Sail & Sail Model - New Kit Belle Poule 1780 - 1:72 scale by Sail and Sail

Very good results for such a scale!!! Bravo! But I do have a question: is there any reason for such an unusual 'eyebolt' assembly? I mean two ringbolts, clinched together...
This one bitts are directly under the small capstan at the forecastle mounted on the gun deck - and Jean Boudriot is showing this one with the double rings.
So I guess they were necessary to lead a rope - maybe for the anchor lifting process and where the messenger cable was secured
Unbenannt.JPG

Unbenannt2.JPG Unbenannt3.JPG

It is shown in John Harlands book "seamanship in the age of sail" on page 264 (but I have no photo of this page here)

But is also shown in Boudriot´s 74 gun ship Volume 4
IMG_18081.jpg

The seventy-four gun ship, Vol. 2, Plate XXIV, stopper bolts (number 52)

Boudriot writes on page 60 as an explanation for number 52: Riding-bitts - the standards are made up in two pieces joined by three ringbolts, to which iron stopper-rings are linked; the stoppers are made fast to these when the anchor-cables are brought home.

Best regards
Thomas

This one bitts are directly under the small capstan at the forecastle mounted on the gun deck - and Jean Boudriot is showing this one with the double rings.
So I guess they were necessary to lead a rope - maybe for the anchor lifting process and where the messenger cable was secured
It mostly makes sense if those double-rings used for the messenger cable thought. Live and learn!!! Many thanks, Uwe!

Hi SAIL AND SAIL!

You have thankfully recovered from the fatigue of your eyes while building cannons.

It is a pleasure to watch this elegant frigate being built. If it becomes a kit, it should be the first one where you can follow the manufacturing process. At the moment you can see the laser marks for the upper deck beams and the openings on the rail for the extended frames (timberheads). Everything is well thought out.

It is a very nice piece of work.

Best regards
Thomas

Last edited:
Hi SAIL AND SAIL!

You have thankfully recovered from the fatigue of your eyes while building cannons.

It is a pleasure to watch this elegant frigate being built. If it becomes a kit, it should be the first one where you can follow the manufacturing process. At the moment you can see the laser marks for the upper deck beams and the openings on the rail for the extended frames. Everything is well thought out.

It is a very nice piece of work.

Best regards
Thomas

Hi Thomas,
Thank you for your very professional comment.
I made some concessions, not to design too complex beam structure.
You will see the simplified structure few days later. Maybe it's a great regret.
Best Regards

Back