Le Coureur 1776, CAF model by Sisco

Hi Pianoforte. Thank you for your compliments
I jump, perhaps a bit reckless given my modest level of English ( even more than that of model maker ) in a joke .
Your nickname is pianoforte. It means , in Italian, that you go slowly but strongly. It sounds good

After the "race" to finish the first box .. Right now I feel like cyclists on the track when they stop and make “surplace” to let someone else take the lead and lead the way.

I gladly leave the excitement of leading the way to the many masters of this forum!

I am a happy pursuer ...

Having said that, I am working on many projects more or less connected with the construction of the kit.

Given the effort made by CAF to pack the rods and strips in an orderly manner (first time in so many kits seen in my life as a model maker that the strips are divided and marked by size) I decided to dedicate two containers to them, created with recovery materials.

One for the rods and one for the strips.

Cost 0

le coureur_4-10.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Then I built a new bender.

An old jam jar, a shoe string for wick, a small wooden box as a support (with magnetic closure to hold the lighter), a tin box of some useless gift ...
Cost 0
It's definitely a primative and not very glamorous system but it works well.
Obviously , the strip must always be kept moist to avoid unwanted burns.
This is the result on a very hard wood strip of 2.5mm X 5mm

le coureur_4-8.jpg

le coureur_4-7.jpg

le coureur_4-9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Brian.
I'll definitely do it. I certainly didn't think about inventing something new!
In my case I was taught by an old carpenter who had seen it in the ... Philippines where they used it to bend the side band of the violin soundbox
and the original "model" included an even simpler candle
I prefer the alcohol heating
One of the things I like most about this forum is the fact that it makes us all feel a bit part of a global village, where it's nice to share experiences, ideas, suggestions, doubts (and who doesn't?)

Very good progress my friend
Your preparation and bending of the clamps was successful, like we can see Thumbsup
I have one remark to the installation of the clamp at the bow.
Did you use the measuring sticks for defining the height?
On my "version" of the model the top of the clamp is also at the top of the step in the keel (red arrow)
Yours is some milimeter lower. (green arrow)
le coureur_4-13.jpg
I did not fix mine until now, so it would be good, if you could check it on yours...

Very good progress my friend
Your preparation and bending of the clamps was successful, like we can see Thumbsup
I have one remark to the installation of the clamp at the bow.
Did you use the measuring sticks for defining the height?
On my "version" of the model the top of the clamp is also at the top of the step in the keel (red arrow)
Yours is some milimeter lower. (green arrow)
View attachment 192999
I did not fix mine until now, so it would be good, if you could check it on yours...
Hi sisco, good work so far but more tricky tasks ahead. The inside hull planking requires a lot of thinking and honestly I’m awaiting @Uwek next posts.
I did notice the same issue Uwe pointed out. I think the deck clamps should sit flush with the step in the keel. There is a clear drawing in the second manual indicating this. I don’t have the manual at hand but I’m sure you’ll find it.

Hi sisco, good work so far but more tricky tasks ahead. The inside hull planking requires a lot of thinking and honestly I’m awaiting @Uwek next posts.
I did notice the same issue Uwe pointed out. I think the deck clamps should sit flush with the step in the keel. There is a clear drawing in the second manual indicating this. I don’t have the manual at hand but I’m sure you’ll find it.
Do you mean this one?
IMG-4913.jpg

Dear Sisco,
I have been a little reluctant to post this but on the other hand something like this is exactly what I hope others will point out in my build log. If I make a mistake myself I would very much like to be told about it, preferably before it is too late to change :)

I may be wrong but to me it looks as if there is something wrong with your transoms. I think the top surface of the middle transom should be fully straight / flat (since it is basically the windowsill). Yours seems to be curved.
Could it be you have accidentally switched the middle and lower transom? (the lower transom should be curved - only in the opposite direction)
1605524602969.png

Last edited:
thank you all for your help.
I was probably wrong.
I used the sticks
For once I picked up the gauge to check the drawing .. I was uncertain for a long time .. and in the end I chose the wrong option.
Patience .. As soon as possible I will remedy the errors.
Now I'm not in great physical shape and if it weren't for Covid I already had it in March .. I would think I have it.

thank you all for your help.
I was probably wrong.
I used the sticks
For once I picked up the gauge to check the drawing .. I was uncertain for a long time .. and in the end I chose the wrong option.
Patience .. As soon as possible I will remedy the errors.
Now I'm not in great physical shape and if it weren't for Covid I already had it in March .. I would think I have it.
Nothing that can’t be undone sisco. I need to adjust the angle of my top transom too.
Look after yourself my friend and I hope you will feel better soon!

Back