Le Soleil Royal ZHL Build Log [COMPLETED BUILD]

Lot's of gun-box management on this project Vic! Seems like the kit designers need to rework some of the details...
Actually, I’m not complaining, Paul. It’s a nice kit and a wonderful ship. I’m learning a lot in the process and gaining new skills. As I told the admiral yesterday, it’s only wood. I can repair it with glue and clamps. (Yes, I dropped it yesterday and broke part of the stern.)

Happy (somewhat late) birthday. I am enjoying your build. You are almost convincing me to try another model from this company.

I’ve read in a couple of places that the stem should not be built using horizontal planks. The pieces were large pieces of wood that were jigsawed together. I haven’t been able to find any pictures of how this would look on the SR yet, but I’m projecting something like this. Any ideas?image.jpg
I bought some walnut veneer that I can use instead of the planking. image.jpg

Very nice deck planking work Vic. I like the color of the wood!

Very nice deck planking work Vic. I like the color of the wood!
Thanks, Heinrich. It’s teak. What do you think about the covering of the stem and the keel with the irregular pieces of walnut. The kit called for horizontal planks all the way up to the top of the stem or front of the keel. I thought I saw a different way to do that somewhere where it looks like a jigsaw puzzle.

Last edited:
I veneered over plywood. The design of my kit called for planking (like yours) and by adding the veneer I was able to preserve the proper dimensions. Plus I didn't have tools or stock at the time to create these pieces from scratch. I do now but probably would have still gone with the veneer. It looks quite realistic to me.

I hope I made it in time.Your vision of the components of the stem is wrong.They tried to collect the pieces along.As if they were building them on top of each other.Here are examples of how it was .See the drawings of Le Ambitieux

Attachments

• monographie-de-l-ambitieux-vaisseau-3-ponts-1680.jpg
    monographie-de-l-ambitieux-vaisseau-3-ponts-1680.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 26
  • post-13159-0-76194900-1432498928.jpg
    post-13159-0-76194900-1432498928.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 25
  • gde_al10.jpg
    gde_al10.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 26
  • minicharpente.jpg
    minicharpente.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 25
  • proue.jpg
    proue.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 22
I hope I made it in time.Your vision of the components of the stem is wrong.They tried to collect the pieces along.As if they were building them on top of each other.Here are examples of how it was .See the drawings of Le Ambitieux
That’s why I asked well beforehand. That makes a lot of sense, @Mr.Deep. I’m glad you joined in the discussion. In fact, I tried drawing it after I took this picture, and it looked closer to your picture. But yours is obviously more accurate. Just what I was looking for!

Last edited:
Back