Kyrenia Ship, 290 BCE Reconstruction POF Build Log PT-2 [COMPLETED BUILD]

The kit finally arrived in a plain corregated cardboard box with instruction manual in Chinese, single plan sheet, and laser cut parts except for small dowels. I will likely swap out and upgrade some of the rigging fittings and lines. Kyrenia Kit Box.jpgKyrenai Wrapped Parts.jpgKyrenia Laser cut parts.jpgKyrenai Kit Instruction Manual.jpgKarenia Instructions Process Example.jpgKyrenai Parts.jpgKyrenia Unfolded Plan Sheet.jpg
While my Bluenose MS2130 is being finished I have time to study this kit carefully to better understand the insturctions via grap;hics as all text is in Chinese. I will bring some of my side research into the wreck discovery, recovery, and reconstruction to bear on how this model will be worked out and possibly tricked up according to the best underwater archaeological research papers on the Kyrenia and the three following reconstructions that have been build and sailed. Ships and boats didn't move very fast in the Late Bronze Age so I don't have to stress over a fast beaten tempo of rowing while there is no wind to fill the sail.
Rich (PT-2)

I'm glad to see that your kit has arrived. I see the manufacturer is Shicheng Model Company which is one of the BIG THREE in China. It will be interesting to see what you will swap out the rigging with if you do decide to do so. I have no doubt that the model has the potential to be built into a very nice one - the subject is unique and, based on the pictures, the quality looks good.

The kit finally arrived in a plain corregated cardboard box with instruction manual in Chinese, single plan sheet, and laser cut parts except for small dowels. I will likely swap out and upgrade some of the rigging fittings and lines. View attachment 258664View attachment 258665View attachment 258666View attachment 258667View attachment 258668View attachment 258670View attachment 258669
While my Bluenose MS2130 is being finished I have time to study this kit carefully to better understand the insturctions via grap;hics as all text is in Chinese. I will bring some of my side research into the wreck discovery, recovery, and reconstruction to bear on how this model will be worked out and possibly tricked up according to the best underwater archaeological research papers on the Kyrenia and the three following reconstructions that have been build and sailed. Ships and boats didn't move very fast in the Late Bronze Age so I don't have to stress over a fast beaten tempo of rowing while there is no wind to fill the sail.
Rich (PT-2)
Nice, I see you have your helper there. ;)

It is looking like a very interesting kit - I will follow your log with big interest
I mentioned some of the research papers that I have on the wreck, recovery, and reconstruction. One in book form I previously posted is Wooden Ship Building and the Interpretation of Shipwrecks, J. Richard Steffy, one of the original diving recovery and then reconstruction members who is now deceased. The cover shows a reconstructed sailing Kyrenia on the cover. He focused more closely on this boat pages 42 - 59 with a combination of photos and drawings.
The cover with my appology for the overhead light glare:
Wooden Ship Building and the Interpretatin of Shipwrecks.jpg

Now a diagram showing the close but offset mortise and tenon layout which secured the strakes into the hull which was structurally secure in itself. I will simulate the anchoring pins:
Kryenia Pinned Mortice and Tennon.jpg

Next is a diagram of securing stakes at the scarf joints which the kit does not recognize or include:
Kyrenia Scarf Joints with Mortise and Tennon.jpg
And a drawing of some of the recovered scarf joints with the strake fragments Kyrenia Wreck Scarf Joints Fragments.jpg
Lastly for now is a cross section of a frame and longitudinal members from the wreck remains"
Kyrenia Framing Section.jpg
Not shown here are example drawings of recovered sheave blocks, deadeyes, heart blocks, etc. . . associated with rigging which of course decomposed long ago leaving only the working components from the larger as the blocks down to small lead rings sewn onto the sail for brailing lines from fairleads on to of the yard. This will be an interesting melding of research papers together with the kit itself. Slow winds and progress forecasted. Rich

I mentioned some of the research papers that I have on the wreck, recovery, and reconstruction. One in book form I previously posted is Wooden Ship Building and the Interpretation of Shipwrecks, J. Richard Steffy, one of the original diving recovery and then reconstruction members who is now deceased. The cover shows a reconstructed sailing Kyrenia on the cover. He focused more closely on this boat pages 42 - 59 with a combination of photos and drawings.
The cover with my appology for the overhead light glare:
View attachment 258813

Now a diagram showing the close but offset mortise and tenon layout which secured the strakes into the hull which was structurally secure in itself. I will simulate the anchoring pins:
View attachment 258814

Next is a diagram of securing stakes at the scarf joints which the kit does not recognize or include:
View attachment 258816
And a drawing of some of the recovered scarf joints with the strake fragments View attachment 258817
Lastly for now is a cross section of a frame and longitudinal members from the wreck remains"
View attachment 258821
Not shown here are example drawings of recovered sheave blocks, deadeyes, heart blocks, etc. . . associated with rigging which of course decomposed long ago leaving only the working components from the larger as the blocks down to small lead rings sewn onto the sail for brailing lines from fairleads on to of the yard. This will be an interesting melding of research papers together with the kit itself. Slow winds and progress forecasted. Rich
Thank you, John, it will be net tack from my BN as both will likely be going on at the same time challenging for work space as good periodic diversion while completing my BN. Rich

Thank you, John, it will be net tack from my BN as both will likely be going on at the same time challenging for work space as good periodic diversion while completing my BN. Rich
For those following this thread and wanting a YouTube break presenting the discovery, and reconstruction no only of the wreck but of actual replicas including a good presentation upon the construction here is a link of 54 minutes:
I will be examining some of the details for inclusion my my own model. Rich (PT-2)

For those following this thread and wanting a YouTube break presenting the discovery, and reconstruction no only of the wreck but of actual replicas including a good presentation upon the construction here is a link of 54 minutes:
I will be examining some of the details for inclusion my my own model. Rich (PT-2)
And on more YouTube of a Cyprian model builder with his Kyrenia that is possibly twice the size of my kit model. Very nicely done but larger may be easier for the small detailing.
Rich

HI RICH LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS BUILD AS THIS KIT IS ON MY TODO LIST COULD YOU TELL ME DIMENSIONS ESPECIALLY LENGTH. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE YOU AND YOURS DON
Length is 13-1/2 inches outside face of the cutwater to same of the stern post but when the two aft rudders are included, which project aft about an inch is added, depending upon the angle of the rudder stock. The height per drawing from bottom of keel to top of the mast is 11-5/8 inches at the placement of the mast. Beam to outside of railings is 8-1/8 inches. Drawings are metric from my checking in the scale conversion to actual dimensions of the recovered wreck. The laser cut lumber on the bill of materials has only integer numbers that I checked for the same in metric and found mm milled pieces to vary up and down from the integer presented.
Only a few decimals of mm up or down but enough to produce assembly problems so I will have to deal with that when building and possibly mill my own as best I can with my lower grade mini equipment .
Rich (PT-2)

Great model. Congrats wish all the best. Here is a video to it, build with some modifications.

Yes, the builder included their own artistic license and interpretation of an iconographic concept painted on a piece of pottery. Nautical archeologists and research papers on BA boats/ships have well argued tht they are not to be trusted as accurate, in many the researchers state that the artist likely had never seen an actual ship but was using a traditional concept or one of his own. It is a nice model though. I appreciate all of the resources that we come across but will vet them to my best ability and other opinions from other sources matching up with the consensus or most recent papers. My BN is almost done so that within a couple of weeks I should be able to begin the Kyrenia model. If I have any diversionary work I'll post that. Rich (PT-2)

Yes, the builder included their own artistic license and interpretation of an iconographic concept painted on a piece of pottery. Nautical archeologists and research papers on BA boats/ships have well argued tht they are not to be trusted as accurate, in many the researchers state that the artist likely had never seen an actual ship but was using a traditional concept or one of his own. It is a nice model though. I appreciate all of the resources that we come across but will vet them to my best ability and other opinions from other sources matching up with the consensus or most recent papers. My BN is almost done so that within a couple of weeks I should be able to begin the Kyrenia model. If I have any diversionary work I'll post that. Rich (PT-2)
In contrast to my posting above, cautioning upon the accuracy and depending upon iconography, here is a dissenting in part research paper which presents the author's broad scope referenced interpretations of ancient art/iconography to ships/boats. There are always two sides to coins . . .at least those properly produced and not slipped through the stamping process. Large pdf file for the paper which has numerous graphics and some photos.
Needless to say that my initial interest in a Phoenecian trade boat and now Kryenia wreck have drawn me into in-depth study of the Bronze Ages in the Eastern Med. and north in the Aegian areas in general including some what in the early dynasties of Egypt as related to boat building and usage.

The insert/download failed as being too large.
You may find it by Googling:
On the Interpretation of Watercraft in Ancient Art, Shelley Wachsmann, approved paper 11 Dec., 2019.

Rich (PT-2)

@PT-2 Yes I agree with that. Still the pottery remains the only source, considering that ship wrecks remains of that period are only parts of the lower hulls.

That said, I recall when I finished the drawings of the model in the above video I have discussed the case with one of the Kyrenia replica builders at the University of Cyprus (I am in Cyprus) and the verdict was that such a version of the ship may have existed and may not have existed.

So Rich wish you fan with the model and I let you know that I have a lot of photographic material of the replica of Kyrenia (the ship is in the marina hundred meters away from my house) which is in your disposal if you wish it.

Christos

@PT-2 Yes I agree with that. Still the pottery remains the only source, considering that ship wrecks remains of that period are only parts of the lower hulls.

That said, I recall when I finished the drawings of the model in the above video I have discussed the case with one of the Kyrenia replica builders at the University of Cyprus (I am in Cyprus) and the verdict was that such a version of the ship may have existed and may not have existed.

So Rich wish you fan with the model and I let you know that I have a lot of photographic material of the replica of Kyrenia (the ship is in the marina hundred meters away from my house) which is in your disposal if you wish it.

Christos
I would greatly appreciate any photos that you can send as I want to have as much information, as well vetted as feasible, for my consideration and incorporation. I think that there have been three reconstructions of Karenia built and sailed across the past two decades or so, some possibly with some variations incorporated from their sailing experiences.
Replaying your log video I very much like the sound track music/chant. Changing time and location it is very similar to "The Gael" from Last of the Mohicans movie. Well done zoom and cropping video. I was surprised at the anchors not being the single hole stone anchors but in a paper on the evolution of anchors I can see how that form with lead placed into the arms of the anchor may have been evolved at time of this boat.. I am also considering the mortise and tenon with peggs forming the structural shell for which the recovded strakes substantiate. Those pegs will be a challenge in layout and patience to present if I decide to do so. RIch

Yes you are right again, the anchors, where they stones with hole/s or that what I have placed on the modell? I believe stone anchors were not any more in use at the time Kyrenia was sunk (I believe 350 bc).

There were 2 replicas. Kyrenia II is the picture I posted above.

Definitly pegs and tenons. Shell-first method was used by this Ολκάς (Olkas) the commercial ship of tha era.

Last edited:
Back