Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

Kit Review: PART 1
LE COUREUR
french lugger
POF-kit
in scale 1:48 by CAF

since several months we were able to follow the development of this amazing kit in one of our topics

-> so we all want now to see the final content of the finished kit

The kit is offered directly via CAF-web-page for the price of 342,00 US$ excl. postage

Le Coureur (1776) (after capture by the british HMS Coureur (1778)) was a French lugger that Jacques and Daniel Denys built at Dunkirk and launched on 8 May 1776. Alert, under the command of Lieutenant William George Fairfax, engaged and captured her on 17 June 1778, in advance of the declaration of war. In the engagement Coureur, under the command of Enseigne de Rosily, had five men killed and seven wounded out of her crew of 50. Alert had four men wounded, two mortally. The British took Coureur into the Royal Navy under her existing name. She was under the command of Lieutenant Christopher Major on 21 June 1780 when two American privateers, the Fortune and the Griffin, captured her outside Bonavista Bay after an action that cost her three men killed and four wounded. The Americans put Major and 30 of his men aboard Griffin, which fell prey the next day to Fairy.

This is the complete view of the Le Coureur as shown in the ancre monograph drawn by Jean Boudriot

IMG-36021.jpg

The size of the CAF model in scale 1:48 when finished completely masted and rigged

Unbenannt.JPG

Package

The kit comes safe and careful packed in one covering box, wrapped completely with adhesive tape - so definitely no damage can happen and also no moisture can enter during the very short transport time (my box took only 4 days from China to Austria)
The two inner boxes plus the add-ons and kit-gifts are fitting very well, so no movement during transport can happen.
IMG_59851.jpg

Here the complete content of the kit
Main Box 1 and 2, one small kit of a cutter as a gift, one small box with barrels and figurines (als gift)
IMG_59861.jpg

IMG_59871.jpg

Box1:
Content and closer look

IMG_59881.jpg

everything fits well inside the box - also here no movement of the parts during transport is possible - very well packed and prepared
IMG_59891.jpg

complete overview of the content of Box 1 with one pack of wooden sheets (sealed separate in a plastic covering to avoid moisture), one bag with drawings and brass etching sheet, two manuals and a roll with plans
IMG_59901.jpg

The parts of the temporary or construction jig / cradle

jigframe.jpg.699b58b055c541652704bedf412f7c64.jpg

Remark: the ruler sometimes shown in the photos for comparison has a length of 50cm (the same length like the hull of the finished model
IMG_59981.jpg

IMG_59961.jpg

The sheets are from plywood, high quality without any warp - and the laser cut is also of highest quality
IMG_59951.jpg

IMG_60001.jpg

take a closer look at the part C3 - seems, that size was changed after the production and modified elements were implemented - this is best service and is showing, that CAF is not stopping to develop the kit - and can see also the high quality laser cut - the revised elements are fitting very well into the opening
IMG_60011.jpg

I love these sheets showing the structure of the vessel inside the cradle
IMG_60021.jpg

The sheets with the complete frames, keel and stern construction elements. Chosen timber is cherry (without any knotholes, with similar color and fine grain)
The correct parts have to be identified by using the manual (parts list)
IMG_60031.jpg

some close up photos showing the high quality laser cut - very fine and crispy
IMG_60041.jpg

CAF used a very fine laser - amazing quality
IMG_60051.jpg

Take a look at this fine laser lines !!!!
IMG_60061.jpg

The laser cut is 99,99 % correct and goes through the sheets (I guess CAF has used a new laser generation - much much better than in my La Salamandre kit (which was already very good)
IMG_60081.jpg

and this is the worst area - extremely good result - it will be a pleasure to make these frames
IMG_60091.jpg

The final frames in a 3D-animation
frame.jpg.7249adf2ea5561f5cb572c6682827e9b.jpg

One of a special sheet is this one, with a combination of laser cut and in addition cnc for the rabbets and bevel -only some cleaning and cosmetics are necessary to prepare the part
-> Very good result and will make the life of the modeler much easier
IMG_60171.jpg

The kit contents also some stern parts which are fully cmc shaped. Only some cleaning is necessary to get the naturally very complex shapes
IMG_60181.jpg

frame1.jpg.aa4cd27896d5e2502138d4d5d997e247.jpg

to be continued ..... please take also a look in the following posts

Kit Review: PART 2
LE COUREUR
french lugger
POF-kit

I checked the thickness of different sheets for the frames - very important especially when you build double frames, but also for this kind of frames a continuous thickness is helpful - CAF did also here a very good job
IMG_60101.jpg
These are the "extreme" sheets (maximum 0,05mm difference - the layer of wooden glue is thicker)
IMG_60111.jpg IMG_60121.jpg IMG_60131.jpg

The prepared frames
8b4ac1a297.jpg

5f9397f30e.jpg

The stern construction with the use of the cnc produced elements
cca4ccfaaf.jpg

Box 2 - Content and closer look

IMG_60451.jpg

everything fits well inside the box - also here no movement of the parts during transport is possible - very well packed and prepared
IMG_60461.jpg

complete overview of the content of Box 2 with one pack of wooden sheets (sealed separate in a plastic covering to avoid moisture), one separate back of wooden rods, two small boxes with the fittings, sail cloth
IMG_60471.jpg

This box contents also three laser cut plywood sheets for the necessary adjustments of the jig, and also a model stand
I think also, that some parts are templates for later work of the interieur, but I am not sure - the time will show it to us
IMG_60481.jpg

included also are four laser cut sheets of maple for the deck planking - with a good nailing pattern and some mixing (left and right side) it will be a great result
IMG_60491.jpg

a closer look
IMG_60591.jpg

Now the hulls planking - first the inner planking which is often very problematic - CAF provides the modeler two sheets with the tapered planking
IMG_60511.jpg

a closer look
IMG_60601.jpg

and also the outside planking of the clinkered hull is already prepared. Every single plank is laser cut to the correct shape (if you built the frame-work correctly ;) )
IMG_60501.jpg

In the following you will see further laser cut sheets for the interieur, deck houses and other elements

IMG_60521.jpg

all sheets are prepared in a very good way - clean crispy laser lines - First class quality
IMG_60531.jpg

some closer looks
IMG_60541.jpg

IMG_60561.jpg

here the laser cut is appr. only 0,2 to 0,3mm thick
IMG_60551.jpg

In addition we can find 3 sheets with the cnc machine prepared deck beams - here the notches for the carlings are already prepared

IMG_60691.jpg

closer look
IMG_60581.jpg

Kit Review: PART 3
LE COUREUR
french lugger
POF-kit

Strip wood and dowels
for the masts and yards

strips are mainly from Cherry, but also Boxwood and Maple
IMG_60641.jpg

very good quality
IMG_60651.jpg

And here the round material - 7 different sizes of best quality
IMG_60681.jpg

IMG_60661.jpg

IMG_60671.jpg

also included are some brass wire
IMG_60631.jpg

The kit contents also canvas material for making the sails - in my opinion such a lugger ship should have the sails installed - this type of ships were very fast sailor
I tried to catch the quality of the canvas in the photo - a very fine material and I think a good basis
IMG_60701.jpg

IMG_60711.jpg

Kit Review: PART 4
LE COUREUR
french lugger
POF-kit

The fittings

The fittings and other small parts are the content of two additional smaller boxes - the detailed content of each box is marked on the outside

IMG_60721.jpg

each box is filled with very nice prepared parts
IMG_60731.jpg

In the following I will show the complete content following the numbering by CAF

The overview of Box 1
IMG_60761.jpg

In the following close up photos of the individual plastic bags
IMG_60771.jpg

IMG_60781.jpg

IMG_60791.jpg

IMG_60801.jpg

IMG_60821.jpg

IMG_60831.jpg

IMG_60851.jpg

IMG_60861.jpg

IMG_60871.jpg

The overview of the second box
IMG_60891.jpg

some closer looks
IMG_60901.jpg

IMG_60911.jpg

IMG_60921.jpg

IMG_60931.jpg

IMG_60941.jpg

IMG_60951.jpg

IMG_60961.jpg

The Photo-Etched brass sheets

IMG_60341.jpg

and the smallest parts for the guns....... puh
IMG_60331.jpg

Also included was a beautiful nameplate,
cnc carved in boxwood, which is part of CAFs initial free gift promotion - only some small cleaning necessary
IMG_60611.jpg

IMG_60621.jpg

Kit Review: PART 5
LE COUREUR
french lugger
POF-kit

The Manuals and drawings

Included are two colored manuals in english language, in combination with the illustrations explaining the different working steps

IMG_60201.jpg

Manual 1 with 15 pages manual is showing the construction of the building jig, preparation and assembly of frames and the basic construction of the hull structure. At the end you will find clear understandable parts list
IMG_60211.jpg

IMG_60221.jpg

IMG_60231.jpg

Manual 2 has 50 pages showing the external and internal planking of the hull, the interior structures and elements like compartments, cabinets, pumps, stove etc. This manual is showing also in detail the masts, yards and rigging in a very good and detailed way. At the end of the manual as usual the several pages showing the parts identification
IMG_60251.jpg

IMG_60261.jpg

IMG_60271.jpg

IMG_60281.jpg

IMG_60291.jpg

IMG_60301.jpg

The Drawings

This time you will find several separated sheets and not like in the past (f.e. La Salamandre) all details on one oversized wallpaper -> a very good step
The drawings are either rolled or folded, and in full size in scale of 1:48

Folded drawings
IMG_60351.jpg

IMG_60361.jpg

IMG_60371.jpg

The biggest plan in DIN A 0
IMG_60381.jpg

The set of rolled drawings
IMG_60391.jpg

IMG_60401.jpg

IMG_60411.jpg

IMG_60421.jpg

IMG_60431.jpg

IMG_60441.jpg

My final comment and opinion
about this kit: (and I want to state that I made some direct experience already with chinese kits over the last years)

No long words

The timber material, fittings, used design and production techniques, laser cutting, manuals and drawings ....... very good quality
CAF is showing with every new release, that it they are able to produce once more a better kit.
Although such a small clinker ship especially as a POF has its challenges, CAF tried to help the modeler to make such a model possible.
And it looks like CAF solved a lot of these challenges for us.

This kit is highly recommended, especially for this very reasonable price

Many Thanks to TOM from CAF -> You did a very good job - a very good one !!!!

Due to the high interest in this kit, we prepared also a special area in our forum for everybody building this amazing model.
Take a look at the group build area for the Le Coureur kit from CAF

It will be very helpful for all modelers to share the experience building the same kit.

also very helpful is the fact, that the manufacturer CAF, alias @CAFmodel is also a very active member in our forum,
so he will be able to help and assist during the construction.

Thank you for a top shelf review- I couldn't ask for a better demonstration of a kit if I tried.
Everything looks like the best quality- special mention goes to the Capstan and other CNC'd details, nails with nice heads and the clear, coloured and easy to follow instructions.

So one concern... the company has a "qq.com" email address which bounces and their messaging system appears to be going unanswered. Should I should be worried after dropping nearly $500 on this model?

So one concern... the company has a "qq.com" email address which bounces and their messaging system appears to be going unanswered. Should I should be worried after dropping nearly $500 on this model?
No ,you should not,hundreds of people bought from Caf,also at least 20 members ordered the kit on Sos,Caf had very good customer service.

I agree with others. CAF has indeed a very good customer service. Hakuna matata! Why does the mail address bounce? I think it is not an e-mail address but a phone number for QQ instant messaging (kinda like whatsapp)

Hold me back!! I'm so tempted even though I'm committed for at least then next 3 years

I agree with others. CAF has indeed a very good customer service. Hakuna matata! Why does the mail address bounce? I think it is not an e-mail address but a phone number for QQ instant messaging (kinda like whatsapp)

I've read that email is supposed to work with it but it never has in the past for me. I will not be installing any Chinese apps on my phone either.

Back