Le Fleuron 1729 - 64 Gun Ship PoB Scratch Build in 1:48 - (Ancre Monograph-J. Boudriot/G. Delacroix)

Hello Everyone,

After 8 months of research and feasibility planning, I've decided to scratch build Le Fleuron. After reading all the great build logs on SoS and benefiting from everyone else's knowledge, I have decided to share my own. For me this will be a marathon and not a sprint.

Something about me.
This will be my first build log. This will also be my first "full" scratch build. I have a few kits under my belt, each progressively larger and more challenging. In each, I've found myself being faced with the usual kit issues. Materials, fittings, sometimes design elements were less than adequate. Some were related to quality of fittings or threads, but most of them were related to components being out of scale. So some I'd replace with after market products and others I reproduced myself, which I found to be personally rewarding. So rather than start another kit, I wanted to create something all on my own.
With that said, I needed to find a balance.

I needed to find a project that enabled my current skills to contribute to the progression of the project while at the same time offer some growth opportunities for me to develop scratch skills I feel I need to sharpen.

Why Le Fleuron?
1. I love her lines.
2. She is considered the first modern ship in the French navy. I liked the fact that Le Fleuron, while being an 8th century vessel, she still had elements from the 17th century, like jeer bits and round tops, among many other things.
3. As with many of us, I was inspired by other modelers with greater skills I aspired to some day reach. For me it was our SoS member, Andrey Kudin. Not just his build log, but his dry sense of humor. His innovated ways. His humility and certainly not least, his love for his son. While I've not seen a post from Andrey in over a year, I do hope he is well and he picks up where he left off at some point.

Why a PoB Scratch Build?
As mentioned earlier, in order for me to be successful I need to be honest with myself acknowledging what skills I possess and which I still need to develop. While I can swim, I would never attempt to cross the English channel only knowing the "doggy paddle". On top of that, I may be the only 66 year old with ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder).

So a PoF is out of the question as I knew I am not ready. I would lose focus during the repetitive mundane task of building frame after frame, after frame. Maybe my next build. However, I still wanted to be able to create scratch internal elements that existed below decks, but normally not fabricated in PoB builds. But how could I do both? A SHELL build.

The Shell Build (Shell on Thick Frames) or (Scorlup Method)
This is a method used by many Russian and Ukrainian master builders. It allows you to create an exoskeleton of the ship's hull by planking layers of planks on bulkheads, then removing the inner bulkheads, leaving you with a shell that allows you now to build the internal structures normally only associated with PoF builds. No frames!! Kind of like "boneless chicken wings"!

Project Approach
As my primary information source, I will be following Ancre's Monograph (Jean Boudriot/Gerald Delacroix). To supplement it, J. Boudriot's 74 Gun Ship Volumes 1-4. Beyond that, I expect I will need the help of our great SoS community. So thanks in advance guys!

Disclaimer
I am a proactive planner who is deliberate and somewhat risk adverse, which is an indirect way of saying I am SLOW. Anything I've not done before, or is a skill I am developing, I test, test, test. So not very agile. You have been forewarned.

In addition, while I will attempt to follow the French design and shipwright practices and standards of the time, there will be many exceptions. This is not a true historically accurate project. I will take artistic license where it makes me happy. Please keep that in mind when noting that a bolt is not where it should be.
Emoji

Apologies for the lengthy intro and thank you for joining me on my French journey. Now let's get to it.

There are a few really great Le Fleuron build logs t can call on for reference. Thank you all for sharing your build logs. I've followed them all, First to last page, more than once. If I've missed anyone, please let me know.

@Joachim
@KUDIN Andrey
@Randy Halter

The Shell (Scorlup) Method
Some background information. Credit to Igor Kapinos for his comprehensive article on the different methods of constructing ship's hulls, particularly the Scorlup method, which he refers to the "Plank on Thick Frames", which can be found towards the end of the article.

My shell planks will not be on "thick frames" for reasons to be outlined later. I will however, follow the core principles of the method.

See his article here:
http://sailmodel.ho.ua/present/pres.htm

Igor also has a wonderful Tutorial & Tips page

More to follow shortly and thanks for joining me!

To continue, "Plank on Thick Frames" requires the construction of bulkheads that are Master Station Frames. These are the key 16 frames of the 62 real frames that define the volume of the hull.

Each of these need to be reduced by a calculated % in order to offset the shell, which is 3 layers of 2mm x 10mm basswood planks. If we did not reduce the bulkheads by this amount and we added 6mm shell over the bulkheads then the external dimensions of the hull would be much larger than they should be.

So after calculating the reduction % of the bulkheads, copies reduced by the correct factor were made by Staples and triple checked vs. the plans. I needed to keep in mind the reduction is global and reduced the bulkheads in all directions. The only concern in this regard is the height of the bulkheads when building the shell.

Below shows the "keel or center spine" of the ship. The number vertical lines denote the position of the bulkheads.
20220225_104049.jpg

Vertical cuts in the center spine will accommodate the bulkheads. Cuts are made to the 1st deck, 20220227_160723.jpg

Demo.jpg

Bulkheads need to align with the keel/spine at each deck in order to ensure the all elements are aligned vertically.

20220225_110926.jpg

The image above shows both the keel on the bulkhead and center spine as well as the 1st deck are aligned. Now I need to go down the line with each bulkhead and double/triple check alignments of all bulkheads, before I start creating any sawdust.

In my next post, I'll try and explain with a little more clarity the shell approach.

20220225_110900.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, being my first build log, I decided to go back and read what I posted. ROTF The curse of my analytical and detailed nature. From this point forward rather than anticipate every question and provide the detail in advance, I will provide a higher level of sharing and answer questions that are posted.

We all know how bulkheads are fixed to the ships center keel. Please bear with me. I'll find my rhythm.;)

Taking the seat next to Paul, first row - why not! It should be a very interesting project. Did I miss the scale (between the lines) you are building the flower in?

Jim, as always, nothing gets by you! Five minutes after making my first post, I realized I forgot to include the scale and sent a PM to Uwe to add "1:48" scale in the title. Feel free to do so, if you would be so kind!
I guess one of us (Admins) already added the scale. She will be a nice scale to work on, this is one of the best scales to show details oftentimes omitted in the smallest scales.

Yes Jim, I chose 1:48 for that very reason. I could have gone with a Frigate or Corvette, but my heart was with Le Fleuron. And I think I'll need some of that passion to push me through some of the challenges.

Yes Jim, I chose 1:48 for that very reason. I could have gone with a Frigate or Corvette, but my heart was with Le Fleuron. And I think I'll need some of that passion to push me through some of the challenges.
There is great truth in this Ken. I have found that some of my energy/motivation comes from liking what I am building. Childish, aren't we? ROTF

I guess this is what differentiates a hobby from a job.

Indeed Paul. I know I will have "spurts and sputters" on the project. Hopefully, the "sputters" will be manage proactively through research and planning on my part. However, if not I can put the issue before all the great minds of our SoS friends to get me on the correct path. :)

One of the reasons I've started the Le Fleuron's construction now is that the North East U.S. has been in a heat wave for the last 2 weeks. Normally I'm outside fishing, playing golf or just hiking around our Allamuchy State Park. But it's just too dang HOT... So I'm staying inside and being productive. Once the heat has passed, I'll get back outside and enjoy nature again. Things may slow a bit, not stop, here until the fall again

Ok, back at it. I've double checked all the bulkhead dimensions and satisficed I can move forward with making cuts and sanding them down, close, but not to the perimeter line of each bulkhead. Once again, the bulkheads are made out of 6mm plywood and the center spine/keel is of 9mm plywood. This is a departure from the "Plank on Thick Frames" method, which I believe the bulkheads are 12mm. I chose this change to lessen the overall weight of the model. It may turn out to be my first mistake as thicker bulkheads would provide a wider and more stable surface for the shell planks to adhere to. However, I will be using filler blocks which should make up for the thicker bulkheads. We shall see.

20220217_193428.jpg

The second departure from the "Plank on Thick Fames" method will be how the upper bulkheads will be made stable throughout the shell planking process. Normally, the bulkheads are attached to a build board upside down and remain there until the planking is completed.
1659881611610.png

I decided not to do this. Mainly because of the size of the model, which has a hull length of 41in/104cm long. o_O;) So I will achieve the same stability of the upper bulkheads using reinforcement rods, as @KUDIN Andrey did.

Five cuts will be made in each bulkhead. 1) Two vertical cuts, top down to the 2nd deck mark. These cuts will accommodate reinforcement rods as stated. 2) One vertical cut (9mm wide) to allow the bulkhead to slide onto the center spine. 3) Two lateral cuts at the 1st deck line.

MF Cuts.jpg
These last two cuts are made to help the removal of all bulkhead material above the first deck once the shell has been completed. Otherwise it would be very difficult to get any type of saw in the crowded space later.
BH2 Detail.jpg

I'm going to make all these cuts first, then the outer edges of each bulkhead. Then sand the perimeter close to the outer dimensions.

See you soon!

Six hours on the band saw and jig saw creating a mess and all bulkheads are progressed to the point of dry fitting, once I build the thing they will be dry fitted to. :)

Profiling BHs.jpg
For the first two forward bulkheads, I did not cut down to the 2nd deck line as they were too narrow and doing so would make them a bit to fragile to work with. Better safe than sorry.

20220308_114545.jpg

20220308_120053.jpg

I just now realize that my progress may be slower than I initially thought. I will be double checking measurements on every element after every cut or sanding step. Any mistakes now will be multiplied by factors later. I have found a few little things I won't bore you with. I actually feel good when I find "little things".

Tomorrow, I will start building the center spine that the bulkheads are married to. This has one or two challenges as I cannot find a single piece of 9mm plywood and will need to build it from two pieces. The biggest concern will be to ensure it is PERFECTLY STRAIGHT.

Till next time.

Ok, being my first build log, I decided to go back and read what I posted. ROTF The curse of my analytical and detailed nature. From this point forward rather than anticipate every question and provide the detail in advance, I will provide a higher level of sharing and answer questions that are posted.

We all know how bulkheads are fixed to the ships center keel. Please bear with me. I'll find my rhythm.;)
But you know sometimes explaining what may appear to be the simple things can help a novice (like me) enormously :) .

I’m interested in following along and looking forward to learning from your log as you progress Ken. Looks like a really great project.

Back