Le Soleil Royal ZHL Build Log [COMPLETED BUILD]

@Mr.Deep, I noticed that you had a vertical swoop of black wood between the wales near the bow. I have not seen that on any of the other models what did you use to make it? It looks good. Also, I believe I have seen a model of picture of the ship where at least one gun port cuts into the wale towards the rear of the ship. Is that the way you did it? Did you place the wales before you planked the second skin?
View attachment 256398
Yes, I made these inserts between the wales.I saw them on Ambitieux drawings .This is a shkun .A small board placed under the anchor's paw, in order to avoid friction of the side when lifting the anchor.I also made inserts in the area of the main-fore- channes.Shrouds are attached to them.When covering, I first installed power belts,barkhouts.I was gluing a second skin between them.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 33
  • Ambit_5 (1).jpg
    Ambit_5 (1).jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
I get it, Jim. Right now I’m just playing with some ideas and experimenting on some carriages that will be covered by the deck. I do like the bigger front wheels. I don’t think I can get my lathe to do what you suggest. I’d need another chuck that would hold a bit. If I drill too deeply, the holes will definitely be off center. Fortunately, I have plenty of dowel if I make a mistake. I’ll look for an Exacto razor saw. I’d have to make a miter box. Maybe I could just saw along the edge of the vise?

I get it, Jim. Right now I’m just playing with some ideas and experimenting on some carriages that will be covered by the deck. I do like the bigger front wheels. I don’t think I can get my lathe to do what you suggest. I’d need another chuck that would hold a bit. If I drill too deeply, the holes will definitely be off center. Fortunately, I have plenty of dowel if I make a mistake. I’ll look for an Exacto razor saw. I’d have to make a miter box. Maybe I could just saw along the edge of the vise?
Would this work?
Miter box & Saw

We can say that all models are presented in the combat position of the ships.All the guns have been pumped out to the ports.The port covers are raised.The forward, retreating guns may have been moved from the side ports.You can just leave the front ports open, without guns.

Hey Vic, what you saw on my build may have been unique to my era of Dutch constructed ships. It was spoken of as a novelty by the museum researcher who reported on it. The relative uniqueness is why I presented two guns 'pulled back' to demonstrate how they did it on the Vasa.

You're doing a great job. I'm enjoying watching your build progress.

Yes, I made these inserts between the wales.I saw them on Ambitieux drawings .This is a shkun .A small board placed under the anchor's paw, in order to avoid friction of the side when lifting the anchor.I also made inserts in the area of the main-fore- channes.Shrouds are attached to them.When covering, I first installed power belts,barkhouts.I was gluing a second skin between them.
I have heard of these extra boards added to protect the hull from anchor bills.

I have heard that is where the term bill boards came from, as when in port and at a wharf, notices would be tacked to the boards looking for crew or cargo.

Thanks for the reply. Do any of the gun ports cut through the wales? (Barkhouts?)

Thanks for the reply. Do any of the gun ports cut through the wales? (Barkhouts?)
Barkhouts (Russian Бархоут)
Перевод и значение БАРХОУТ в английском и русском языках
усиленный ряд досок наружной обшивки в районе ватерлинии для придания прочности обшивки, ослабленной вырезами пушечных портов.

Wale (English) - a plank or set of planks running along the side of a wooden ship, thicker than the usual planking, and strengthening and protecting the hull.

Hi Vic. Are you sure about the red gun carriages?

Noooo… The kit instructions show red and most of the builds I’ve seen show red. Actually, I don’t know if anyone knows for sure. I’ve even seen guys go completely away from the types of guns that came with the kit. I’m not sure that anyone knows what it’s supposed to look like. But my daughter likes red, so red it is.

I am just looking at the other builds of the SR gun carriages and they all seem to be in natural wood colour. But hey, if your daughter likes red, who are we to argue?

Back