Lathe as a grinder. I recommend this solution.

Using any grinding or sanding device in a lathe is never a good idea. Grit can and will get into the bearings of the lathe and ruin them. All grinding is typically done in a machine shop in a separate room or far away from other power tools, like a lathe.
I understood my colleagues worries, but it's not a problem for me.
I don't understand the grinding problem/worry one a lathe? How many people use sandpaper to smooth your project in a lathe? And if there occurs a problem(I don't think it will be), just replace the bearings I did and total cost where under 10 euro incl. belt. See link post #18
These bearings are sealed, there is no way to them to get damaged by dust or grit.
Well - everything wears out over time. Previously, I sandpapered masts and posts on it and there was a lot more dust and so far nothing has happened except a broken belt. I wouldn't do it on a professional lathe with heavy use, but here when modeling, the end justifies the means, as long as something helps or improves the work, it's worth it. It's just a lathe, I'll either repair it or find another one.

Last edited:
wonderful idea !
I will try it ,although i have a small Chinese lathe so i'm limited with the drum size.

Back