Krick Grimmershorn 1/20 scale Motor vessel built by neptune

This model has a ABS hull and wooden superstructure, I hope I am placing it in the right category,

See info below about the vessel,

Krick Grimmershorn
The Motor vessel 'Grimmershorn' was built in 1956/57 by Hansa Stahlund Schiffbau GmbH at Koln-Deutz for the Waterways and Shipping Administration at Cuxhaven. Her Daimler-Benz four stroke diesel engine had an output of 500hp. permitting a speed of 11.5 knots.

Our model was constructed according to shipyard plans and corresponds to the construction of 1957. The model can take a high payload and its fuselage volume makes it ideal for carrying out special functions.
The model kit contains ABS prefabricated parts for hull and bulwark, milled plywood parts for the superstructures, all fittings, shaft with stern tube and rudder set. Electric motor, paint and adhesives are not included in the kit.

Specifications:
Scale: 1:20
Length: 1038mm
Beam 305mm

Last edited:
1.jpg
Well Jim you asked for a review and here is a build log, these five pics are of the ABS parts, namely the lower hull
and the bulwarks, both of these parts have to be trimmed, as I will show in the next posting,hope you enjoy,

2.jpg
she has a nice clean hull and bulwarks, the mouldings are very good,

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Many thanks, John for starting the build log. I will watch it with big interest, and sure others will follow as your build progresses. What is exactly an ABS? Is it just a name for a specific plastic\resin or something else?

11.jpg

the vac forming's for the rescue boat

12.jpg
another view

13.jpg
all the windows and the frames are moulded in one also the port holes,

14.jpg
a full size set of plans,

15.jpg
and two smaller construction drawings

16.jpg

17.jpg
some of the fittings, she comes complete with prop and shaft anda lot of other fittings that I will show during the build,

18.jpg
there are name transfers , brass tube, everything except the motor,

19.jpg
lifebelts chain etc,

Also, does the kit designed in mind for RC operations? Does it include any hardware for it?

Many thanks, John for starting the build log. I will watch it with big interest, and sure others will follow as your build progresses. What is exactly an ABS? Is it just a name for a specific plastic\resin or something else?

I had to look it up myself,

Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS) is an opaque thermoplastic and amorphous polymer. “Thermoplastic” (as opposed to “thermoset”) refers to the way the material responds to heat. ... Instead of burning, thermoplastics like ABS liquefy, which allows them to be easily injection molded and then subsequently recycled.

Also, does the kit designed in mind for RC operations? Does it include any hardware for it?
Yes Jim it is designed for the pond and comes with prop, prop shaft rudder, but you have supply the motor and radio control, which is usually the case,

I am attaching a pic I found on the net, she is a beautiful build, but I dont know who to credit the pic to, the builder has done an amazing job with her, if its not ok to post the pic you can remove it,

a.jpg

best regards John,

20.jpg
the hull as supplied, you have to cut off the part that is standing up, if you know what I mean,

21.jpg
I found the best way was to lie the hull on its side and trimm the excess with a sharp craft knife,

22.jpg
you can see better in this pic what I mean,

23.jpg
and the hull after trimming,

24.jpg
next job was to mark on the back of the hull where the rudder and prop support pieces had to go, so I cut a flexible
strip of wood just under the width of the keel, I got my Admiral to hold one end against the back of the keel and I
held the other where the rudder post would be and marked it with pencil,

25.jpg
the marked area,

26.jpg
just working out where the upper support has to go,

27.jpg
then I drilled through the hull for the prop shaft,

28.jpg
then I CA glued both pieces in place removing the shaft tube till later on,

29.jpg
I then inserted a couple of small screws into each piece using small metal cups that come with the screws to
spread the tension,

30.jpg
a close up view,

31.jpg
I drilled the hole for the rudder tube after attaching the keel extension piece that supports the rudder, you can just
see it at the top of the pic,

32.jpg
then I CA glued the rudder tube in place using the rudder shaft as a guide,

33.jpg
close up view,

34.jpg
I then glued up the rudder itself to the rudder shaft, the rudder has to be sanded to shape yet, rounded off,

35.jpg
then I epoxied the prop tube in place,

37.jpg
So here we are at the deck, which is made up of four main pieces and some trimming wood to around the hatch,
this is the fore part of the deck,

38.jpg
close up showing where i have worked out where the holes for the anchor chains will go through the deck,

36.jpg
and an overall view gluing the deck in place,

39.jpg
this is the part I have been dreading, I have to cut the lower lip from this moulding and then cut out the top
part to form the bulwarks,

40.jpg
the moulding upside down, I cut off the lower lip first, very carefully,

41.jpg
then I had to cut out the large piece of ABS in the middle to leave the bulwarks in one piece, I scratched my head
and came up with the following idea, I would use my verniers to score around the top of the ABS, then hopefully
use a sharp knife to finish the job,

42.jpg
scoring the plastic, had to be careful that I didnt score the side part too much,

43.jpg
anyway the knife wouldnt cut it so I ended running a razor saw back and forth in the groove the vernier had
cut and I cut most of it out that way,

44.jpg
nearly there,

45.jpg
and finally its done,

46.jpg
and a few pics of the bulwarks glued to the hull,

47.jpg

48.jpg

49.jpg

50.jpg
just some trimming to do and there is a rubber moulding that goes around the hull that covers the join,

Wow John! That is a lot of work already done for a first posting! She is looking great Sir!

Thank you Heinrich, all this work was done over two weeks ago, I have just gotten round to posting it, I have have a very bad case of Para influenza, its a Virus and they cannot give you anything for it, all I could take was Panadol to help with the aches, i hope to be over it in the next week,

best regards john,

Last edited:
Great post, I will be very interested in this build. I have often thought about a Krick kit.
Allan

Thank you for viewing my log, I have previously only made one other kit from Krick and that was the Borkum steam launch, that was a really beautiful kit to build, there was hardly any trimming at all on the hull, i will add a link to my build log so you can see her,

https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/...-from-stuart-turner-cas-completed-build.1568/

best regards John,

51.jpg
This shows the build up of the superstructure, everthing went together just perfectly,

52.jpg
this when you need a few clamps,

53.jpg

54.jpg
the only things that had to be trimmed were the window panels,

55.jpg

57.jpg

56.jpg

58.jpg
well this is where I am up to at the present, so things will slow down a little from now on, there is a lot of filling and
sanding to smooth and blend everything in together,

again thank you for visiting my build,

best regards John,

Back