Lanyards

This is an interesting article on setting up Lanyards and Deadeyes. Some of these people take themselves awfully seriously but I think he is writing for sailors setting up real boats not models. How they view their lanyards is interesting..I have wondered about the modelling habit of tying lanyards in natural rather than black (tarred) as standing rigging. I thi k actually black is the answer... not as pretty but more logical...but I admit arguable. Not suggesting rigging lanyards to this exact recipe...the Matthew Walker knot requires three strands for a start which is out of scope....figure 8 will do me.

Last edited:
This is an interesting article on setting up Lanyards and Deadeyes. Some of these people take themselves awfully seriously but I think he is writing for sailors setting up real boats not models. How they view their lanyards is interesting..I have wondered about the modelling habit of tying lanyards in natural rather than black (tarred) as standing rigging. I thi k actually black is the answer... not as pretty but more logical...but I admit arguable. Not suggesting rigging lanyards to this exact recipe...the Matthew Walker knot requires three strands for a start which is out of scope....figure 8 will do me.

Thanxs for sharing, John,
The 3.strand, fig 1.1 is a challenge ;) instead of a regular knot.
Regards, Peter

Thanks Peter...these traditional boat people get really serious about their detail don't they. They obviously love the boats. I get that but can't get quite as obsessed. Still it is interesting to read about the role of the lanyards and it does inform how you rig them. I have always wondered whether to start at top or bottom deadeye.

Back