la Flore by SigEp Ziggy, Lindberg Jolly Roger 1/133 scale model ship kit

I going to start AND finish this model by the end of 2021. That is my goal. This should be fun.

9feb2021 051.jpg9feb2021 052.jpg9feb2021 054.jpg9feb2021 055.jpg

I plan on adding details, hawse holes, capstans on the gun deck, galley stove, officer's/captain's quarters, make sails, masts and spars. I will continue to work on all my other projects too.

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing how this builds, as I have just purchased Lindbergs Flying Dutchman which is essentially the same kit, but will hopefully be building it into its original state as La Flore/HMS Flora/Vestale at some point.

I love this small model, it was a christmas present 40 Years ago as I was 12. As far as I know it is the only plastic kit of an 18th century frigate (I consider the Revell Constitution an early 19th century frigate, even though the original was built in 1797).
Many very good build logs of this kit were not finished or cancelled, so I take your word for it and look forward to this build. ;)

In 1981 the cover looks like this:

lindberg---n-820-jolly-roger-pirate-ship-plastic-kit-p-image-373999-grande.jpg

Last edited:
This is Lindberg's La Flore as released in 1965, before it became the Jolly Roger.
Historically though the ship started off as the French Frigate the Vestale before it was captured by the British and renamed HMS Flora, after which it was in turn she was scuttled so the french could not recapture her, later she was regulated and sold to the french and renamed La Flore.

1010681-12192-97-pristine.jpg

I going to start AND finish this model by the end of 2021. That is my goal. This should be fun.

View attachment 212598View attachment 212599View attachment 212600View attachment 212601

I plan on adding details, hawse holes, capstans on the gun deck, galley stove, officer's/captain's quarters, make sails, masts and spars. I will continue to work on all my other projects too.

I think you are right with the hawse holes. The Paris Model also doesn't show them in the height of the gunwale (btw I have never seen any hawse hole going through any gunwale). Maybe Lindberg found it too difficult to fit the anchor rope on the right position.

a1.jpg

Cirdan, the image you posted, is the look I hoping to achieve.

RobT, thank you for showing interest and the info.

This is my Valentine's present from my sons...

14feb2021 002.jpg

No excuse now for learning how to use an air brush for the first time!

Got the kit in my stash. Looking foreward to the build. A first view shows the masts weren't the best. What is your opinion?

What is your final target FLORE or JOLLY ROGER?

Chris, I plan to make mine from wooden dowels. I may try to make the smaller yards from brass rod, I am just unsure how easy it will be to taper them. Also, I will try making my own sails.

I am still working on painting the decks and hull. So far, craft paint main color, followed by craft paint washes, then enamel clear and finally an oil wash. I am still practicing on some plastic right now.

I am going to start with the boats and canons.

23feb2021 002.jpg

The canons, scale wise, look to be 12 or 18 pounders, too big for this fifth rate ship, however I will use the barrels and either improve the carriages or replace with scratch built. I will improve on the boats and figures.

Chris, I plan to make mine from wooden dowels. I may try to make the smaller yards from brass rod, I am just unsure how easy it will be to taper them. Also, I will try making my own sails.

I am still working on painting the decks and hull. So far, craft paint main color, followed by craft paint washes, then enamel clear and finally an oil wash. I am still practicing on some plastic right now.

I am going to start with the boats and canons.

View attachment 215824

The canons, scale wise, look to be 12 or 18 pounders, too big for this fifth rate ship, however I will use the barrels and either improve the carriages or replace with scratch built. I will improve on the boats and figures.
Hi Ziggy,

Just saw your post about masts and yards. Of course you'll do your masts and larger yards from dowels, have you considered wooden skewers or cocktail sticks for the very small yards, I used these on my Pyro Santa Catarina do Monte Sinai kit which is smaller than the Jolly roger.
Have posted a pic below, just a suggestion, hope this helps.
20201124_082257.jpg

Chris, that's a great idea, however, all the skewer around here are bamboo, I have to try painting or staining to see if they will work, Shane

View attachment 212598View attachment 212599View attachment 212600View attachment 212601

Hallo Shane, alias @SigEp Ziggy
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Enjoy your special day
Birthday-Cake

Hey Ziggy
I know from my own experience that is not easy to paint plastic hull to represent wood colors.
So, I will follow your build to learn what is your trick to make this happen.

My bold statement of finishing by the end of the year, was kind of like a campaign promise, best intentions but borderline lie. Anyhow, I have an update.

I am adding an Orlop deck for the ladders to land on, adding .020 styrene to the gun deck hull and I am still detailing the boats and guns.

15jun2022 005.jpg

Back