Le Coureur 1776, CAF model by Sisco

Ciao to you all , I have returned after a short absence.

Thanks for the wishes .
Now I'm fine and ready to ... happily chase those who are better than me!

First of all I proceeded to correct the mistake that fortunately you have shown me. I would certainly have had problems later.
I unglued and re-glued clamp in the correct position

le coureur_21_11-7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Then, to recover some of the self-esteem lost as a model maker, I dedicated myself to an interlocutory project
I made a keel klamp on the model presented on this site by the user "docBlake" ( Thank you Mr Blake ) in the section of the forum dedicated to the technique.
I only made some minor changes necessary to adapt the project to the material that I was able to obtain from suppliers in this area.

I am satisfied with the result. It is robust, economical, practical, has the charm of wood and then .. it is self-produced.
The only drawback, apart from the weight, is that the whole is a bit high and therefore impractical for working in a sitting position

To test it, I tried it on a model built 15 years ago, the Panart armed launch , one of the models that gave me greater satisfaction, for the abundance of details and the finesse of the project.

le coureur_21_11.jpg

le coureur_21_11-2.jpg

le coureur_21_11-3.jpg

le coureur_21_11-4.jpg

Then .. restore self-esteem as a model maker ..... I started planking inside.
For now I have not found it necessary to moisten the wood. I limited myself to bend the wood with a little while warm.
For the glue I did not use the CA like Chello because ... I used too much in my past as a model aircraft maker and now I'm allergic.
I used a contact glue
This is the result
le coureur_21_11-6.jpg

By the way, I have a question for Usek, the lighthouse that guides my erratic going to sea ..
What are the dimensions of the window you intend to leave? From which rib and to what rib?
And in height from which strip, from the bottom?

Thank you in advance for your kind reply

For now I have not found it necessary to moisten the wood. I limited myself to bend the wood with a little while warm.
For the glue I did not use the CA like Chello because ... I used too much in my past as a model aircraft maker and now I'm allergic.
I used a contact glue
This is the result
Looking really good Sico, I’m well underway developing an allergic reaction to the CA glue. The price we pay for love ...

I used a contact glue
This is the result
Very good result :)

By the way, I have a question for Usek, the lighthouse that guides my erratic going to sea ..
What are the dimensions of the window you intend to leave? From which rib and to what rib?
And in height from which strip, from the bottom?

Thank you in advance for your kind reply
Hallo my friend,
first of all my compliments - for the correct step to correct the small error with the clamps and especially for the very good progress you made.
With window, I guess you mean the openings in the outside hull planking?
In moment - I do not know exactly
This photos are showing the CAF model, and I like this way very much. I think, that I will decide than final during the real outside planking progress
20.jpg 21.jpg

Due to the fact, that I do not know exactly now, I decided also to make some further work on the interior, so I see later on better, which parts of the interior is visible through the frames and which not

Hallo my friend,
first of all my compliments - for the correct step to correct the small error with the clamps and especially for the very good progress you made.
With window, I guess you mean the openings in the outside hull planking?
In moment - I do not know exactly
This photos are showing the CAF model, and I like this way very much. I think, that I will decide than final during the real outside planking progress
View attachment 194682 View attachment 194683

Due to the fact, that I do not know exactly now, I decided also to make some further work on the interior, so I see later on better, which parts of the interior is visible through the frames and which not
thanks Uwek.
Now everything is much clearer to me.
I thought that the space left free in the internal planking was also linked to the choice of what to show inside
I don't have Jean Boudriot's monograph .. but it's at the top of the Christmas list!

Hello to all.
I have finished the internal planking of the hull. Apart from a further effort of sanding it seems to me finished. I am more satisfied with the result in the bow than in the "puzzle" of the stern .. but let's go on

le coureur_21_11-8.jpg

le coureur_21_11-9.jpg

Hello to all.
I have finished the internal planking of the hull. Apart from a further effort of sanding it seems to me finished. I am more satisfied with the result in the bow than in the "puzzle" of the stern .. but let's go on
Great work Sisco. Hoping to find some time tomorrow to continue with the inner planking. Did you have to take the same measures as Uwe did with the stern section of the inner hull planking?

Great work Sisco. Hoping to find some time tomorrow to continue with the inner planking. Did you have to take the same measures as Uwe did with the stern section of the inner hull planking?
Hi Chello, how are you?
I haven't seen any signs from England in a while.
Coming to your question ...
I must say that I found it practically impossible to do precise work with the puzzle pieces in the kit and had to cut several pieces to try to find an almost acceptable composition.
For the moment I am very impressed by the quality of the kit, of the materials .. of the workmanship .. of how it was "designed" .. but for the stern lining .. a little less.
I would have been more comfortable with straight strips to be shaped as needed. Everything would have been even more accurate from the point of view of the reproduction of the real ship.
Anyway… I'm having fun.. and this is the most important thing.. mainly in this period

Hi Chello, how are you?
I haven't seen any signs from England in a while.
Coming to your question ...
I must say that I found it practically impossible to do precise work with the puzzle pieces in the kit and had to cut several pieces to try to find an almost acceptable composition.
For the moment I am very impressed by the quality of the kit, of the materials .. of the workmanship .. of how it was "designed" .. but for the stern lining .. a little less.
I would have been more comfortable with straight strips to be shaped as needed. Everything would have been even more accurate from the point of view of the reproduction of the real ship.
Anyway… I'm having fun.. and this is the most important thing.. mainly in this period
Hi Sisco, I’m doing well but have not had the time to do any work on le coureur. Admirals orders you see, she’s having me building the kitchen and I fear her wrath if I don’t obey. Feisty little thing she is.
hoping to do some work on le coureur tomorrow. I still can’t make sense of CAF’s thinking behind the stern inner hull planking. As @PoulD also stated, the individual pieces are so intricate and uniquely shaped that there must be an idea behind. However if you and Uwek had to butcher all the pieces to make them fit then there must be something wrong with the @CAFmodel design.

I know what you mean talking about " the Admiral"!
Admirals are the same everywhere!.
I agree with you that there must be an idea behind
in the rest of kit everything is so well planned and organised that surely must be so
But what can be perfect on a Cad design on a pc screen ..could be in the reality of our real shipyard not perfect. And using so large and so intricate pieces is more difficult for me to obtain a good result than using narrows strip that run paralels to the keel

Hi Sisco, I’m doing well but have not had the time to do any work on le coureur. Admirals orders you see, she’s having me building the kitchen and I fear her wrath if I don’t obey. Feisty little thing she is.
hoping to do some work on le coureur tomorrow. I still can’t make sense of CAF’s thinking behind the stern inner hull planking. As @PoulD also stated, the individual pieces are so intricate and uniquely shaped that there must be an idea behind. However if you and Uwek had to butcher all the pieces to make them fit then there must be something wrong with the @CAFmodel design.
I also had to make very substantial modifications to the stern planks.

Back