La Belle 1684 - Caf Model 1:48 by Gennaro [COMPLETED BUILD]

Lot of work - not much to show. Gunport lids with associated hardware have been installed, ladder, channel with interesting feature - seat of ease!? Must have been fun going overboard in rough seas. Many thanks for all the likes and comments.

IMG_0390.JPG

Wow Gennaro! Each time I am simply blown away by the colors that you achieved on her. Add to that the overall cleanliness and superb execution of the build and you have a model that you can be very proud of. Well done! Thumbsup First Place Metal

Thank you gentlemen for your interest and kind words. Much appreciated and encouraging. Regarding color scheme, well, it was not planned. It's the result of my color blindness and laziness (to order more cherry in appropriate thickness). Frankly, I dislike cherry wood. Having a thickness sander, the first thought was to mill leftover boxwood from my previous build (Oliver Cromwell from dlumberyard - Dave provided enough boxwood to frame two Cromwell's). Ran the first board through it - poof, sander stopped. I thought I burned the motor and gave up that idea. Stupidity sometimes pays off - few months later, after La Belle was framed, I checked the bloody sander and noticed a small button (safety switch!), pushed it and guess what - it works. That's the story behind unintended color scheme. I was relieved yesterday regarding rigging. My wife, who has no interest in ship modelling, for some reason fell in love with this one - she wants it on fireplace mantle. Main yard on La Belle is 9" in scale. Fireplace mantle is 6". There we go. Started to contemplate new project. Thanks so much again.

Hello everybody! I made something that I'm not sure what it's called - neither quarter galleries, nor quarter badge. Stern decorations, I guess. Although CAF provided these carvings, I decided to build my own, since CAF's wood is much paler in color than castello that I already used. Didn't go without spilling blood. Those microchisels are sharp bastards, one slip and there you go. Many thanks for all the likes, loves and comments. Here are couple of pics:

IMG_0401.JPG
IMG_0403.JPG

Hello everybody! I made something that I'm not sure what it's called - neither quarter galleries, nor quarter badge. Stern decorations, I guess. Although CAF provided these carvings, I decided to build my own, since CAF's wood is much paler in color than castello that I already used. Didn't go without spilling blood. Those microchisels are sharp bastards, one slip and there you go. Many thanks for all the likes, loves and comments. Here are couple of pics:

View attachment 247164
View attachment 247165
it's looks very beautiful work and result!
By the way, I would be happy to refer you to an international website from which you can purchase good micro chisels similar to the ones you use.
thank you very much

it's looks very beautiful work and result!
By the way, I would be happy to refer you to an international website from which you can purchase good micro chisels similar to the ones you use.
thank you very much
Thank you shota for your kind words. I would appreciate it very much if you posted the link, here or elsewhere, wherever you find it appropriate. I'm sure, many modellers would benefit from it.

Love your carving endeavor, Mon Amie! I didn't see what CAF suggested as the timber, but this Castello plays really nice with the black color across the entire Stern, and you made a great job presenting!

My personal magic trio: Pearwood, Boxwood\Castello, and Ebony\Black Hornbeam.

Love your carving endeavor, Mon Amie! I didn't see what CAF suggested as the timber, but this Castello plays really nice with the black color across the entire Stern, and you made a great job presenting!

My personal magic trio: Pearwood, Boxwood\Castello, and Ebony\Black Hornbeam.
Jim,
Kit was sold as "boxwood" vs earlier pear carvings. They did really nice job, you can see them on Thomas' La Belle. Love the trio! Duo (Castello and Black Hornbeam) are on the way!

View attachment 247164
View attachment 247165
Beautiful, I love the scrolls! Had a few of those on my first ship, on the railings. Always a nice touch IMO. And now you have the support of your Admiral! ;)

Back