La Venus - French frigate from 1782 - scale 1:96 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Yes, my chisels also come from Russia! They are truly exceptional! You should start using them!;)
Hi Giampy,
Such outstanding work! Three questions, if you please.

1) Do you have the name and/or email contact of the Russian master chisel maker. I know Uwek did post a link to his review, but I could not find a contact. I also know he only makes limited supplies so I would be very lucky to purchase them, but I would like to try.

2) The brass channel supports you fabricated and attached to the underside of the channels in your post, #50. Could you tell us how you made those? I typically find making small pieces from brass sheets difficult, especially very small pieces. You've made your very uniform and I'm thinking if you did make them by free hand and no use of a jig, oh my, you are then an artist. I, and I'm sure others would learn quite a bit to know how you made them

3) Considering and witnessing the precise nature of your works at such a small scale, you either have eyesight of a hawk or eagle or you have some very good magnifying glasses. Would you please tell us what you use for magnification.

Thank you for sharing your talents and thank you in advance for taking the time to answer my questions.

Cheers,
Ken

Last edited:
1) Do you have the name and/or email contact of the Russian master chisel maker. I know Uwek did post a link to his review, but I could not find a contact. I also know he only makes limited supplies so I would be very lucky to purchase them, but I would like to try.
Only a short additional info related the chisels.
I got my set over a friend of a friend - so I do not have personally a direct contact.
But also @Jimsky just bought one set - he should have also the contact - so for the case @Giampy65 has no conatct data

Hi Giampy,
Such outstanding work! Three questions, if you please.

2) The brass channel supports you fabricated and attached to the underside of the channels in your post, #50. Could you tell us how you made those? I typically find making small pieces from brass sheets difficult, especially very small pieces. You've made your very uniform and I'm thinking if you did make them by free hand and no use of a jig, oh my, you are then an artist. I, and I'm sure others would learn quite a bit to know how you made them

3) Considering and witnessing the precise nature of your works at such a small scale, you either have eyesight of a hawk or eagle or you have some very good magnifying glasses. Would you please tell us what you use for magnification.

Thank you for sharing your talents and thank you in advance for taking the time to answer my questions.

Cheers,
Ken
Hi Ken and thank you for your interest in my model!
I will try to answer your requests and I apologize if what I write is not correct: my knowledge of english language is at school level and I get help from a translator!

1) I sent you a PM with Mihail Kirsanov's email address to avoid spamming problems. It's the only way I know to contact him.

2) Everything you have been able to see in my previous posts is done by hand, one by one, without any jig: I do some work with the help of small pliers, small grinders, small files and I finish with 1000 sandpaper.
Generally, for small metal pieces, after drawing the outline, I try to make the cut abundantly and bring it to size slowly, with a small grinding wheel where possible, or with a file, holding the piece firmly with a small flat nose pliers; it's a job of extreme patience, but I'm not in a hurry ....!

3) This is what I use to be able to see better; A very common visor with double magnifying glass that is easily on the market. The only change I made is the small LED headlight mounted on the visor and powered by a lithium battery. This set is also easily found on eBay
IMG_20210430_103258.jpg

I hope I managed to satisfy your requests and I hope you continue to follow me ...!

Thank you, Uwe, @Hoss6262 The Russian master is Mihail Kirsanov his email address is mihail.kirsanov@mail.ru tell him, you were referenced by Dmitry (this is my Russian name). If you have trouble communicate I will help you.

Good luck!
Jim (Dmitriy)
Thanks Jim. I've contacted Mihail and am ordering the last set he has. He said he will not be making any more sets until October of this year, so I got very lucky. I can't wait to get my hands on them. Mihail seems like a very nice guy.
Cheers,
Ken

Only a short additional info related the chisels.
I got my set over a friend of a friend - so I do not have personally a direct contact.
But also @Jimsky just bought one set - he should have also the contact - so for the case @Giampy65 has no conatct data
Thank you Uwek. I was able to get in touch with Mihail and order his last set. Woohoo!! It will be like Christmas in May!!

Cheers,
Ken

Thanks Jim. I've contacted Mihail and am ordering the last set he has. He said he will not be making any more sets until October of this year, so I got very lucky. I can't wait to get my hands on them. Mihail seems like a very nice guy.
Cheers,
Ken
He is a nice guy and a Gentleman! And you will be happy with the tools, for sure!

Hi Ken and thank you for your interest in my model!
I will try to answer your requests and I apologize if what I write is not correct: my knowledge of english language is at school level and I get help from a translator!

1) I sent you a PM with Mihail Kirsanov's email address to avoid spamming problems. It's the only way I know to contact him.

2) Everything you have been able to see in my previous posts is done by hand, one by one, without any jig: I do some work with the help of small pliers, small grinders, small files and I finish with 1000 sandpaper.
Generally, for small metal pieces, after drawing the outline, I try to make the cut abundantly and bring it to size slowly, with a small grinding wheel where possible, or with a file, holding the piece firmly with a small flat nose pliers; it's a job of extreme patience, but I'm not in a hurry ....!

3) This is what I use to be able to see better; A very common visor with double magnifying glass that is easily on the market. The only change I made is the small LED headlight mounted on the visor and powered by a lithium battery. This set is also easily found on eBay
View attachment 230458

I hope I managed to satisfy your requests and I hope you continue to follow me ...!
Hi Giampy,
Thank you for your response. All I can say is WOW! So impressive with the brass supports for the underside of the channels. You create those free hand and one-off and achieve amazing uniformity. I'm literally here typing this and shaking my head in disbelief. Just so impressive.

And I was hoping you were going to show me some magical magnifying glasses that I could buy and help me. And you show us a basic 2X magnifying headset. Nothing magical in those, which makes your work even more impressive.

I know we are all giving you these compliments but you have earned them all.

I have placed an order for a set of Mihail's micro chisels. So I look forward to receiving them and working some wood.

Now I've taken up enough of your time. I will now let you get back to your work and continue impressing us all!
Cheers,
Ken

Impressive... What kind of wood is this? I'm using boxwood but this one looks even better.

Last edited:
Impressive... What kind of wood is this? I'm using boxwood but this one looks even better.
I use pear wood for this model

Dear Giampy
Indeed an amazing carving and design craft, I would love if you would share photos / video about the process so we can learn from your experience .
I have already posted some videos I made for Amarante decorations:

WOW - you did a very good job the the main decoration - especially having in mind the small size
Lucky you, that you have such steady hands ..... and fine tools

Back