La Belle - Caf Model 1:48 by Thomas Marocke [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hi János!

The entire interior planking is made of pear. Pear has differences in colour, which become more even over the years and a "small grain". Sometimes it is more pronounced.

SANY0799.JPG
Different wood grains in pear.

The model maker would like a small scale grain. Therefore, if the scale is smaller than 1:48, I would only choose planks with the smallest grain. On the deck are only planks with barely visible grain.

With best regards
Thomas

Functional door can als be removed.

SANY0802.JPG
Parts prepared for soft soldering. Some of these small parts disappeared forever during processing because they fell off the workbench.

SANY0805.JPG
The soft soldered parts were to wobbly for me and so I prepared the hinges for hard soldering.

SANY0806.JPG

SANY0807.JPG

SANY0808.JPG
Left soft soldered, right hard soldered.

SANY0810.JPG
A very small gas burner is sufficient for hard soldering.

SANY0811.JPG
Measuring wood left of the door to mark the drillings.

SANY0816.JPG
Parts of the lock, glued on for drilling.

SANY0817.JPG
Parts of the door bolts with fixing pins, ready for hard soldering.

SANY0818.JPG
Burnished.

SANY0822.JPG

SANY0823.JPG

SANY0824.JPG

The door is ready and I am happy like a little child in the dirt.

With best regards
Thomas

Fantastic door Thomas, love it.
See you use the same flux from Regner as I do, works great.
For my silver soldering I use a very small creme brulee burner more then powerfull enough for the work we do. For soft soldering a small weller pyropen, this is a very small gas soldering pen. Works excellent for the very small components.

The door was oiled and the cabin furnished so that the ladies' visit can be a little more cultivated.

SANY0827.JPG
Cabinet, chart table, stair step and auxiliary woods on the starboard side.

SANY0825.JPG
Dry mounting.

SANY0829.JPG
And completely installed.

SANY0828.JPG
Side wall of the bed and spacer for the support surface of the bed. There are no floor or wall planks on the port side. Therefore, auxiliary planks were installed below and aft.

SANY0830.JPG
Mounted wall and supports for the bed base.

SANY0832.JPG
Bed bottom and back panel inserted.

SANY0835.JPG
The bed linen is still missing, but a tired sailor was already allowed to try sleeping. At sea he certainly did not have it so comfortable and dry.

P9160309.JPG

P9160310.JPG

P9160311.JPG

One question still haunts me. Who was allowed to sleep in the bed, the captain or the expedition leader Cavelier de La Salle?

With best regards
Thomas

Last edited:
Hi Daniel!

The CAF kit is a nice, solid, but simple kit for the entry into POF model making. The exact production of the cabin furniture can not be done by one manufacturer. The frames can differ during assembly etc. In the CAF kit the cabin is simply closed with the roof and is not visible.

With best regards
Thomas

Thank you !!!

Please, let us know what have you built from scratch that wasn't in the kit. Like you answered now. It is very helpful for someone looking to buy a kit. At least it is helpful for me and I am assuming it will be for others. I am not referring to the magnificent job you did with the hinges. Those details aren't in most kit. But this so well done cabin could be was part of the kit and now you clarify that it isn't.

Again....THANK YOU !!!! your answer helps me to decide.

Continue with this soooo well done job and teaching/showing us how you did it.

Best !!
Daniel

Back