La Belle 1/36 - Plan by Jean Boudriot / myself

Hallo Oliver,
very clean and accurate work - this part of the modeling a ship is one of the most satisfying one´s.
To see that the wooden parts are forming a ships hull. Many thanks for sharing with us.

Thank you Uwe. Yeah, a lot of people have laughed because the preparation time for my build was ernormously. The little La Belle with her 29 Frame, imagine a Saint Phillipe, Fleuron or my Babe, the Bonhomme Richard, wth 60 or more frames.
I think every quality needs their time.
And I am sure, that you and everybody else can see the difference - Maybe modelers like you (and I am from the same type) need more time, when they make it really as accurate as possible. But if you take a close look you can see the time consuming work -> Do not change your style, take the necessary time, until you are really satisfied with your own work - and with more experience (after the second and third model) some works are getting faster (but no so much faster)
Keep on going Thumbs-Up Thumbs-Up Thumbs-Up

I will change nothing, i follow my way. I think the results explains all.
Interesting that the persons with the loudest negative voce, are furthest away from this kind of modelmaking.
A professional, is a professional, is a professional.... In what he do, what he think, and what he speak (or don´t speak). However....
Would be interesting to build a second La Belle to see how much time i need for the new one. I think 50 % faster.
Every next model will has his own details und challenges. And it´s is bigger. The benefit in time, that you win with your better skill, you loose with the
complexity of the new project. But i hink the result will be better. A lot of things i will do different next time.

Excellent work Oliver Thumbsup.You will see the benefit of all your hard work as proportionally the short amount of time to assemble the frame compared to the preparation is massive.
I feel that whilst you do speed up with experience you can only get so much faster before quality suffers.Indeed the more experience you get,the more complex a project you undertake and the higher your standards.Whilst I am mindful to try and work efficiently,too much emphasis on how long things take and it all becomes too much like the day job and no longer a hobby.
I would much rather spend 15 years building a model that is to the best of my ability and then some then five years building the same model in 5 years and never be truly satisfied with the end result.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Fantastic progress Oliver,I had a feeling things would start to go together like a jigsaw with all the preparation sorted.From what I can tell from the pics,you won't have masses of sanding inside or out to finally fair the frames either:)

Kind Regards

Nigel

Thank you very much Nigel . The good and long preparation brings the benefit now. Its always risky to sand the conture too much in this early step. I followed the drawings and i have minimum material to sand the final shape. The transition to the rabbet on the stern for example.

Back