La Belle - Caf Model 1:48 by Thomas Marocke [COMPLETED BUILD]

Thanks for the likes and comments!

The "La Belle" is not ready yet.

PB130607.JPG
It still needs a worthy präsentation stand. The assembly stand of the kit is too simple.

PB130608.JPG
Three holders of 8 mm pear wood were made. In the progress, I discovered that I absolutely need new wood files. Laser-cut components are easier to work on, since only the char must be removed.The middle support lies exactly under the three-part middle frame and protect the model against tipping over.

PB130609.JPG
Now I have to assemble all components and paint the presentation board colorless, so that the beautiful wood grains look better.

All a nice weekend
Thomas

PB140610.JPG
The presentation board is ready assembled and painted. First a primer with a model building brush. Then a light intermediate sanding with 240 sandpaper in wood fiber direction. Now a colorless varnish with the brush. Again an intermediate sanding with sandpaper. And finally some varnish atomizations with varnish with the airbrush from 20 centimeters distance.

PB140611.JPG
The beautiful wood grain comes out well.

PB140612.JPG
So clean und seamless I can rarely paint only with a brush.

Best regards
Thomas

The rigging of the starboard anchor.

SANY1496.JPG
Rope guide for lighter anchors. . .

SANY1495.JPG
. . . and the implementation on the model with hooked block with double sheave for the tackle.

SANY1497.JPG
The guidance of the rope on the windlass.

Following pictures show the production of a double sheave with hooks, as any modeler can easily make them yourself.

SANY1491.JPG
5 mm double sheave from Dry-Dock Models & Parts and a piece of 0,4 mm blackened brass wire.

SANY1492.JPGThe wire is bent around the double sheave.

SANY1493.JPG
The wire ends are soft soldered, bent into a hook and then filed into shape with needle files.

SANY1494.JPG
After chemical blackening it looks like this. Really any modeler with a little patience can recreate this.

Best regards
Thomas

Last edited:
Hi Dubz!

I was guided by the "Ancre" monograph.

1637062365174.png
Image from the website of Bernard Frölich.

In the book "Anatomy of the ship", Alert, Peter Goodwin, Page 39, picture below you can see the course of the anchor cable as you describe it.

SANY1498.JPGSince everything is loosely mounted, a change is possible at any time.

Thank you for the hint!

Best regards
Thomas

Now you produced a new error .. sorry for the hazzle ... cable must come in and go out from above.

98f23f094cbef32924d62ded457c1f53.jpg

cheers!

The rigging of the starboard anchor.

View attachment 269765
Rope guide for lighter anchors. . .

View attachment 269768
. . . and the implementation on the model with hooked block with double sheave for the tackle.

View attachment 269769
The guidance of the rope on the windlass.

Following pictures show the production of a double sheave with hooks, as any modeler can easily make them yourself.

View attachment 269760
5 mm double sheave from Dry-Dock Models & Parts and a piece of 0,4 mm blackened brass wire.

View attachment 269761The wire is bent around the double sheave.

View attachment 269762
The wire ends are soft soldered, bent into a hook and then filed into shape with needle files.

View attachment 269763
After chemical blackening it looks like this. Really any modeler with a little patience can recreate this.

Best regards
Thomas
There must be some hook making school in Germany. Outstanding work Thomas!

There must be some hook making school in Germany. Outstanding work Thomas!
Oh Ja - when we take a look at the metal works from @archjofo or also Thomas here - very good quality Thumbsup
I hope to learn a little bit from them next March in Augsburg, when I meet them

Now you produced a new error .. sorry for the hazzle ... cable must come in and go out from above.
The sktech shown is I think printed in Rödings book - I realized, that we can not find so much information about horizontal windlass in the web, so we have to check here printed publications ..... at it seems that you are right with the revised order of the cable around the drum (in and out above) - many Thanks for showing us this detail

Hi HMS Terror, thanks for the hint!

SANY1502.JPG
First I can't find any clues, then I do. Source: Anatomy of the ship, Endeavour, Karl Heinz Marquardt, Page 74. Now the anchor cable is mounted correctly.

SANY1500.JPG
Hopefully no carpenter falls over the cordage.

SANY1501.JPG
The rest of the rigging of the anchor!

Gennaro, just try it once, it certainly works out with the hook making!

Uwe, I am also looking forward to Augsburg 2022. Finally once the ship models and their builders live to see! :)

Best regards
Thomas

PB220614.JPG
Now all construction drawings are searched for eyebolts, round and triangular rings and missing fasteners are drawn in addition.

PB220613.JPGThe kit contained four triangular rings (above in plastic bag). But as soon as I start, I make all the rings myself. In the case of round rings, the wire is wound on a corresponding drill and cut open with the side cutter. After completion of the eye screws and rings, the openings are bent shut, soft soldered and the components blackened.

Best regards
Thomas

Back