Le Soleil Royal ZHL Build Log [COMPLETED BUILD]

It seems that everyone struggles with posts and rails. I just never realized how bad I was at it till this build. Measure twice, cut once. Patience is a virtue. Slow and steady does the trick. And a whole lot more worn cliches.

Making the tight curves is tough with the soldering iron. It will be especially difficult when I get to the smaller curves.
View attachment 284188
Maybe you could cut a curved trim piece from solid sheet stock using a scroll saw (by machine) or a jewelers saw (by hand)??? My attempts to bend a stick of wood that much only created kindling...

Maybe you could cut a curved trim piece from solid sheet stock using a scroll saw (by machine) or a jewelers saw (by hand)??? My attempts to bend a stick of wood that much only created kindling...
I get it, Paul. A scroll saw is on my wish list for next Christmas. I’ve already made some kindling today and burned my fingers for payment. It also looks like I need to replace a couple of posts because they’re too short. It’s amazing the things you see in the pictures. I missed them when looking directly at them with my eyeballs.

I get it, Paul. A scroll saw is on my wish list for next Christmas. I’ve already made some kindling today and burned my fingers for payment. It also looks like I need to replace a couple of posts because they’re too short. It’s amazing the things you see in the pictures. I missed them when looking directly at them with my eyeballs.
Paul, you did a great job with your railings. This is some very meticulous work, isn't it?

Vic, Christmas is far away !!!
I also struggled quite a bit with these rails. IN the end, I used a slightly thinner plank that was easier to bend.
Paul's idea to use a solid piece of wood is definitely an excellent one. I am just like you Vic, no scroll saw either :confused::confused:

No need to wait for the scrollsaw, at least for the current task. You can use a dowel with a suitable diameter. Don't cut the plank to the correct size, use the entire length soak in the hot water for 10 about 10 minutes. Using the center of the plank, slowly bent around the dowel. If it doesn't bend, soak again until the timber is soft and pliable. Once it is bent, leave it to dry before cutting it to the correct shape.

Considering stations, they are different in length and don't look good, IMHO. I remember you bought the miter saw. Setup the required length and saw as many stations as you need. They will be the exact same size and perfectly square at the base and top.

No need to wait for the scrollsaw, at least for the current task. You can use a dowel with a suitable diameter. Don't cut the plank to the correct size, use the entire length soak in the hot water for 10 about 10 minutes. Using the center of the plank, slowly bent around the dowel. If it doesn't bend, soak again until the timber is soft and pliable. Once it is bent, leave it to dry before cutting it to the correct shape.

Considering stations, they are different in length and don't look good, IMHO. I remember you bought the miter saw. Setup the required length and saw as many stations as you need. They will be the exact same size and perfectly square at the base and top.
I’ll try the dowel method. I am using the miter box and razor saw. On the posts (stations) I tried just measuring and cutting on the miter box. I guess the pencil mark was too thick. I’ll try coming up with a jig on the box to make them the same lengths.

I’ll try coming up with a jig on the box to make them the same lengths.
Here is the simple jig exactly what I mean.

IMG_2257.jpeg

Also, before cutting the station near the circle ports, first, shape them to conform to the port's shape, then measure and cut out with a miter box.

Making the tight curves is tough with the soldering iron. It will be especially difficult when I get to the smaller curves.
View attachment 284188
Good morning Vic.....and I thought the Victory was a challenging build. This is a complex ship and well done thus far. I am with Jim Re your stanchions. She is too good to have those gaps on her. Cheers

That's perfectly fine, actually, it is great. A person who can criticize themselves can see their own mistakes better than others. I am sure your next model you will miss less, because of your gained expe

View attachment 284188
In reference to the curves,,, I took 4,,, .5mmx6mm sapella, soak in water , cut to desired length, sandwich glue in between and wrap around something of the diameter you want and hold with rubber band over night. It takes a little fiddling, but it works. Make sense? I just used a small pill bottle. That way, you get a consistent shape.

Last edited:
Tried using a dowel and hot water. It broke.
I would wonder what type of wood do you use, from the above images, I can assume it is Walnut (my best guess) or?? I can see, you tried bending from the end. Try bending from the middle! Maybe you didn't soak it well, perhaps this type of wood is brittle? What thickness is your plank, Vic? 2mm?

Back