Willem Barentsz by Kolderstok AD 1596

Good news and not so good news. The Hardware stores shelves were just like Mother Hubbards cupboard. Lack of stock and Covid related supply chain problems.

I did find this (one of two on a mostly empty shelf).

View attachment 292010

Four quick passes about an hour apart and twenty four hours of drying and I have this result.

View attachment 292011

The piece in the middle of the hatches was my test piece. I'm happy with the outcome.

View attachment 292012

Only the 1:50 crew and the ships cat will see the hatches. But Heinrich and I know that this small build piece was worth the effort.

Jan
Good call Jan- those hatches came out very well indeed. Cheers

Jan, what you will NOT find on Heinrich's build is the propeller which is required these days. :)
:D I would think if the “Replica” were to sail in the shore waters in my neck of the woods they would need a cage around the propeller to avoid al the Lobster buoys. :D

I had a propeller on my outboard motor get so badly fouled that blades bent inward. I never saw the Lobster buoy but my propeller did snag the rope.

Jan, I am not going to press the "Like" button - I am sure those were expensive repairs. :eek:
Indeed, that was a “fun” afternoon. I had a spare propeller and the right tools, but my outboard is a long shaft, so there was no way to make a repair at sea. Fortunately my local Harbor Master was close by and was able to tow us in. The repair was costly, not only for a new propeller but also a new long shaft. The force of the sudden impact, etc. sheared the worm gear that transferred power from the shaft to the propeller and also cracked the long shaft housing.

Indeed, that was a “fun” afternoon. I had a spare propeller and the right tools, but my outboard is a long shaft, so there was no way to make a repair at sea. Fortunately my local Harbor Master was close by and was able to tow us in. The repair was costly, not only for a new propeller but also a new long shaft. The force of the sudden impact, etc. sheared the worm gear that transferred power from the shaft to the propeller and also cracked the long shaft housing.
I can well imagine that the damage was not isolated to only one area. Ouch, Jan!

Jan,
Not to beat a man when he’s down however, you know the saying regarding owning a boat. “ A boat is a hole in the water that you throw money into”

@Heinrich

A very quick question. Before I go much farther is there some sort of backing required behind the curved pieces to help hold them in place once the tiller hole is cutout.

View attachment 293222

The only thing holding the planks is edge to edge and side to side gluing.

Jan
Hello Jan! First things first. Your stern looks fantastic - great job, my friend! Nope - there is no backing, The edge gluing is more than good enough for that, As the upper planks get added, they compress the already-installed ones and the whole assembly just gets stronger and stronger as you move along.

Hello Jan! First things first. Your stern looks fantastic - great job, my friend! Nope - there is no backing, The edge gluing is more than good enough for that, As the upper planks get added, they compress the already-installed ones and the whole assembly just gets stronger and stronger as you move along.
Excellent, glad to know I‘ve not worked my way into a future problem. I’m finding that this little build is a bit of a challenge. :eek::eek:

Welcome to the wonderful world of ship modeling! ROTF
Thank you for the welcome. I'm about as fast as a Turtle with my progress but eventually I manage to get something done. It's great to have build logs to follow. Both on this Forum as well as on the Dutch Forum.

Jan

Back