Willem Barentsz by Kolderstok AD 1596

Jan, I nearly forgot the most important thing. When planking above the wales, you start the tapering from Bulkhead #3.
Oh wow, thank you for the heads up. I’ve marked up my copy of your build syllabus noting the change from the 4mm taper to 3mm and now the taper starting point. :D

Oh wow, thank you for the heads up. I’ve marked up my copy of your build syllabus noting the change from the 4mm taper to 3mm and now the taper starting point. :D
Pleasure my friend. Do not be shy to force the plank when it comes to the vertical curvature. The walnut when wet has quite a bit of flex in them - and pin/clamp securely.

Hi Jan. Nice to see your progress with the planking. Step by step, not in a hurry. And good to see you have a excellent back-up by Heinrich.
Regards, Peter
Hi Peter. Indeed it means a lot to me that Heinrich takes the time to share his methods, suggest alternatives and critique my humble efforts. I’m fascinated by what he has accomplished, researched and shared with me and the SOS community.

@Heinrich

I'm not following your example example but this is RE-DO #3 on the Wales section Starboard side. I noticed this morning that with Re-DO #2 the 4mm and 6mm planks were not pinned tight enough to butt up against BH's 3,4,5, and 6 while the glue set. SO....

345F3D60-9CFB-45BB-B21E-7128933ACFF1_1_201_a.jpeg

No "Pins" this time, just "Brute" force :oops::oops:

@dockattner, I'm going to have get larger bad word jar :D

I'm starting to think that these small ships you guys are building are harder than large ships - at least the hull planking.
I don't know if there is a difference between planking small or large ships. In my case I'm in the middle of the front side of the "BELL" curve. My lack of experience in prepping, fairing and ultimately laying planks makes for a BIG learning curve. I may lack experience :oops: but not enthusiasm. :D I'm sure there will be many more hurdles to overcome before I've completed this little jewel. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

@Heinrich

I'm not following your example example but this is RE-DO #3 on the Wales section Starboard side. I noticed this morning that with Re-DO #2 the 4mm and 6mm planks were not pinned tight enough to butt up against BH's 3,4,5, and 6 while the glue set. SO....

View attachment 319406

No "Pins" this time, just "Brute" force :oops::oops:

@dockattner, I'm going to have get larger bad word jar :D
No problem my friend. Brute force is sometimes the language the WB understands.

I'm starting to think that these small ships you guys are building are harder than large ships - at least the hull planking.
Hull planking, without a shadow of doubt much more difficult. My big Batavia was a breeze compared to this. The sway of the planks is compounded by the small size which makes it much more severe - especially when using the same thickness planks as on the big ships and considering that it is single-layer only.

Just a Dutch ship, planking isn't easy at al, because the stump bow
Stephan the bow to me is no problem at all - that is why you have the plank bender. The problem lies in the compound curve where it first goes downwards and then upwards again - that requires vertical bending and that ain't easy with these "stug" rigid planks.

Stephan the bow to me is no problem at all - that is why you have the plank bender. The problem lies in the compound curve where it first goes downwards and then upwards again - that requires vertical bending and that ain't easy with these "stug" rigid planks.
I realize now that I’ve been too “timid” in the clamping department. I’ve been more worried about breaking BH’s. Heinrich has it right, these planks need to bend in several directions, “up and down the length of the hull, curve at the bow and bend into the BH’s.” I admire his effort trying to do that with Oak.

I realize now that I’ve been too “timid” in the clamping department. I’ve been more worried about breaking BH’s. Heinrich has it right, these planks need to bend in several directions, “up and down the length of the hull, curve at the bow and bend into the BH’s.” I admire his effort trying to do that with Oak.

I bend and test fit all planks before I clamp in place. I soak my planks in warm water (between 140-160 degrees F.) form them in all directions required with my plank benders test fitting as I go. Only then I clamp them in place to dry. When they are dry I unclamp, apply glue then re-clamp until the glue dries. Mine is a slow process as I only do one plank on either side at a time.
Doing it this way puts no undue stress on bulkheads etc. ( But hey, I’m retired so all I have is time)
I recently purchase a bending iron used by Luthiers and it allows me to bend the planks in any direction relatively easy. I only wish I had this device sooner.

I soak my planks in warm water (between 140-160 degrees F.) form them in all directions required with my plank benders test fitting as I go. Only then I clamp them in place to dry.
I follow that process also. My mistake is not clamping along the entire plank with enough "force" to form the plank into shape. I've learned that lesson and also use Heinrich's method of applying a bit of H2O to the plank in the areas that are hard bends while trying to glue the plank. Each plank is an adventure in itself.

I follow that process also. My mistake is not clamping along the entire plank with enough "force" to form the plank into shape. I've learned that lesson and also use Heinrich's method of applying a bit of H2O to the plank in the areas that are hard bends while trying to glue the plank. Each plank is an adventure in itself.
Well said, Jan. Each plank IS indeed an adventure.

Nice Jan! :) Now for making those bulwarks, wales! Holding thumbs for you.

:cool::cool: PHEW: No pool float time today. HOT, 94F/35C and factoring in the humidity it's 105F/41C. I figure pool time would get me parboiled :rolleyes::rolleyes: so we have settled into the Pathfinder boatyard.

Todays progress is the placement and gluing of the the first three 1.5 X 6 mm planks above the Wales on the Port side.

68A1E38C-7EA6-473F-8210-FD68F891EDFC_1_201_a.jpeg

Slow progress but progress nevertheless.

Last edited:
Back