Willem Barentsz by Kolderstok AD 1596

Looking good Jan! Are you going to plank the whole deck or partial (like Piet has done)? Just thinking that if you do not plan on installing cannons, there is no need to plank the whole deck. You can add two or three rows on either side of what you have already done, and then that is enough! :)

A bit of a discussion with Admiral this morning. Not an exact quote, but close.

The object of the discussion.

F0CA17AC-6FBC-46FE-8D02-81B41C4E6477.jpeg

Admiral, “What are you doing?”

Me, “ I’m trying to outline two gun ports so I can cut them out.”

Admiral, “Why?”

Me, “ It’s the next step for this part of the build”.

Admiral, “Didn’t you do that before?”

Me, “Yes, I tried to scribe an outline of them, the result was terrible and I filled the scribed lines in and sanded them down.”

Admiral, “So this time you’re going to scribe the outline of those “dinghy’s”, cut and file them out, just so can have two holes that you’re going to cover up later?”

Me, “Yup.”

Admiral, “That’s nuts.”

Me, “ “

Looking good Jan! Are you going to plank the whole deck or partial (like Piet has done)? Just thinking that if you do not plan on installing cannons, there is no need to plank the whole deck. You can add two or three rows on either side of what you have already done, and then that is enough! :)
Well Heinrich, after my discussion with the Admiral this morning I took a ride to one my favorite spots and contemplated her “logic” :D:D:D.

797562D8-4643-4154-A99F-30F9E3D21D24.jpeg

Sitting there munching my Donut and sipping coffee while looking at the peaceful sea, I couldn’t help laughing at the Admirals response. Indeed her reaction was not far off the mark. ;);)

ROTF Of course you are nuts - so am I and so are many of us! But now you have to take the logic further. Scribing the lines without cutting out the ports is what you SHOULD do - that is why that would be logical. However I messed up and - according to yourself so did you. In my case, I cut too deep to salvage it, so I had no other option but to cut them out, You however, can try again! Or you can cut them out and place cannons like I showed you, in which case you avoid being monkey food. But seeing that you said you are not going to install cannons, that would not be logical either. :)And should the second attempt at scribing not work either, then the illogical becomes the only option - which - would then make it logical!

So, to sum up - fancy another attempt at scribing?

ROTF Of course you are nuts - so am I and so are many of us! But now you have to take the logic further. Scribing the lines without cutting out the ports is what you SHOULD do - that is why that would be logical. However I messed up and - according to yourself so did you. In my case, I cut too deep to salvage it, so I had no other option but to cut them out, You however, can try again! Or you can cut them out and place cannons like I showed you, in which case you avoid being monkey food. But seeing that you said you are not going to install cannons, that would not be logical either. :)And should the second attempt at scribing not work either, then the illogical becomes the only option - which - would then make it logical!

Perhaps a second donut would add some clarity...

Of course you are nuts - so am I and so are many of us! But now you have to take the logic further. Scribing the lines without cutting out the ports is what you SHOULD do - that is why that would be logical. However I messed up and - according to yourself so did you. In my case, I cut too deep to salvage it, so I had no other option but to cut them out, You however, can try again! Or you can cut them out and place cannons like I showed you, in which case you avoid being monkey food. But seeing that you said you are not going to install cannons, that would not be logical either. :)And should the second attempt at scribing not work either, then the illogical becomes the only option - which - would then make it logical!
I guess it comes down to degree of "NUTS", I have to admit it was great comment on the Admirals part. Your postulation sounds like "Spock" on Star Trek. "So the illogical has to pass the test to become the logical whether "Nuts" or not :cool:."

Geez I'm going to have to get another cup of coffee and a second donut and head to my thinking spot on the beach and think this over. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

That's the plan. But I need a better way of doing it. I'm going to cobble together some planks of the right dimensions and see if I can figure out a better way to do it than using a ruler and a #11 blade. Eyesight and not so dexterous fingers are the major problem.

Jan

The door came out beautifully _ I cant wait to finish mine as well. Tip - do not yet glue it onto the stern. Benefit of hindsight that I can pass onto you.

You are doing a great job on your WB Jan, beautiful place to think it over as well, there on the beach
Thank you for the compliment. It is a pleasant spot to sit, enjoy the sounds of the waves, watch the seagulls, walk the dog or just sit and think. I’ve spent many a happy hour sitting there perusing WB builds on SOS, Dutch and French model ship forums. I hope my humble efforts will be as good.

Back