from Zootoys.Shop?
I ask this because soon I will be receiving one of these very elegant models and I can't find a building log anywhere.
Anyway, I beleive this is will be my next build and of course will be logged.

Screen Shot 2022-01-01 at 5.46.56 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-01 at 5.47.09 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-01 at 5.47.19 PM.png

I built the version that shows interior details. It’s a great unique model. Instructions in Japanese, but many full color, step by step, illustrations in manual so you don’t need translation. Only thing that you need to watch out for are a few steps that have symbols that indicate “Do Not Glue”. I recommend it. I seem to recall that I found a build log, but I don’t recall what site is was on. It was a few years ago that I built it.28052FDE-AE16-4B19-BB1E-1E5C2E76E5FF.jpegB63B38E6-6D0D-4CE5-B307-8C651CCA4325.jpeg060E3A4E-AE78-4067-BBE7-47680543EE88.jpegB0CE4853-D09B-4C9B-850C-168769132AAF.jpegCF8DF09C-6E7D-4B58-B6C3-41C762AC9EE9.jpeg

Last edited:
WOW
Very impressive model and nicely built.
Now I have more I enthusiasm, thanks for the heads up about gluing.

Submarine blue:
Does the kit comes with the figures you have on yours, if not, where did you get them from?

Has any of our members ever built a Kitamae Brune from Zootoys.Shop?
I ask this because soon I will be receiving one of these very elegant models and I can't find a building log anywhere.
Anyway, I beleive this is will be my next build and of course will be logged.

View attachment 279842
View attachment 279843
View attachment 279844
Nice model that addtionaly shows many similarities in the sail and rigging to the brailed sales of Bronze Age Mediterranean, geographically far apart. What age does this ship hale from? Well done. Rich (PT-2)

The KITAMAE BUNE is a ship that has been active in the shipping of the Sea of Japan from the Edo period to the Meiji period, and the shipowner himself buys a product and is a ship that gains profits by buying and selling it.
Unlike the hull of HIGAKI KAISEN, which operated on the Pacific side, the appearance is characterized by a large amount of warping of the hull to cope with the rough sea of Japan.

Between the middle of the Edo period (around 1716 to 1804) and the Meiji 30s (around 1898 to 1908) 2. Connecting Osaka and Hokkaido along the Sea of Japan 3. Group of merchant ships sailing the Sea of Japan while buying and selling goods. Kitamae-bune is a collective term for merchant ships that were doing such movement. Points are "buying and selling" ...... It is not just a ship carrying cargoes. They had been sailing between Osaka and Hokkaido while buying anything at the ports that was considered “cheap”, and selling anything from the ship’s cargo that could be sold at a profit.

Between the middle of the Edo period (around 1716 to 1804) and the Meiji 30s (around 1898 to 1908) 2. Connecting Osaka and Hokkaido along the Sea of Japan 3. Group of merchant ships sailing the Sea of Japan while buying and selling goods. Kitamae-bune is a collective term for merchant ships that were doing such movement. Points are "buying and selling" ...... It is not just a ship carrying cargoes. They had been sailing between Osaka and Hokkaido while buying anything at the ports that was considered “cheap”, and selling anything from the ship’s cargo that could be sold at a profit.
The "buy low and sell high" has been the core of all trade commerce for eons. Still interesting to see so many similarities in the sail and rigging across that span time. Thanks for your history lesson in our launch of the new year. Rich

It will be a super interesting ship to build.
The Tracking of the model from Japan tells me that arrived today at a distribution center in NY.

A couple of fine looking muzzle loaders on the back wall. Flint or percussion? Fun to shoot!
Rich
Flintlocks. Haven’t shot them in years. No outdoor ranges nearby and you can’t shoot black powder in indoor ranges.

I believe so.
EBay has a kit under the same name but made from Imai.
Woody Joe has a few of the plastic and wood kits that Imai use to produce.
This is the EBay model but is super expensive.
1A9C8EB2-38DF-48C4-9108-54EF6295ECE8.jpeg

Has any body from the forum received a model from Japan and had to pay a sub charge for shipping?

Last edited:
It's rather interesting that the banner on the ship says "kitamae-bune" rather than the actual name of the boat itself (typically would end in "-maru" on merchant and fishing vessels). It would be like painting "104-gun First Rate Ship of the Line" on the transom of HMS Victory.

Back