Latest Aquisition - CNC Router

After doing a considerable amount of research and comparison between 3D Printers, Lasers, and CNC Routers for some time; weighing the pros and cons of each and how they would fit into a scratch builder's arsenal. Ultimately I decided on the Foxalien 3018-SE V2. With an Active Work Area of 278x157x 33mm/11"x6.18"x1.3" I believed this would provide me with sufficient height, width, and depth (X, Y, and Z) for nearly anything I wanted to create. At $319.00, it also fits nicely into the budget and would only require the family to subsist on fish heads and rice for approximately 2.37 weeks. (I have enough Soy and Duck Sauce packets stashed away for them in the fridge.)

FoxAlien3018.jpg
The unit arrived the day after ordering (Don't ya just love Amazon Prime), well packed and without having been dragged down the street by the delivery service. Assembly was dead simple as the assemble manual consisted almost entirely of well-annotated pictures. The initial operation took a bit of patience and thought, not because it was complicated in any way but that it was necessary to get my head wrapped around a new way of thinking. However, thanks to some very well documented FAQs on the manufacturer's website, and top-notch customer service on the part of Foxalien (Answers within 24 hours), and a few test files provided on a flash drive, I very quickly produced my first CNC Engraving - The manufacturer's logo.

Next, it was on to learn the application necessary to produce the variety of ship parts that this fine machine would produce. In this case, it was the recommended AutoDesk Fusion 360. The desktop application is Free with a few limitations - none that would be a hindrance for my purposes. Having used programs such as QCad and SketchUp in the past, launching Fusion 360 was not like entering a completely alien world. With the help of a tremendous multitude of Fusion 360 Tutorials on YouTube, within three days I was producing beams, ledgers, gratings, and of course the obligatory wife's first name. The results were far better than I expected.

It is certainly safe to say that material selection is the key to producing accurate, high-quality, ship parts. Open-grained woods will naturally produce "fuzzy" carvings but this can be somewhat overcome with the right end mill selection. My most successful use of the machine thus far is grating made of Boxwood.

All in all, I am extremely happy with my choice of a CNC Router. Relatively fast and extremely accurate, I have no worries when it comes to filament type (3D Printer) or scorching (Laser). I can also produce intricate 2.5D carvings with little fuss. An added bonus, one that I did not realize when purchasing the machine, is that it can easily be fitted with a Laser which gives me two machines for the price of one. I'm unsure if I will ever need/want those capabilities, but it is still nice to have.

All-in-all I'm very pleased with my purchase and would certainly recommend this method and machine to anyone interested in taking the dive. If there are others out there who are using this or a similar CNC Router, I would love to hear from you. Perhaps we can exchange ideas, lessons learned, or even carving files.

Sincerely,

Hank

Last edited:
Congratulations on the successful purchase, I also purchased the same machine. https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/...-router-machine-offline-controller-grbl.7351/
I was impressed by the specialization you achieved in self-study. I would be happy to receive references to videos and sites from which you have learned, I have a hard time upgrading my easel + and Gerbahl service transition capabilities.
Thanks
Sir,

I explored Easel but found it a bit too limiting for my needs. Nothing wrong with the application whatsoever. Perhaps I'm just a bit too anal-retentive. I found Fusion 360 to be the best thing around. It's FREE (As in beer) for student/hobby users for the first year. After that, a purchase is required, but I'm sure someone with "flexible" ethics would sign up again using a different email address. I would never do this being the professional that I am.

I dumped the GRBL Control App that came with the machine in favor of Candle (https://github.com/Denvi/Candle) as it provides better features, especially for calibrating Z-axis (Using a Z Probe).

The best tutorials for Fusion 360 that I've found are available at https://www.youtube.com/c/TheFusionEssentials/featured. As I have an extensive computer monitor, I have the videos playing on one half and Fusion 360 on the other. I went along step-by-step as the videographer goes through the lesson, pausing and rewinding when he started to use words of more than two syllables.

The greatest gift we ship modelers have been given is the gift of patience. Patience to follow the tutorials until we've somewhat mastered what is being presented. Seriously, I'll never understand how we commit ourselves for sometimes a year or more to building a model, yet when it comes to learning something new we want instant gratification...LOL

Hank

Looks like you got a nice machine, congrats. Does the package includes the spindle?

Thanks

Oskar,

Absolutely...the spindle was included. Since it arrived I've purchased a few extra end mills for carving/milling. A set of 6 engraving bits were included with the machine. Below is the CAD File needed to mill the beams and ledgers for my current build. I've been using Fusion 360 and am very pleased with the application and its ability to take a project from initial drawing through to generating the G-Code needed for the CNC Machine.

beamsf3d.jpg
I'm taking my time with the whole process. Baby steps at first. I want to make sure I completely understand each step so as not to damage the machine.

Hank

Thanks Hank, then its a good deal and congrats on your new machine. I remember years ago my first small CNC (which I built myself) during a small run the Z axis went thru the table and luckily only damaged the table top. I was told from another forum that its a good idea to glance at the G code to see if the Z axis is stated within your limits, at least at the beginning, to assure that the Z axis never goes below the top of your table. I got into the habit of always checking my G code before a run and never had any problem after. Actually the G code, which is a text file, is very easy to read and modify if you want and knowhow and its an insurance to protect your machine. Good luck.

Oskar,

I believe I got a very good deal on the FoxAlien 3018 SE v2. I did my "due diligence" and bought an "entry-level," yet capable machine for my needs. I have no intention of venturing into any work larger than 300mm x 180mm x 45mm (11.8in x 7in x 1.75in). Larger machines are great for those who plan to adopt CNC Routers as a revenue stream. The very last thing I want to have is a "Job."

I think it is safe to say that the applications producing G-Code these days have gotten more and more sophisticated over the years. Regardless, I would believe that "zero-ing" the Z-Axis prior to each production is a very safe habit to adopt.

With the few things I've produced thus far, I've never glanced through the G-Code to look for Z-Axis issues. Sure, I've opened it up in Visual Studio, but found it logical with the exception of some of the built-in commands.

I'm having fun, which is really all that matters.

Hank

Sir,

I explored Easel but found it a bit too limiting for my needs. Nothing wrong with the application whatsoever. Perhaps I'm just a bit too anal-retentive. I found Fusion 360 to be the best thing around. It's FREE (As in beer) for student/hobby users for the first year. After that, a purchase is required, but I'm sure someone with "flexible" ethics would sign up again using a different email address. I would never do this being the professional that I am.
After a year just apply for the hobby/student license again. No need for a new email and you keep all of your projects. I've had Fusion 360 for several years now under the same email/account.

Glenn

Back