La Belle 1684 - Caf Model 1:48 by Gennaro [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hello everybody, built few things recently: rudder/tiller, mizzen mast step and ship's stove. What went wrong? Dyslexia kicked in and now my stove is the mirror image of the intended one - it's supposed to go on the starboard side. Since nothing goes on the port side, that's where my stove will go. Also, grates look bit out of scale. Another thing regarding stove. What's missing? POT! Well, it's gonna be "No soup for you! Come back one year!"

Here are few pictures. Thanks for stopping by, all the likes and comments. Much appreciated. Take care fellas.

View attachment 232446
View attachment 232447
View attachment 232448
View attachment 232449
View attachment 232450
Looking great Gennaro!

Your La Belle is looking very good - I like your stove very much - so you will get a soup today !!!
Nope, no pot - no soup. Actually, I bought a small pot, but it's too big for the stove. Here it is filled with some bucatini!

IMG_0348.JPG

I have to admit, these small pots from doll houses, plus my admiration for all these miniatures that you guys build (curtains, beddings, tiny doors, tiny painted sculptures etc), started to develop my feminine side - not that there is anything wrong with it! :) Thanks.

Hello everybody, spent some time building the bowsprit step and associated riding bits. Non-trivial task - so many angles that have to be just right. I am happy to report that I won't have to drill the hole through Marie Angélique's head in order install the bowsprit! :) What's missing? Sheaves in riding bitts. I noticed that as soon as I took pictures. Good news - riding bitts are dry-fitted. Bad news, tried to fix it in a hurry and ruined them.:( Thanks for stopping by, all the likes/loves and comments. Happy Sunday!

IMG_0349.JPG
IMG_0350.JPG
IMG_0351.JPG

Hello everybody! Spent some time working on the head (not mine, ship's, although check up from the neck up wouldn't hurt). It was fun and surprisingly not that difficult for the results I managed to achieve. Mr. binnacle has been built as well. That completes all the deck furnishings. Figurehead is just gorgeous - thank you CAF! Here are few photos of the current state of the model. Thanks for stopping by, all the likes and comments. Much appreciated.

IMG_0362.JPG
IMG_0363.JPG
IMG_0366.JPG
IMG_0367.JPG

Hello everybody! Spent some time working on the head (not mine, ship's, although check up from the neck up wouldn't hurt). It was fun and surprisingly not that difficult for the results I managed to achieve. Mr. binnacle has been built as well. That completes all the deck furnishings. Figurehead is just gorgeous - thank you CAF! Here are few photos of the current state of the model. Thanks for stopping by, all the likes and comments. Much appreciated.

View attachment 237246
View attachment 237247
View attachment 237248
View attachment 237249
Ship is looking great! The figurehead is beautiful!
I would be tempted to put a light or medium stain on the figurehead, then hit it with some steel wool on the higher surfaces to bring out the detail more.

Ship is looking great! The figurehead is beautiful!
I would be tempted to put a light or medium stain on the figurehead, then hit it with some steel wool on the higher surfaces to bring out the detail more.
Thanks Dean. That's precisely what I intend to do before I permanently place the figurehead. Castello is my favourite wood, bit pale in color.

Hi Gennaro!

These are beautiful results! I know that it is not easy to get such well shaped knees and anchor pads. The real La Belle probably never looked this clean and beautiful! She lives up to her name.

Modeller greetings
Thomas
Thank you Tomas. Your work on La Belle has been an inspiration.

Happy Saturday, fellow modellers! Many, many thanks for your valuable comments and all the likes. Much appreciated.

Spent last couple of weeks finishing La Belle's forecastle or rather crawl space. How did poor cook manage to fix something to eat under it? There are several mistakes here. For some reason I believed that catheads were bolted to beams and then planked around. Wrong in this case! At this point there was nothing I could do. Instead of installing the catheads on beams, I milled the inner side so they sit on planks. Mental note - study plans! Also, there were supposed to be 5 cleats on each side of the bowsprit and in smaller size. I managed to install three - no clew lines, I suppose. But, that's life. Anyway, here are few pics of the progress:

IMG_0373.JPG

IMG_0374.JPG

IMG_0376.JPG

IMG_0377.JPG

IMG_0378.JPG

IMG_0379.JPG

She is looking very good - very good work.
The catheads are producing lifting forces towards the part over the planking, so they would be secured with bolts through the planking and the beams under the planks, so I think maybe because of this there is no direct contact between the cathead and the beams necessary..... just a thought.

I just checked the Boudriot drawings (from my Planset review) and here you can see the location of the bolts directly at the end and at the buckling
Unbenannt.JPG

Back