Willem Barentsz by Kolderstok AD 1596

Hello Jan. Yes - that is what I did. :)

Well, looks who's here - way to late... Yes it's me :rolleyes:
Sorry I did not see your log earlier. Not that I could add something new to it, as Heinrich is already doing a great and helpfull job here.
You are doing very nice so far. Thumbsup
Hello, hello. Glad to have you looking in on my log. Your advice, criticism or just general comments will be greatly appreciated.

Jan

Well, I like what I have seen so far, it's all very neat and nice.
One thing on the hatch: it is a bit my mistake to draw four lines on the false deck without thoroughly checking if you can reach those dimensions exactly with 7 planks. You have solved it in a nice and good way. The other possibility would have been to make the hatch its outer frame a little bit smaller. 17th Century Dutch ships where built on the eye, and not with a set of drawings and a supervisor with a ruler :).

Hans

Well, I like what I have seen so far, it's all very neat and nice.
One thing on the hatch: it is a bit my mistake to draw four lines on the false deck without thoroughly checking if you can reach those dimensions exactly with 7 planks. You have solved it in a nice and good way. The other possibility would have been to make the hatch its outer frame a little bit smaller. 17th Century Dutch ships where built on the eye, and not with a set of drawings and a supervisor with a ruler :).

Hans
The hatch was a wee bit of a math problem, 2 + 2 didn't quit equal 4. But I'm pleased with my result and as you say there were other ways to make adjustments. I chose to make the outer frame first and then add the glued planks. I couldn't resist teasing Heinrich, he did provide a terrific sketch of that part of the build.

Jan

The proverbial "Do-Over"

The two little gun ports are proving to be a wee bit of a challenge. The idea was to follow the lines on the template.

DC685EAD-C7F4-47CB-97C6-77788DE5F460.jpeg

However my manual dexterity of 40 or so years ago has somehow diminished (don't know what happened to it). The results were not what was envisioned, one port outline looked like a trapezoid and the other ???? I don't think there is geometric name for it.

So the the entire area was reworked to restore it to its former "glory".

8EBCA7EA-2A06-46B4-BD1F-10455B8E4613.jpeg

Now it's on to plan B. (Al-FI at work). Suggestions, critique and just general chit chat is very welcome.

Jan

ROTFROTFROTF I'm not laughing at you - I'm laughing at the memories of my own scribing attempts. Now you know why I gave up on those efforts and actually cut out the gunports. Yes it does mean that you then have to make gunport lids from scratch, but you will have perfectly square ports with a nicely defined outline.

Gun Ports:

@Heinrich

I don't plan on cutting out the gun ports or adding cannons on the stern. What do you think about scribing the port covers with a sharp #11 Blade.

View attachment 293577

My reference, just scribe inside the lines for the port covers???

Jan
Hello Jan. I’ve been watching your and Heinrich build of this WB....it is a build for the brave for sure. So far your “turtle” ;)building is awesome. As for gunports - closed look best to me as well. I enjoy the way Heinrich did his, however builders choice is always the best. Cheers

ROTFROTFROTF I'm not laughing at you - I'm laughing at the memories of my own scribing attempts. Now you know why I gave up on those efforts and actually cut out the gunports. Yes it does mean that you then have to make gunport lids from scratch, but you will have perfectly square ports with a nicely defined outline.
Oh wow, I’m really going to have to think about that one. Right now I’m sort leaning toward my Duyfken solution.

E7848ABD-C5EC-44BD-9935-5C73FA5BFAFC.jpeg

Probably not historically or mechanically correct but a solution nevertheless.

Jan

Hello Jan. I’ve been watching your and Heinrich build of this WB....it is a build for the brave for sure. So far your “turtle” ;)building is awesome. As for gunports - closed look best to me as well. I enjoy the way Heinrich did his, however builders choice is always the best. Cheers
First, its great to have you watching my humble accomplishments. I’m enjoying this build, its become my fallback when I encounter the “I‘ve got to think about this moment” while working on the Sternwheeler.

Second, I‘m awed and amazed by Heinrich’s WB build. His attention to detail is astonishing and the history of the WB he has included is in itself incredible.

It was his original enthusiasm for the WB that had an old dog like me convinced I could follow in his “wake” :D and also build this little ship.

So here we are ……..:eek::eek::rolleyes::rolleyes::oops::oops:

First, its great to have you watching my humble accomplishments. I’m enjoying this build, its become my fallback when I encounter the “I‘ve got to think about this moment” while working on the Sternwheeler.

Second, I‘m awed and amazed by Heinrich’s WB build. His attention to detail is astonishing and the history of the WB he has included is in itself incredible.

It was his original enthusiasm for the WB that had an old dog like me convinced I could follow in his “wake” :D and also build this little ship.

So here we are ……..:eek::eek::rolleyes::rolleyes::oops::oops:
It's when the "in progress" list starts to overtake the "built" list that we move from hobby to addiction. Just sayin'.

Jan I sent you a PM re the gunport lids on the Duyfken and WB.

Planking the "A" deck:

This is sort of a no starter and why do it thing. The "A" deck will never be seen so "plank it"?? I did do the hatches for the "A" deck so planking the the deck will be a great learning exercise since my errors will never show. But now that I've started I find that Heinrich and company neglected to mentions the process involved in their logs.

The process -- cut the pieces to length, dab glue on them and then wiggle them down through the forest of Bulkheads, set them in place and "HOLD" them while the glue dries.

I found the "HOLD" them in place a bit of a problem since the deck slopes Port to Starboard and Stem to Stern (see I've learned some of that ship language :D).

182982C2-43AA-46AD-A2B0-DDB8EF373A4A_1_201_a.jpeg

B22B699A-5DA3-4736-B244-CE91970F549E.jpeg

My simple solution

The Port to Starboard strip held by the clamps does nice job holding the planks in position.

Jan

Back