Sail & Sail Model - New Kit Belle Poule 1780 - 1:72 scale by Sail and Sail

I've been working on this model for a while. La Belle Poule in scale 1/72 shows a lovely size. This model is designed in a new way. I split the hull into two parts: Traditional Lower Hull and Pear Wood Upper Hull.

The Upper Hull is capable to show the structure of the ship. The Lower Hull is precisely designed for single planking with well-unfolded Lasercut parts and marked skeleton.

I use pear wood to build the ship and it looks nice. Then I made mistakes while painting the model. Now the ship looks quite ancient and dirty. I like the texture before she was painted.

I am in a hurry so the model looks bad. Though the work haven't done yet, I can't wait to share the photos with all of you. I will post more details and progress in the following days.

Merry Christmas and happy New Year to everyone.
View attachment 200976
View attachment 200974View attachment 200975View attachment 200977View attachment 200978View attachment 200979View attachment 200980View attachment 200981View attachment 200982View attachment 200983View attachment 200984View attachment 200985View attachment 200986View attachment 200987View attachment 200988View attachment 200989View attachment 200990View attachment 200991
Interesting concept.

Jimmy I am just a shy old man I think I showed my le requin pix some time ago. Not much for building reports , but love what your all are doing
Happy new year to all
...the age is not how many years you live, it is how your soul feels. You can start the build log if you are building now... Happy New Year!!

The design work is not finished yet. There are some fittings need to draw, and 3D previews may miss some details.
It's not my design mistake if you find something weird in the photos. I made some compromises for building. Model in 1/36 or 1/48 scale is better to show the real structure.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg11.jpg

Last edited:
Ithink your build is most interesting. Why not make her in 1:48 or 1:36? I agree with you that you would be able to show far more detail.

P1010047.JPG
La Belle Poule und La Belle, both scale 1:48. Gun deck of the La Belle Poule = 88 cm.

P1010048.JPG
In contrast to the La Belle Poule, the cannons of the La Belle already looks like toys.

The La Belle Poule in 1:48 scale would already be a beautiful, but also large and heavy model, which like the original would already devour a lot of wood. I like the model and the construction method of SAIL AND SAIL very well.

Cheers New Year!
Thomas

View attachment 202783
La Belle Poule und La Belle, both scale 1:48. Gun deck of the La Belle Poule = 88 cm.

View attachment 202784
In contrast to the La Belle Poule, the cannons of the La Belle already looks like toys.

The La Belle Poule in 1:48 scale would already be a beautiful, but also large and heavy model, which like the original would already devour a lot of wood. I like the model and the construction method of SAIL AND SAIL very well.

Cheers New Year!
Thomas
I think French ships are relatively longer than British ships. Slenderer and Prettier:cool:ROTFROTF

GREAT KEEP IT COMING JUST LOVE NEW STUFF AND NEW WAYS OF BUILDING,. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE YOU AND YOURS DON
It’s not in a big scale so I didn’t add gap materials. So planks are not clear enough. I’m very hurry building this prototype. There are too many unsatisfactory stuffs bother me. I should build another model in the future. It should be neat, exquisite and beautiful. Anyway, I am very grateful that you keep watching this thread, thank you.

Hello Sail and Sail. Very good job! Here are my questions: Does the deck comes as a solid piece and imitate individual planning? Also, I can see the captain cabin also made out of plywood or?

Hi SAIL AND SAIL!

The deck is plywood with applied planking. The planking really comes into ist own only with ist final treatment with varnish or oil. The captain's cabin can be made more valuable with inlay work. But this also means a lot of work. The question is whether this work should be seen later.

You have sanded the ship's side lighter again. Aging comes with the years.

This model can be offered in a basic version and in an upgrade version. The model is very well done as you show it here. It is an exquisite model! Do not be too modest!

Best regards
Thomas

Hello Sail and Sail. Very good job! Here are my questions: Does the deck comes as a solid piece and imitate individual planning? Also, I can see the captain cabin also made out of plywood or?
1EB7622D-643D-49D0-B35F-6533B048A9EE.jpeg7D24AA4C-3B81-4DA9-BDD4-47EE4DA5D9C0.jpeg30EC89BD-CBB1-4AF6-994B-C02FECC7505E.jpeg

All deck parts are pear wood. No plywood can be seen.
Here is one thin piece of plywood as foundation. This plywood is precisely combined with framework. There are plank marks on its surface so all pear wood deck planks can be placed accurately.
1. I just glued the cabin first so you may misunderstand this pear cabin part as plywood.
2. All pear deck planks are individual laser cut and polished. They are glued on the foundation one by one.
3. You can see different layers here.

Back