Lathe buying tips

Hi! Im planning to buy a lathe since i now got almost everything else of powertools. I feel a lathe is in need. I have read tons of other post about the topic, but i figure out maybe it was better to just start my own thread.
I have been looking at the proxxon db 250
Proxxon pd250
And the sieg c3.
ED400FD Holzmann

I will use it for turning small wooden things first so the proxxon db 250 would be fine for that i think as i can turn masts on it as well.

But then im thinking of the future if i wanted to turn metal/brass aswell. The bigger lathes would certainly be the better choice. Then the proxxon db 250 would be wasted money?
Or as i have understood the proxxon db250 is perfect for turning masts and the other lathes i have mentioned dont do that job very well?
I have to admit i dont know allot about lathes specifications and technical abilities, but i do know the basics for turning as i learnt that at class when i went to school.
But some input from others would be good for me as i cant decide whats best. To buy the small db250 or ditch it as the bigger lathes can do the same job just as good on the smaller parts and masts?

I will mention i also looked at the sherline, but that seems a littlebit on the expensive side. When considering taxes, tolls and shipping from the us to Norway. Then im not sure if a sherline would be worth it anymore.

For just turning wood I would go with the Proxxon- as a plus it's small and well built. And small quality hobby tools hold their value if you sell it and move on to a larger machine. I would get the three jaw chuck, collet set and a live center for it, and you should be able to turn some cannons, etc. with a graver and files. I have an old Unimat DB and a Craftsman 6" metal lathe, but haven't used the Sieg C-3. They are everywhere and can do great work, but the factory will build them to the price and quality the importer wants. Is the Holzmann a higher quality C-3? In the US Micro Mark sells a C3 with better specifications and build quality:
http://www.micromark.com/MicroLux-7x16-Mini-Lathe
for almost double the cheapest C3, but probably worth the price. Check out reviews on European hobby lathe sites to see what is available to you. One I'd love to see in person is this Soviet hobby size lathe:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/russian/

After some more thinking i think i will put an order for the proxxon db 250. As pebbleworm mentions there is still some value to it if i would sell it and get a bigger one later.
I wont loose allot of money if i sell it later and it will be a nice "tuition" machine to learn more about turning.
Its not a big machine so i could even just store it somewhere if i decided to get a bigger lathe later.
I would also think that sometime its also more convenient to just use the small lathe for some tasks.
For the price of the proxxon db 250 and these points i think its worth giving it a chance!

Thank you for the tips Gemma and Peppleworm. Even tho i decided for the small proxxon i will check your links and prepare for the future so i wont have to ask again:)

Back