Willem Barentsz by Kolderstok AD 1596

@Kolderstok, What a great piece of information. Thank you. Too bad so much ship building history has been lost to the ages. I got curious about a sailing ships stability (Ballast, crew, rations, cargo, cannons, etc). There was a discussion here on the forum about ships requiring added ballast after a long spell at sea because the crew had consumed a lot of their rations (food, water, "rum"). So I got thinking about the weight, the placement and the number of cannons, where and how they would be placed.
Hello, regarding the various questions regarding gun caliber, gunboat positions and sizes and more, I reported the text message 533, maybe it doesn't interest you?

@Kolderstok, What a great piece of information. Thank you. Too bad so much ship building history has been lost to the ages. I got curious about a sailing ships stability (Ballast, crew, rations, cargo, cannons, etc). There was a discussion here on the forum about ships requiring added ballast after a long spell at sea because the crew had consumed a lot of their rations (food, water, "rum"). So I got thinking about the weight, the placement and the number of cannons, where and how they would be placed.
Good morning Jan and all contributors. Super interesting discussion for sure. I often wonder, looking at @Heinrich log and others, if the guys back then even agreed on the whys, hows, when etc. Physics had to prevail for sure however each shipwright often had their own interpretations- so it would appear. Cheers Grant

Hello, regarding the various questions regarding gun caliber, gunboat positions and sizes and more, I reported the text message 533, maybe it doesn't interest you?
@Frank48 ,Sorry if I did not respond to your post in a timely manner. Indeed I am very interested in any information pertaining to 17th Century ship building. I am having a busy time with Fall chores, closing our pool, washing and stowing away the outdoor furniture, mulching and prepping our flower gardens for winter, etc. So I’ve been perusing the forum at odd moments. To make a long story short, I did search the internet for “ Du Monceau, Original “ as per your post, I found a lot of history connected to the name , such as “Count Jean-Baptiste du Monceau de Bergendal, Marshal of Holland”, but no reference to any literature. Can you share some additional information so I can refine my search parameters.

Last edited:
BTW did I mention Fall chores????

Just finished jacking the pool cover in place. Next is stowing away the power washed furniture. Then its off to the Grandsons Birthday Party. So... no shipyard activity today.

9A458139-22C8-4121-9908-C0425A681023.jpeg

I bet not many of you have one of these in your backyard.

A0BAD16F-1D28-4320-BE01-0AFEB5EFFF01_1_201_a.jpeg

It's a Bartlett Pear tree. Another clean up chore in week or so when the fruit drops.

Last edited:
First, I need to thank all of you who stopped by to check out my rambling - bumbling log.

Had a bit of time this morning (raining until about 1:00 PM). Still working on the gun ports. There is good news and bad news.

The good news....

20305EA3-26AB-4D83-9DE2-0B2687FDF610_1_201_a.jpeg

I just could not visualize the gun ports as cut out so I used some old bits from the "I might need this some time bin" just to get an idea if I was on the right track. ( @Heinrich. Just testing with these covers). The two ports look acceptable to me.

The bad news....

D7CFFA03-8D30-4DE0-A9DE-BBFE8E1AC9DC_1_201_a.jpeg

I rushed to get these done when I had a little bit of shoptime available. I appear to be a "LITTLE" off on the circled one, but the one closest to the Bow looks OK. Another lesson learned "Don't rush the result".

I think the Port side will benefit from my bumbling through the Starboard side.

First, I need to thank all of you who stopped by to check out my rambling - bumbling log.

Had a bit of time this morning (raining until about 1:00 PM). Still working on the gun ports. There is good news and bad news.

The good news....

View attachment 329332

I just could not visualize the gun ports as cut out so I used some old bits from the "I might need this some time bin" just to get an idea if I was on the right track. ( @Heinrich. Just testing with these covers). The two ports look acceptable to me.

The bad news....

View attachment 329335

I rushed to get these done when I had a little bit of shoptime available. I appear to be a "LITTLE" off on the circled one, but the one closest to the Bow looks OK. Another lesson learned "Don't rush the result".

I think the Port side will benefit from my bumbling through the Starboard side.
I agree with everything you said, Jan. Bearing in mind that the one that is slightly "off" will be a closed port, it will be less visible with the gunport lid that sits inside the opening. I think the effect is now accentuated by the over-sized port which sits on top of the hull, instead of inside the hull. Yep ... this is one part that you cannot rush - in fact, there is nothing that you can rush on this little lady!

I agree with everything you said, Jan. Bearing in mind that the one that is slightly "off" will be a closed port, it will be less visible with the gunport lid that sits inside the opening. I think the effect is now accentuated by the over-sized port which sits on top of the hull, instead of inside the hull. Yep ... this is one part that you cannot rush - in fact, there is nothing that you can rush on this little lady!
Yup, I think you absolutely right about taking ones time for this little beauty. Lesson learned.

Construction in the Pathfinder65 shipyard has slowed dramatically since Tuesday, it was Covid Booster and Flue shot day. I had enough zip to peruse the Forum but not enough interest or energy to work in the shipyard until today.

DF7E8CEF-3A2B-4B5C-ACF3-3C5120500A07.jpeg

This mornings “effort” was to tackle the gun port doors. So two out twelve are done. I decided to follow Kolderstok’s instructions and forego the cannons. I really like the look of the planking and the closed gun ports. (Got a Thumbs-Upfrom the Admiral for that decision).

Construction in the Pathfinder65 shipyard has slowed dramatically since Tuesday, it was Covid Booster and Flue shot day. I had enough zip to peruse the Forum but not enough interest or energy to work in the shipyard until today.

View attachment 330196

This mornings “effort” was to tackle the gun port doors. So two out twelve are done. I decided to follow Kolderstok’s instructions and forego the cannons. I really like the look of the planking and the closed gun ports. (Got a Thumbs-Upfrom the Admiral for that decision).
I agree fully. I also prefer the look with closed gun ports!

View attachment 330196

Good morning Jan- The admiral knows what she is talking aboutThumbsup. Cheers Grant

Good morning Jan- The admiral knows what she is talking aboutThumbsup. Cheers Grant

Hi Grant

Indeed the Admiral is my favorite critic. I look at my bumbling efforts on my build and then at the WB#2 that Heinrich is working on and marvel at the quality of his workmanship. Even after four other builds I‘m still in the “Oops, Oh Boy, What the?” stage.

Where is my building partner?
Still here, lurking in the background ROTF. Been preparing for visitors from out West who will be here for the next two weeks. The "Honey Do" list is quite extensive.

I've not had much time for the pathfinder boatyard.

I'm also very excited, Pavel's Galleon kit has been cleared through USA customs and will probably be here in the next couple of days.

Not to worry Heinrich, I will finish the WB and my other builds. The Galleon is not on my "multitask" list.

Last edited:
Hi Jan. I'm not worried about you finishing your builds - I was just checking in to find out if everything is OK.

Hi Jan. I'm not worried about you finishing your builds - I was just checkingexci in to find out if everything is OK.
Thank you for checking in. I’ve had only minor reactions to last weeks Covid and Flu shot. I’ve heard and read about some serious problems for others, but both the Admiral and I are doing great. We are very excited, this will be the first time in over ten years when all three of our sons are to house. There will be a lot of catching up to do.

On another note, I did find that on my WB build I need to do a lot of “trimming“ on the next deck. My planking above the wales was not that exact. I had hoped to finish the gun ports this weekend but those will have wait until house is back to normal.

Last edited:
The build crew returns after a long holiday.

I took the WB down from shelf yesterday, dusted off all the sanding dust ( San Bartolome build).

Looking the little hull over and trying to figure out where I left off I noticed some odd bends in the planking.

6FAD82E2-CC13-4461-A078-D6ABD4711483.jpegF6DB55C2-57C3-4854-A3B9-E064190A3B40.jpegD47F867A-43E4-4B51-92FA-C93A08A1F673.jpeg0FDCAA3F-D24A-4D52-B363-5E443E24861F.jpeg

@Heinrich. What do you think? Especially the SB side.

Last edited:
Hi Jan. They were obviously there all along - now that you are placing the deck, its curvature makes it obvious. The only thing that I can think of is that the fairing (despite all our best efforts) was still not enough - and coupled with the strong planks, created creases around the bulkheads. At this point in the build - honestly - I would live with it, because I cannot see how that can be rectified (short of stripping off everything and re-planking the whole hull).

Back