Le Soleil Royal ZHL Build Log [COMPLETED BUILD]

I did wind up adding a 2x2 mm strip to the bottom of the second gallery. The supports will now reach. I also wound up buying some mahogany 2x4 mm strips. Max said he’d send me what I need in sapele, but I’m adding extra to the balconies. I used the notched razor blade to score the 2x4s to make it look more like molding. I think it turned out good. Touch ups come later D5E3665B-EC0B-43AF-A5F9-7B3BCBF6AC6C.jpeg

I just received two new kits. A 16” Galilee boat and a 26” Galilee boat. Both are from Scott Miller, a Luthier (guitar maker). The smaller one has a square sail, and the larger seems to have a lateen sail. There’s no clear way of knowing which type of sail was on the first century boat found in the Sea of Galilee. Scott decided to make the smaller one with a square rig , but the larger one might take up too much lateral space. BDAA00DE-5745-4C76-A527-3FD39910F0E9.jpegD9A55BD8-A215-4F40-9864-A9A4A95599FA.jpeg
I’m making them for some pastor friends of mine after I get through with the Soleil.

I have to glue two spindles together for decorations on the stern galleries. They are tiny. 1E2306B0-0D55-4FD2-A0B0-9675DFD432B2.jpeg
I drilled a hole in a sanding block to receive one end of one spindle. Added a touch of ca and joined them together. This keeps them from bending or getting glue all over the place.
5498E686-229D-44E4-BE6C-5EC36316B40C.jpegF782B485-AEDB-4ED3-A78C-D393E20554BA.jpeg

The sanding block is helpful because I have to sand the bottoms of the spindles to get rid of the little knobs left from turning.

Last edited:
For her, it’s always summer and warm outside. It reminds me a little of Keats’ “Ode on a Grecian Urn,” where time stands still and beauty lasts forever. It’s not like real life where we get old, broken, and stiff. I’m starting to look forward to that day when I’ll have a better body. I wonder if there’ll be any pawlonia, lime wood, pear, sapele, or mahagony in heaven.

Last edited:
For her, it’s always summer and warm outside. It reminds me a little of Keats’ “Ode on a Grecian Urn,” where time stands still and beauty lasts forever. It like real life where we get old, broken, and stiff. I’m starting to look forward to that day when I’ll have a better body. I wonder if there’ll be any pawlonia, lime wood, pear, sapele, or mahagony in heaven.
If God is truly good then there will be! And he IS truly good.

For her, it’s always summer and warm outside. It reminds me a little of Keats’ “Ode on a Grecian Urn,” where time stands still and beauty lasts forever. It’s not like real life where we get old, broken, and stiff. I’m starting to look forward to that day when I’ll have a better body. I wonder if there’ll be any pawlonia, lime wood, pear, sapele, or mahagony in heaven.
stinkwood

Back