La Belle - Caf Model 1:48 by Thomas Marocke [COMPLETED BUILD]

The attempt to make the nameplate by transferring print began.

View attachment 272993
1. Attempt by transfer by means of acrylic varnish with various drying times and abrasion techniques of the printer paper by toothbrush and fingers.
2. Toner transfer from paper with Mod Podge, abrasion of the paper with water and fingers after 12 hours drying time.

View attachment 272994
3. Experiment on a test nameplate. Do to the border of the name plate, the transfer did not succeed well.

View attachment 272995
After sanding the border to get a smooth surface the transfer succeeded. Only the clear varnish with the brush is not good and belongs spray painted.

The tests with the collected experience will be done on the model in the next few days.

I wish all a nice weekend.
Thomas
well done Thumbsup:)

Some work is so interesting that you hardly take a break. So it goes me with the ship name.

SANY1540.JPG
So that it rests within the raised border on a smooth bottom it was reduced, from 1 mm to 0,9 mm font height.

SANY1541.JPG
Result after 12 hours drying and removing the paper.

SANY1543.JPG
Airbrush painting with fine primer and final varnish. Above the test name plate with larger font, without border and below the smaller version with border.

SANY1544.JPG
And the finished nameplate. More beautiful than the paper plate. Thanks Maarten! :)

Best regards
Thomas

Last edited:
Installation of the cannon mounts with hooks and rings.

SANY1561.JPG
Original finding of the mountings of the "La Belle".

SANY1562.JPG
The drilling depth for the mounts was set on the ship's side.

SANY1563.JPG
Drilling was done slowly with the hand drill. The hand drill fit exactly between the two ship walls.

SANY1568.JPG
Mounted hooks and rings.

PC150617.JPG
And with a gun.

PC150616.JPG

Best regards
Thomas

Good idea with the limited depth of the drill inside the handvise - no drill trhough the wall possible !!!
If you want to tackle the guns, I would wait with the final fixation of the ringbolts at the wall. You should prepare the guntackle at the gun completely, and when everything is finished I would mount the gun with tackle and fix the ringbolts at the wall.....

BTW: your work is looking very good Thumbsup

To complete the starboard side are still missing the deadeye chain plates.

SANY1571.JPG
Delivered components with too many holes in inappropiate places.

SANY1572.JPGThe brackets for the deadeyes were delivered twice: once in etched and once in cast (great service!).

SANY1573.JPG
Experiments with both versions.

SANY1574.JPG
Original finds of the La Belle. Source: "From a watery grave", page 67.

SANY1575.JPG
The chain plates are remade using an office paper cutter.

SANY1576.JPG
The width of the chain plates of 1,3 mm is set with the preset caliper gauge.

SANY1577.JPG
The first bent chain plates.

SANY1578.JPG
A ring is attached to the upper end of the chain plate and later soldered in place. The deadeye with its holder remains freely movable.

Best regards
Thomas

The knife of the paper cutter is very good steel and is designed for lifetime use. I only cut 0,3 mm brass sheet and in small quantities. The knife has withstood this for several years. These paper cutters are also available with cutting knives as a roll. There are inexpensive replacement cutter rolls.

SANY1579.JPG
Inexpensive alternatives, but not as accurate are "carpet knive" and steel ruler and scissors.

I had a colleague who cut off part of his finger with the knife when slipping off the ruler. Therefore, I am very careful with scalpels and carpet knives.

SANY1580.JPG
Above 0,3 mm I process brass sheets with the fretsaw with metal saw blade to protect the cutting tools.

Best regards
Thomas

Last edited:
Il coltello del tagliacarte è in acciaio molto buono ed è progettato per un uso a vita. Taglio solo lamiere di ottone da 0,3 mm e in piccole quantità. Il coltello ha resistito per diversi anni. Questi tagliacarte sono disponibili anche con coltelli da taglio come rotolo. Ci sono rulli taglierina di ricambio economici.

View attachment 283550
Alternative economiche, ma non così accurate sono "coltello da moquette" e righello e forbici d'acciaio.

View attachment 283551
Oltre 0,3 mm elaboro lamiere di ottone con il seghetto da traforo con lama per sega metallica a protezione degli utensili da taglio.

Distinti saluti
Tommaso
Questa è la cesoia per tagli piccoli che ho...

Attachments

• DSC00232.jpg
    DSC00232.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 11
The processing of the chain plates.

P1210661.JPG
The exact holes on the narrow chain plates were only possible under a magnifying glass.

P1210662.JPG
I have only two hands. That is why soldered like this. Blackened components do not accept solder. That is why the bandage of the deadeye is already burnished.

SANY1585.JPG
The back of the chaine plate was made bright again, so that the glue holds properly.

SANY1586.JPG
Chain plate glued with epoxy resin, fixed with pins to dry well for twelve hours.

SANY1589.JPG
Et voilà, nailed and cleaned all around.

P1220664.JPG
View with assembly aid.

P1220667.JPG
Control by a sailor.

A nice weekend to all
Thomas

Attachments

• P1220665.JPG
    P1220665.JPG
    225.1 KB · Views: 4
The processing of the chain plates.

View attachment 284904
The exact holes on the narrow chain plates were only possible under a magnifying glass.

View attachment 284905
I have only two hands. That is why soldered like this. Blackened components do not accept solder. That is why the bandage of the deadeye is already burnished.

View attachment 284906
The back of the chaine plate was made bright again, so that the glue holds properly.

View attachment 284907
Chain plate glued with epoxy resin, fixed with pins to dry well for twelve hours.

View attachment 284908
Et voilà, nailed and cleaned all around.

View attachment 284901
View with assembly aid.

View attachment 284903
Control by a sailor.

A nice weekend to all
Thomas
Dear Thomas, you are doing wonderful metal works. well done Thumbsup:)

Back