Willem Barentsz by Kolderstok AD 1596

To start my kit arrived from Kolderstok in excellent shape due to their conscientious packing methods.

I think it's great to be able to read the Kolderstok build instructions, scrutinize Heinrich build log and bumble my into the start of a new adventure.

The frames are imbedded in sturdy 6mm plus ply and might be difficult for some to extract, but I found using chisel tip and a couple of taps from my small hammer on the tabs that held them place and viola out they came.

F09393C9-B306-4019-A324-AF22FD570154_1_201_a.jpeg

The next step was to dry mount the frames to the false keel.

A142F4C2-1656-4296-96B3-7E23F86CFF00_1_201_a.jpeg

The frames slid nicely into their appriopate slots.

2A0340EE-E01E-4D6B-9E12-D3DA7FEB40AB_1_201_a.jpeg

Looking down through the frames there appear to be several that are not flush with the top of the keel. So now we have my first build question. "File/sand the slot in the keel or file/sand the slot in the frame"?

That gets us to page 5 of the manual, the placement of the mast backing on frame 1 and the adding the parts to frame 11.

61E64E14-C7CD-48C0-BF0C-B1188B3ED393_1_201_a.jpeg

Not much progress but progress nevertheless.

Jan

Jan, best wishes for your WB build. You can’t go wrong with Kolderstoks instructions and for a comprehensive set of instructions, as you know, Heinrich’s is first rate.
I’ll have a couple of excellent build logs when I get to my build. I did shelve my WB and will be starting on the Kolderstok Statenjacht next.

Ron

Great stuff Jan! I am ecstatic to see you start your build. Everything is still fresh in my mind and I give you the necessary tips.

So, in answer to your first question. It is IMPERATIVE that all the bulkheads need to be perfectly flush with the top of the false keel. You need the deck to lie perfectly flat on those, so that is first priority.

Remember that when you plank the stern (Frame 11), that you use the 1mm x 4mm walnut planks and NOT the 1.5mm ones that I used.

I see now that I gave you an incomplete answer. First remove all the char from both keel and bulkheads and fit again. If there are still some that are too high, make the adjustment on the bulkheads themselves.

Jan, best wishes for your WB build. You can’t go wrong with Kolderstoks instructions and for a comprehensive set of instructions, as you know, Heinrich’s is first rate.
I’ll have a couple of excellent build logs when I get to my build. I did shelve my WB and will be starting on the Kolderstok Statenjacht next.

Ron
Thanks Ron, the build looks like a great challenge.

Jan

I see now that I gave you an incomplete answer. First remove all the char from both keel and bulkheads and fit again. If there are still some that are too high, make the adjustment on the bulkheads themselves.
Excellent advice Heinrich, that seems like a logical place to start. I'll give that a go in the morning.

Jan

“I see now that I gave you an incomplete answer. First remove all the char from both keel and bulkheads and fit again. If there are still some that are too high, make the adjustment on the bulkheads themselves”

I removed the char from the keel and the bulkheads, the fit of some of them was still a bit problematic. So I spent some time filing, fitting, filing, until I was satisfied with the final fit of all the pieces.

631664B3-6616-499B-86E8-C1E6C6E72619.jpeg69984AC7-6DD4-44AB-8959-D80AADF21505.jpeg295C30D6-553A-475F-AFF9-F0E3634D9449.jpeg

I’ve been taking my time gluing and squaring the bulkheads/frames. Heinrich indicated that this is the foundation for the rest of the build. So the time spent completing this part as perfectly as I can will be a bonus.

Jan

Jan, those frames sit beautifully on the keel. Thumbsup Take your time with the gluing - you are absolutely correct in doing so. Give us a final shout-out when this phase is done - there is just something I want to tell you before you glue the deck.

Good luck, and i wish you a lot of fun with the Willem Barentsz
Peter, I am very glad to see you here on Jan's log as well. Jan is my oldest friend on SOS and you are my oldest friend on Modelbouwforum, so it is great to have you here as well. Oldest refers to the time we have "known" one another and not to age! :)

Jan, those frames sit beautifully on the keel. Thumbsup Take your time with the gluing - you are absolutely correct in doing so. Give us a final shout-out when this phase is done - there is just something I want to tell you before you glue the deck.
I’ll probably be a couple of days before the assembly is complete. You’ll chuckle but I’ve blocked out my hobby calendar as one day on the sternwheeler, one day on the little dove, one day on this build, one day on the model railroad. The rest of the time is at the Admirals discretion.

Jan

I’ll probably be a couple of days before the assembly is complete. You’ll chuckle but I’ve blocked out my hobby calendar as one day on the sternwheeler, one day on the little dove, one day on this build, one day on the model railroad. The rest of the time is at the Admirals discretion.

Jan
SO many hobbies! Wisdom says the Admiral gets first pickings... Not good for her to see herself in the lineup as just another hobby ROTF.

Jan
Well at least you have time for Admiral doo's in the schedule.

Mine usually issues orders at the time I am about to go to the shop for the evening.

OK Jan. First off. dry-fit all four quarters of the deck before you glue anything into place. If all fit and align properly, you can start gluing.

69984AC7-6DD4-44AB-8959-D80AADF21505.jpeg
In addition to the curvature that the hull makes from bow to stern, there is also a marked curvature when viewing the hull from the bow or dtern - the deck also curves from port to starboard and vice versa. When gluing down the deck make sure that the deck is flush with the whole frame right into the corners - as in the above picture.

69984AC7-6DD4-44AB-8959-D80AADF21505 - Copy.jpeg

In other words, you don't want the deck to sit this like on the frames - grossly exaggerated here, but it does get the point across.

That's it my friend - it's nothing earth-shattering, but it is a point to note nevertheless.

Back