Krait model

At our Historical Village and Museum here in Hervey Bay, Queensland, Australia,we have been given a model of the "Krait", approx 4 foot long.
We intend to use this model in a display related to operation "Jaywick" as we are just across the water from Fraser Island where Z Force did their training.
This model lacks authenticity which I have been asked to provide and apply.
The last model I made was a balsa plane around 75 years ago but I am handy with wood, metal and rope, also woodturning.
The pics attached are of our model plus the one in the Australian War memorial.
I can't expect to achieve the AWM model standard as I only have 1 1/2 months to complete this.
The main areas are:
The rigging, including timber ratlines
Sail halyards, sheaves etc.
The cabin to be planked
The deck to be planked
Adding missing deck hatches
Adding screen at rear of canopy
Repainting in more authentic colours
I am sure more will come to mind as I progress.
Any and all help appreciated, especially regarding the planking and ratline attachment.

DSC_3867.JPG

IMG20220315091122.jpg

IMG20220315091246.jpg

3910960.JPG

KraitAWM3.JPG

Last edited:
When you compare the picture of the model in your opening comment, to the Modellers shipyard kit you can clearly see the hull is the wrong shape.

Maybe you can email the vender of that kit and get a copy of instructions and ships plans for use in upgrading your kit.

If you click the link for the MV Krait above it opens to web page to buy the kit but more important it has a link to download the instructions.

They is a lot you don't need, but the back shows mast, yard and rigging information.

At our Historical Village and Museum here in Hervey Bay, Queensland, Australia,we have been given a model of the "Krait", approx 4 foot long.
We intend to use this model in a display related to operation "Jaywick" as we are just across the water from Fraser Island where Z Force did their training.
This model lacks authenticity which I have been asked to provide and apply.
The last model I made was a balsa plane around 75 years ago but I am handy with wood, metal and rope, also woodturning.
The pics attached are of our model plus the one in the Australian War memorial.
I can't expect to achieve the AWM model standard as I only have 1 1/2 months to complete this.
The main areas are:
The rigging, including timber ratlines
Sail halyards, sheaves etc.
The cabin to be planked
The deck to be planked
Adding missing deck hatches
Adding screen at rear of canopy
Repainting in more authentic colours
I am sure more will come to mind as I progress.
Any and all help appreciated, especially regarding the planking and ratline attachment.

View attachment 296422

View attachment 296423

View attachment 296424

View attachment 296425

View attachment 296426
Progress so far
Stripped original model down and started to make parts such as extra hatch covers etc.. and cutting some cardboard planks
BT

New Hatches.jpg

Planking test Cardboard.jpg

Model stripped.jpg

Original length 21336mm. Model length 1300mm
So I am presuming if I divide original by model length I will get approx scale which is 1/16
Based on this, what size cord should I be using for ratlines, halyards, forestay etc. ?
Also what size sheaves for halyards and boom control?
Thanks

Progress on wheelhouse, nearly finished.
Can anyone help with the correct gaff boom setup on the Krait?
The ANWM model shows the halrad going to the end of the boom while the Modellers Central Krait instructions show it next to the mast.
Regards
Brian

IMG_5570.JPG

Before and after. Now completed. Thanks for all the help.
Brian

View attachment 301518

View attachment 301519
Great job.
My father said he went out on the Krait from Darwin once during WWII but I can't identify when that was. Most of the time he was a gunner on Light Anti Aircraft Bofors but he also did a stint "in radar" in Darwin which was hush hush. Maybe went out to one of the Islands to set up radar equipment?

Back