La Candelaria OcCre 1:85 - First build

Hello SOS builders,

Now after I have gathered a huge load of information and inspiration from the fine build logs here on SOS it’s finally time to start my own first model.
I have chosen La Candelaria from OcCre which seems the right size and complexity for me to start with ( but it was hard to withstand buying one of the larger more complex models available, like for example the ZHL San Felipe )
Since there seems to be no other build log for this ship I will start one by myself and maybe it will be helpful for others also interested in this model.

Before I had even purchased the kit I already started making plans on how I could modify it. So I also purchased some 3 and 9 x 0.5 mm Teak strips which I will use for a custom deck planking pattern.

But at first it’s time to see what‘s actually in the box…

Box1.jpg

Box2.jpg

Additionally I made a draft picture in PhotoShop to test the colors I want to use, and this shows which colors I want to use on the model:

SideColorDraft.jpg

Finally some pictures of my first steps, not so much progress so far but at least building has started!
A small note: I was surprised that the bulkheads are sitting relatively loose inside the notches so I had to be careful while the wood glue dries to ensure a right angle.

Step1.jpg
Step2.jpg

Welcome aboard SOS, Thomas, and many thanks for starting a build log. I am taking a chair to watch the progress.

Willkommen Thomas hier bei SOS. Interessantes Schiff. Jim, wenn es dir nichts ausmacht, setze ich mich neben dich.

Welcome aboard Thomas, what a coincidence as of earlier this morning I have just ordered this same kit.
So I will be pulling up a chair to watch with anticipation of your build. ⚓⚓

Thank you for all your likes and comments!
The next step will be more interesting: planking the first small deck piece. The small lowered deck portion where the two mortars will be located.
Since I don't like the kit provided material for the deck planking I got some custom strips.The provided 5mm strips are slightly out of scale (they would be about 40cm wide in real world units). So I will use 3mm Teak strips for the deck planking and some 9mm strips for margin planks.

The first thing I did was drawing plans how the final planking should look like. I used the shapes of the related plywood pieces from the PDF instructions and used InkScape to draw the plans. This is the resulting plan for the small deck piece:
DeckPlan1.png

The plan contains 2 parts, the final planking layout at the bottom and an extra copy of the 4 margin plank pieces.
The next step was to cut out the 4 margin plank pieces and use them as a template to cut out the margin planks from the 9 x 0.5 mm Teak strips.

DeckTemplate1.jpg
Deck1Planks2.jpg
Deck1Planks1.jpg

Then I dry fitted everything on the paper template:

Deck1Planks3.jpg

And finally glued all pieces to the plywood sheet using contact glue:

Deck1Planks4.jpg

As you can see, there are some small gaps between some planks. I think I need some more practice in producing small tiny wood bits...
I'm planning to use wood glue mixed with graphite powder to fill those gaps and I am quite curious how that will turn out.

Now I'm moving on to the next deck small piece and get some practice!

first of all also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum
You made a good decision to build this model first, before you start with bigger ones, and we will try our best to assist you as much as possible
Until now a very good start, either your work and also the log - I will follow with big interest

Thank you for all the positive feedback! The atmosphere here on SOS is really nice and welcoming.
Not much time to work in the shipyard lately so only a small update this time. I am working on the deck of the forecastle and have been trying some methods to improve dry fitting the single pieces using painter’s tape but with no success. So I continue using my previous method.
The margin planks are nearly finished only a little fine tuning is left.
I will post more details when this part is completed.
Until then I wish you a merry Christmas!

AECB83E9-E97B-40EA-BE72-2946D4248C27.jpeg

From my side also a big welcome Thomas! You are off to a good start. About those small little gaps. Take some of the teak off-cuts and create some spare sawdust by sanding it down to a powder. Then you take normal white PVA glue which you smear into the gaps. Remember to wipe off all excess PVA glue with a wet cloth. Leave the glue for about 15 minutes (depending on how quickly it dries) so that it is tacky, but not yet dry. Then press the sawdust into the gaps using your finger or a scraper. Leave it for the glue and sawdust paste to dry properly and sand with a very fine sandpaper - 360 grit or even finer. Problem solved.

Welcome aboard SOS, Thomas, and good luck with your project :)Thumbsup
it's looks beautiful beginning

Hello SOS builders,

Now after I have gathered a huge load of information and inspiration from the fine build logs here on SOS it’s finally time to start my own first model.
I have chosen La Candelaria from OcCre which seems the right size and complexity for me to start with ( but it was hard to withstand buying one of the larger more complex models available, like for example the ZHL San Felipe )
Since there seems to be no other build log for this ship I will start one by myself and maybe it will be helpful for others also interested in this model.

Before I had even purchased the kit I already started making plans on how I could modify it. So I also purchased some 3 and 9 x 0.5 mm Teak strips which I will use for a custom deck planking pattern.

But at first it’s time to see what‘s actually in the box…

View attachment 276420

View attachment 276423

Additionally I made a draft picture in PhotoShop to test the colors I want to use, and this shows which colors I want to use on the model:

View attachment 276430

Finally some pictures of my first steps, not so much progress so far but at least building has started!
A small note: I was surprised that the bulkheads are sitting relatively loose inside the notches so I had to be careful while the wood glue dries to ensure a right angle.

View attachment 276432
View attachment 276433

Hi, Frank here from New Jersey, USA. That was a great idea about getting Teak for the decking. Can I ask where you purchased the Teak and what the cost was? I just purchased the same model, and it will be my next Task as soon as I am done with the Occre Beagle. So far, your work looks terrific for a first time. Please keep us posted on your progress.

Hi, Frank here from New Jersey, USA. That was a great idea about getting Teak for the decking. Can I ask where you purchased the Teak and what the cost was? I just purchased the same model, and it will be my next Task as soon as I am done with the Occre Beagle. So far, your work looks terrific for a first time. Please keep us posted on your progress.
Hi Frank,
good to hear from others also planning to build this model!
I have the Teak strips from a German shop (https://www.steingraeber-modelle.de) but I am afraid that they will only ship within Germany. I paid around 50€ for the strips.
Maybe you can get them from https://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk

Hi and welcome, Already you are are off to a great start, I look forward to seeing how the deck looks when completed, it is a detail I would like improve on my my next build.

Buongiorno ,provate a usare le varie essenze di Parquet ,Pollice suPollice su

Attachments

• DSC00199.JPG
    DSC00199.JPG
    244.2 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
It’s time for an update showing the progress of the deck pieces.

I completed the planking of the forecastle deck and applied the method suggested by @Heinrich wich worked perfectly. Only the color of the sawdust was too light so I sanded the graphite from a pencil to „saw dust“ and mixed it with the Teak saw dust. Using this mix produced an realistic looking aging/weathering effect! Additionally I added simulated nails using a pencil.

Now I’m working on planking the main deck wich will take some time…

4F12C669-9A5E-4BD6-B6A3-857E50400221.jpeg

That looks wonderful Thomas! Thumbsup I am very glad I could be of assistance. A very blessed and healthy 2022 to you and your family!

It’s time for an update showing the progress of the deck pieces.

I completed the planking of the forecastle deck and applied the method suggested by @Heinrich wich worked perfectly. Only the color of the sawdust was too light so I sanded the graphite from a pencil to „saw dust“ and mixed it with the Teak saw dust. Using this mix produced an realistic looking aging/weathering effect! Additionally I added simulated nails using a pencil.

Now I’m working on planking the main deck wich will take some time…

View attachment 279548
That really looks fabulous

Back