Forum Moderator

Planset Review:
L´AURORE
Pleasure Corvette 1766-1775 by Nicolas Ozanne

by Gerard Delacroix

IMG_42571.jpg IMG_42581.jpg

MONOGRAPH with sixteen plates at 1:36 scale and one at 1:48 scale
available in french or italian language at:

https://ancre.fr/en/monograph/64-monographie-de-l-aurore-corvette-1766.html#/langue-francais

Now also available with a planset in scale 1:24

Excerpts from the drawings:
efd939ad019f7f15bbdc683141dc821c.png

6f5b75172ee4250da925cc10f121cacf.png 574e6134cf981be3fef1351854a3695b.png 977895091e24400d970701f7a4dcb89f.png

Size of the model in scale 1:36:
Unbenannt.JPG

SYNOPSIS:

Our collection is now richer by one more work. It happens that the title "L'Aurore" is already used for the monograph of a slave ship whose deceptive name ("The Dawn") masked her sinister activities. This other Aurore, that Gérard Delacroix was kind enough to call a" pleasure sloop-of-war", bears an appropriate name. The fact that it evokes daybreak is justified as it refers to the first successes in calculating longitude thanks to the use of clocks or time-keepers, as chronometers were originally called.

Like its predecessors, this monograph comprises two inseparable aspects. The first aspect, properly developed, presents the historical context of the ship which justifies and valorizes the second aspect, the ship itself, which is the subject of the monograph. With the building of a ship's model, the topic took on greater importance. The Aurore monograph provides us with an excellent historical case of how the marquis de Courtanvaux decided to prepare and finance a cruise so as to experiment with naval clocks intended to determine longitude. For that kind of cruise, a sloop-of-the-war was built in Le Havre on a private building site. After this presentation, Gérard Delacroix describes the 1767 voyage, including long excerpts from the book published in 1767, that gave a detailed account of that voyage. This historical context is completed by documents (manuscripts from the Bibliothèque Sainte-Geneviève), the importance of armament in 1767; and especially the detailed list of the sloop-of-the-war's contents when she was handed over to the King in 1769.

The ship's model that was built just after the cruise is the main topic of the monograph. It is preserved in the Bibliothèque Sainte-Geneviève. The modest dimensions of the Aurore made it possible to use 1:12 scale for that model. The interest of this ship model is exceptional as a civil ship is very rare in our collections, especially at that time. The large scale allowed the smallest details to be shown, and the model is surprisingly realistic. The fact that this ship model was built by professionals who were on the voyage gives it an absolutely authentic value. However, one wishes that a few elements (such as boats and guns) would not have disappeared . Ship's model builders being practical-minded, they will certainly appreciate the numerous details and there is much to be learned from the abundant illustrations. This sloop-of-the-war was actually conceived as a small yacht. Its decoration is very stylish and even the accommodations were arranged in an originalfashion. The scientists were able to work in a very refined-even luxurious-setting. Nearly one hundred plates allow the viewer to judge the smallest details, such as the very well-made carved patterns. Gérard Delacroix's commentaries give the necessary explanations for the seventeen plates at 1:36 scale. There is a detailed description of rigging, and various notes constituting the "building file" that will not disappoint amateurs nor the most demanding ship's model builders.

IMG_42591.jpg

PRESENTATION OF THE MONOGRAPH

To match the usual presentation : 24 x 31cm format, full grey-blue cloth strong binding,
laminated inside dust jacket.
132-p. square spine pasted and sewn booklet, Sirène 120 gr. offset paper,
with numerous illustrations 102 photographs with commentaries
(including 29 color photos, 16 plates at 1:36 scale and 1 plate at 1:48 scale).

CONTENT OF THE MONOGRAPH

BOOKLET:

132 p. booklet, 24x31cm format, including:

A preface by Jean Boudriot
History of the sloop-of-the-war
Longitude and naval clocks
The Marquis de Courtanvaux
The voyage of the AURORE from May 21 to August 28, 1767
Various documents related to the AURORE (sale to the King, list of the ship's contents, the role of the crew)
Presentation of the model
Decks
Below deck accommodations
Decoration
Detailed photos of the ship model (39 photos with commentaries)

Monograph
Commentary and explanation of the plates (reduced to 1:72 scale)
Description of rigging (13 pages devoted to the characteristics and the outline of all elements of fixed and running rigging).
Detailed photos of rigging (37 photos with commentary).

A total of 111 photos (29 color photos) and annotated documents.

DRAWINGS:

List of plates at 1:36 scale
( a drawing of the framework is not included)

1 - Definition of the volumes of the hull
1 bis - The sizes of the body plans
2 - Building the stern
3 - Building the head
4 - Building decks
5 - Cross-sections
6 - View of the internal side and longitudinal section
7 - Building breastworks, helm and boats
8 - Details of fitting
9 - Full view
10 - Views of stern and bow
11- Over view
12 - Masts and yards
13- Masting accessories
14/15. Sails, flags and pendants. Awnings
16 - Large view under sail
17 - Definition of the hull and size of body plans (Plate in 1:48)

Photos du modèle de M. Mallet Hubert (Photographe : Olivier Gatine)

LOOK Inside of the Booklet

IMG_42601.jpg

IMG_42611.jpg IMG_42621.jpg

IMG_42631.jpg IMG_42641.jpg

IMG_42651.jpg IMG_42661.jpg

IMG_42671.jpg IMG_42681.jpg

IMG_42691.jpg IMG_42701.jpg

IMG_42711.jpg IMG_42721.jpg

to be continued in the following post ......

Planset Review: PART II
L´AURORE
Pleasure Corvette 1766-1775 by Nicolas Ozanne

by Gerard Delacroix

some more views on the booklet - monograph

IMG_42731.jpg IMG_42741.jpg

IMG_42751.jpg IMG_42761.jpg

IMG_42761.jpg

IMG_42771.jpg IMG_42781.jpg

IMG_42791.jpg IMG_42801.jpg

IMG_42811.jpg IMG_42821.jpg

IMG_42831.jpg

Look Inside of the Drawings:

IMG_42841.jpg IMG_42851.jpg

IMG_42861.jpg IMG_42871.jpg

IMG_42881.jpg IMG_42891.jpg

IMG_42891.jpg

On the web-page of ancre beautiful section model built by M. Mallet Hubert is shown (Remark and Edit after posting: This model is based on a different monograph - please read the follwing two posts - my mistake)

monographie-de-l-aurore-corvette-1766 (1).jpg

monographie-de-l-aurore-corvette-1766 (3).jpg

For more please use the link to ancre

Very interesting the page showing the original model in the Bibliothek Sainte Genevieve:

aurore2.jpg

Also interesting the photos of the model construction by B. Rimlinger:

Last edited:
I would like to comment that the aft section model done by Hubert Malett appears to be for the "negrier" Aurore and not for the much smaller corvette Aurore.
For some reason Ancre hasn't realised that mistake for quite a while :D

I would like to comment that the aft section model done by Hubert Malett appears to be for the "negrier" Aurore and not for the much smaller corvette Aurore.
For some reason Ancre hasn't realised that mistake for quite a while :D
You are absolutely correct - It is a model of the L'AURORE - navire négrier - 1784

excerpt taken from the ancre page
monographie-de-l-aurore-navire-negrier-1784.jpg

In the meantime also the english version for the Aurore was published by ancre

MONOGRAPHIE DE L'AURORE - Corvette -1766​

PLEASURE CORVETTE L'AURORE By Nicolas Ozanne 1766-1777
MONOGRAPH with sixteen plates at 1:36 scale and one at 1:48 scale

Author : Gérard DELACROIX
Translated by Anthony Klouda

when you have already the french version, you can order only the booklet in english language
Also the drawings are now available in scale 1:24

I received just before Christmas my english copy from Didier Berti

IMG_2049a1.jpg

IMG_2051a1.jpg IMG_2052a1.jpg

IMG_2052a1.jpg IMG_2053a1.jpg

IMG_2055a1.jpg IMG_2056a1.jpg

IMG_2057a1.jpg IMG_2058a1.jpg

IMG_2059a1.jpg IMG_2060a1.jpg

IMG_2061a1.jpg IMG_2062a1.jpg

IMG_2063a1.jpg IMG_2064a1.jpg

IMG_2065a1.jpg IMG_2066a1.jpg

IMG_2067a1.jpg

IMG_2068a1.jpg

The original model was taken off display last year to be restored ... I am wondering if Gerard will be able to re-examine the model and perhaps reissue the plans with updated interior details and maybe a framing plan...

Last edited:
The original model was taken off display last year to be renovated... I am wondering if Gerard will be able to re-examine the model and perhaps reissue the plans with updated interior details and maybe a framing plan...
Many Thanks for the information - I am looking forward
We will see, if the model is really completely restaurated or mainly "only" cleaned - which is definitely necessary

Just found a series of detailed photos on wikipedia, which are very interesting for everybody building this ship

Model_of_Aurore-BSG_218-IMG_6739.JPG

Model_of_Aurore-BSG_218-IMG_6789.JPG

a beautiful model, covered with 1cm of dust - looks like snow

Model_of_Aurore-BSG_218-IMG_6767.JPG

Model_of_Aurore-BSG_218-IMG_6772.JPG

Here are the overview of the photos (screen shot)

Screenshot 2023-01-20 103501.png
Screenshot 2023-01-20 103522.png
Screenshot 2023-01-20 103543.png
Screenshot 2023-01-20 103603.png

and just found a page of a restauration company showing this model Before and After cleaning

aurore10.jpg

aurore5.jpg

Screenshot 2023-01-20 104314.png

Screenshot 2023-01-20 104335.png

Screenshot 2023-01-20 104351.png

I ran across the following photo on Pinterest, and was completely enamored of the model and ship.
1704992255076.png
A couple day's search has led me here, as I think that the photo is of German or Russian model of the Corvette L'Aurore, covered by the Monograph being reviewed here. I am tempted to scratch build this model in 1/36 scale, as the result will only be 88cm long and I love the detail, deck furniture in particular. I don't think this is within my capabilities, however, and I so wish one of the Chinese companies would make a kit of this model. Considering buying the Monograph just to lust over.

Does there exist a similar design in (good) kit form, that is, a larger scale yet with MANY deck details in the sub-meter size range?

I ran across the following photo on Pinterest, and was completely enamored of the model and ship.
View attachment 420554
A couple day's search has led me here, as I think that the photo is of German or Russian model of the Corvette L'Aurore, covered by the Monograph being reviewed here. I am tempted to scratch build this model in 1/36 scale, as the result will only be 88cm long and I love the detail, deck furniture in particular. I don't think this is within my capabilities, however, and I so wish one of the Chinese companies would make a kit of this model. Considering buying the Monograph just to lust over.

Does there exist a similar design in (good) kit form, that is, a larger scale yet with MANY deck details in the sub-meter size range?
I found the model you are showing - some more photos via the link

L AURORE Expeditionsschiff
built by Ch. Belser
L=90, H=75, B=37 cm

Ah, yes, thank you! I was able to find that once, but didn't save the page and couldn't get back to it. Such a beautiful ship and model. If only someone had a quality kit available for it.

Since no kit of this is available, for about half a minute I considered scratch building it. But looking at the plans and book posted, it doesn't seem that there are any framing details. Is that the case? I don't think I'd want to take the time to scratch build without framing details.

Since no kit of this is available, for about half a minute I considered scratch building it. But looking at the plans and book posted, it doesn't seem that there are any framing details. Is that the case? I don't think I'd want to take the time to scratch build without framing details.
The single Frames are not shown in the drawings, so for a POF model it will be hard to design by yourself,
but the line drawings are available, so you can make a POB - hull.....

Back