La Couronne-To paint or not to paint

For the time beeing i stopped with further building of my model LaCouronne, because i cannot decide to paint it or to apply only a transparent varnish.In the original the water line of the hull is painted white,but İ think it is pity to cover the mahagoni planking with a white paint.Thanks in advance for your nice recommendations

IMG_6391.jpeg

IMG_6330.jpeg

Everyone likes something different. In my opinion, no, because there is a nice contrast on the model. If I know I'm going to paint, I don't use exotic wood, only ordinary linden.

Honestly, for realism, the bottom should be covered with white stuff. Like you, however, I couldn't bring myself to cover the nice mahogany bottom. Your ship is coming along beautifully, Korsan.

1720970352283.png

It would look similar to this with the white stuff on the hull.
1720971387090.png

Last edited:
Thank you Kuba91nt
The exotic wood was allready delivered in the Corel Kit of this model.
But I agree with you not to paint,because it would be pity to cover that nice structure of the wood .While i was writing to you Darivs Architectvs (in my opinion a very appreciated and experienced member of our group) also encouraged me not to cover with white color.
Alea iacta est ala Asterix - Ceasar. No white paint will be applied .

Honestly, for realism, the bottom should be covered with white stuff. Like you, however, I couldn't bring myself to cover the nice mahogany bottom. Your ship is coming along beautifully, Korsan.

View attachment 459172

It would look similar to this with the white stuff on the hull.
View attachment 459173
Thank you ,
you stopped me to kill the exotic colour and structure of the mahagoni.

Thank you ,
you stopped me to kill the exotic colour and structure of the mahagoni.
It would look good either way. It's a matter of personal preference for your model. I chose a white bottom for the sovereign because the aim of that model was realism. La Couronne was a learning model for me, and there were plenty of small mistakes made, so I didn't feel bad leaving the wood bottom as it was, particularly because it contrast with the light colored maple sides above. On the Sovereign, the white bottom contrasts with the black and gold that dominate the rest of the hull above.

I will probably bring along the very lower wale a white colored 1x1mm stripe to give a movement when you look at the model.Not the right expression - to eliminate the monoton contuniuty of the hull??
Atachment with & without white stripe

IMG_6405.jpeg

IMG_6406.jpeg

It would look good either way. It's a matter of personal preference for your model. I chose a white bottom for the sovereign because the aim of that model was realism. La Couronne was a learning model for me, and there were plenty of small mistakes made, so I didn't feel bad leaving the wood bottom as it was, particularly because it contrast with the light colored maple sides above. On the Sovereign, the white bottom contrasts with the black and gold that dominate the rest of the hull above.
I always ask myself, "Was the ship likely to have been built using ____________________?"If I answer either "no" or "unlikely" I paint it. But. that's me. I like realism not necessarily decorative pieces.

Bill

I don't know about the white stripe. It would look out of place to me. When you oil or varnish the hull, the dark wood will get much darker, and the maple will stay light. I like your wales just he way they are.
Next week i have a vacation for about 3 months outside Istanbul in Gallipolli -Saros Bay.I cannot take La Couronne with.So I will have enough time to think about that case.
In case if i am getting bored during that time i take an unopened Toulannaise Kit from Corel as an emergency (ambulance) kit with me.
Kind Regards

I agree with Curt put some oil or varnish and the wood color will be much better-darker. There's no need for a white strip

That's a lovely model! There are so many decisions in life; there are so many decisions in model making. As the famous philosopher Yogi Berra said "When you come to a fork in the road... take it." Here's the thing: a model is made to be viewed. So, what do you want the viewer to see and understand? Do you want them to see what the actual ship would have looked like? And under what conditions e.g.: On the ways before launching? Under sail? At anchor? Do you want the viewer to see the details of construction and rigging? Do you want the viewer to see an imaginary representation of the vessel that shows them the beauty of an engineering work? Pondering of these and other considerations will guide your decisions.

Let's think about some of the aforementioned scenarios. An accurate model of a vessel on the ways would not have masts since they would typically be stepped after launching. An accurate model of a ship under sail would be a waterline model because one could never see below the waterline when sails are set. How large a scale must be used to show how a vessel is constructed and rigged? As the modeler decreases scale down from 1:1 various details must necessarily be lost. The New Bedford Whaling Museum has an amazing model of the whaling bark Lagoda. It shows almost every detail but it is 1:2 scale. What is the role of aesthetics as opposed to accuracy in model making? In any case, have fun!

Next week i have a vacation for about 3 months outside Istanbul in Gallipolli -Saros Bay.I cannot take La Couronne with.So I will have enough time to think about that case.
In case if i am getting bored during that time i take an unopened Toulannaise Kit from Corel as an emergency (ambulance) kit with me.
Kind Regards
Enjoy your time off. I spent several weeks in Istanbul sight seeing and buying souvenirs, several decades ago. I miss eating the fresh fish sandwiches made on freshly caught fish served by the vendors on Galata bridge, not far from Yenni Mosque. Delicious!

That's a lovely model! There are so many decisions in life; there are so many decisions in model making. As the famous philosopher Yogi Berra said "When you come to a fork in the road... take it." Here's the thing: a model is made to be viewed. So, what do you want the viewer to see and understand? Do you want them to see what the actual ship would have looked like? And under what conditions e.g.: On the ways before launching? Under sail? At anchor? Do you want the viewer to see the details of construction and rigging? Do you want the viewer to see an imaginary representation of the vessel that shows them the beauty of an engineering work? Pondering of these and other considerations will guide your decisions.

Let's think about some of the aforementioned scenarios. An accurate model of a vessel on the ways would not have masts since they would typically be stepped after launching. An accurate model of a ship under sail would be a waterline model because one could never see below the waterline when sails are set. How large a scale must be used to show how a vessel is constructed and rigged? As the modeler decreases scale down from 1:1 various details must necessarily be lost. The New Bedford Whaling Museum has an amazing model of the whaling bark Lagoda. It shows almost every detail but it is 1:2 scale. What is the role of aesthetics as opposed to accuracy in model making? In any case, have fun!
A model like La Couronne in 1:100 scale is indeed a careful selection of what features to rig and what to leave out.

Enjoy your time off. I spent several weeks in Istanbul sight seeing and buying souvenirs, several decades ago. I miss eating the fresh fish sandwiches made on freshly caught fish served by the vendors on Galata bridge, not far from Yenni Mosque. Delicious!
Hi Kurt
Balık Ekmek(fish &bread) is as precious and traditional for us living in Istanbul as fish &chips for people in England.To refresh your memories: https://www.google.com/gasearch?q=balik ekmek&source=sh/x/gs/m2/5
Have a nice week

IMG_6407.jpeg

Back