La Belle 1684 - Caf Model 1:48 by Gennaro [COMPLETED BUILD]

Very good idea to mill the 9mm hole ! I think your both are right with sanding on the milling machine.
But I think the forces are too high to sanding on the sweet little MF 70.
The Scheppach Spindelsander costs 130 Euros here in Europe. Its better to invest than kill the MF.
Finaly you will buy both. A new MF and a Spindelsander. If you have a little fine exact tool, don´t use it for rough works !
...only my opinion.
But one thing. I dont want to kill your entusiasm because entusiasm is force, but the notches on one side of the beam are different.
For now, not a problem, but keep it in you eyes for future projects.

View attachment 194657
Many thanks everybody for kind, encouraging words and all the likes.
You are absolutely right, Oliver. Notches on the fore part of the beams are not cut right through. Since I don't have small enough chisels (my smallest one is 16" - 1.6mm), I decided to cut yet another corner. I simply inserted a strip of wood of the same thickness as the depth of the notch, cut it off and sanded flush. Far from correct, but it will do. Mast partner will definitely have to be redone. What one sees in these closeups is phenomenal. Many thanks for your interest and advice.

Carlings.jpg

I was there Admin before the crash :D - so you missed me, or?
Ah! For quite some time over there, I wondered where all these good people went - Uwe, Zoltan, Janos, Neptune to name just a few. I did not pay much attention to "piracy" issue, but one good thing came out of it - once he started badmouthing SOS, I decided to see for myself (never heard of SOS before). And here I am happy to stay. I was a member over there for about 13-14 years, since 1.0. In all those years I posted three times - photo etched hooks, condolences to Dan Vadas' family and question about pear wood/fittings from ZHL, for which I got banned. I found the whole place too intimidating. On SOS I got different problem - started to post too much ;) Thanks everybody and happy modelling!

Here is the deck status at this point, dry fit. Tricky business - had to redo half the beams. In the end I am pleased with the end result, might need slight adjustments. Next on to ledges/half-beams and pesky hanging knees. Thanks for all your comments, likes and interest. Happy modelling!

IMG_0215.JPG
IMG_0216.JPG
img_0217-jpg.197150

Attachments

• IMG_0217.JPG
    IMG_0217.JPG
    187.5 KB · Views: 155
Good evening! Managed to install wales, without too much trouble. Hull is now much sturdier. Now I have to decide what to do next: planking first, then deck beams or vice versa. I'm more inclined to tackle deck first. We'll see. Here are few pictures of the current state of the model. Thanks for all the comments and likes.

View attachment 191720

View attachment 191721

View attachment 191722

View attachment 191723
Great photos of frame with light shining thru, almost like a full moon when in dry docks being built.

I see your work table is like mine, with a few extra scratch marks in top. Finally bought a cutting mat which helped out.

I really know that by first hand :)
The hobby imitates real life with sea disasters coming when least expected. I have heard more ships were lost in calm seas than in storms, mainly because when facing storms the ships master have the ship battened down the best they can. Its things like open gun hatches when healing over a ship that has sunk many!

The hobby imitates real life with sea disasters coming when least expected. I have heard more ships were lost in calm seas than in storms, mainly because when facing storms the ships master have the ship battened down the best they can. Its things like open gun hatches when healing over a ship that has sunk many!
This reminded me of Wasa story. Didn't she sink just outside the port of Stockholm in calm seas with gun port lids open? Thanks for you kind words, Kurt.

Are beams, carlings, ledges with all the notches cnc routered in Alert kit? Thanks for your interest.
With the decision to deck or plank the hull (Bluenose POB) I started out deck first and then realized that with my clamp on the POB I had to leave some of the center area open to clamp the inverted hull. Now that I am finishing the hull I can again rotate it to complete the deck. Your work is very precise and looking good as many of us have observed. Rich (PT-2)

Wow! It must have been a computer program to nest some of those parts so tightly saving wood but possibly more complex for your cut-out removal. Rich (PT-2)
I am positive you are correct, Rich. You just give the size of the part\s, the dimension of the board, and magic...happened. Despite the tight fit, it is not too hard removing them with sharp blade. I have a video in my build log of Alert showing the cut-out process. :)

It's just a Newfoundland expression - "Not too bad" - meaning "alright, good". Not fishing for complements here :) Knowing your work, Bluenose will be a master piece! Thanks for your interest.
In Southern Germany, especially in Swabia, where I live, they say, not scolded is praised enough. But that cannot be said with you, because your work is simply too good.

Back